🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael C

My wife and I have a 13 month old boxer pitbull mix who weighs 65 lbs and about a 10 week old American Bandogge Mastiff. We have been feeding both dogs since we got the first one Blue Buffalo life protection. We haven’t had any problems with the food and the puppy especially seems to like it. I have been on these forums and i have scoured the internet for ratings on dog food, articles on nutrition for large breed puppies, and researched pricing. Throughout all of this i have realized that every dog is different and whay may work for one dog may not work for another. I saw the list that was posted i think on page 7 of the Canine nutrition forum that was a pdf showing 4 and 5 star dog foods with appropriate nutrition for large breed dogs. The woman who posted it said blue buffalo wasnt on there because she called but they did not release the details to her. My questions are: Does anyone know the brand Pinnacle and have any information or ratings to pass off to me? How do most people feel about blue buffalo wildnerness? I will try my best to stay away from any food produced by DIAMOND and mostly try to stay away from food that has been recalled. I have checked that list and saw blue buffalo back in 2011 i believe for too much viatmin D but if there are other brands that offer the same or better health benefits as wildnerness but i dont have to fork out $70 for a 30 lb bag that would be great. Thank you very much for you input.

#57074 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

In my opinion, you are paying the big bucks for BB’s advertising, not for what is in the bag. I wouldn’t use it. They have had many quality control issues and just ignored them. I would rather feed Nature’s Variety Instinct or Earthborn Holistic. I would definitely not feed a large or giant breed dog anything not on Hound Dog Mom’s list. Companies that wouldn’t answer her questions have something to hide.

#57078 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I second the Nut’s recommendations and her opinion of Blue Buffalo.

By the way, the list you mentioned has been revised. Here’s the most recent one:https://docs.google.com/viewer?srcid=0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk&pid=explorer&efh=false&a=v

I looked at that list and there are several Pinnacle foods on it.

HDM hasn’t been updating the list because she’s been really busy with some other things, plus there’s a list of recommended foods for LBP’s in the Editor’s Choice section now. Have you looked at that list?

#57084 Report Abuse
    Michael C

I’m not an editors choice member so I can’t see it. Why do you all not like blue buffalo ? Is it a bad dog food?

#57085 Report Abuse
    Michael C

I also started thesame thread in the general feedback forum and hound dog mom responded to me on that in already. Just trying to give my pups the best food for a long healthy life

#57088 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Bcn it gave the sort version of why most people here dislike bb

#57089 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

A few months back, there was an entire year of many, many complaints about dogs having issues on BB, including many dogs that had been on it for quite some time. BB told each successive person that they had not had any complaints about their food. They have multiple companies making their food and apparently it is too difficult for them to keep track of their own quality control.

#57092 Report Abuse
    Michael C

So what dog food brands do you all use ?

#57094 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Nature’s Variety Instinct, Nature’s Logic’ Earthborn, Canine Caviar, Annamaet, Acana, and any others that my dogs tolerates and I like.

#57095 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I like those the Nut (hope she doesn’t mind I like to call her that sometimes 😉 ) mentioned plus Horizon, Wellness, Petcurean (Go! & Now Fresh), Brother’s Complete and Dr. Tim’s.

#57106 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t have a puppy but my favorite foods are:

Kibble: Farmina, Dr Tims, Annamaet, Natures Logic, Brothers.

Dehydrated: The Honest Kitchen

Premade raw: Vital Essentials, Primal & Darwins

#57108 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My brain was fried last night. I knew there was a food that I left off my list, but I couldn’t think what it was. I stopped writing 3 times to try and come up with it. You know I would have had Brothers on my list, if my brain was working.

No, DF, I don’t mind at all if you refer to me as the Nut, but if the one we used to call the Nut ever comes back, we’ll have to find a new name for her. Oh wait a minute, she already has so many.

#57137 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

The old list will no longer be updated now that the EC includes a puppy food section.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #57139 Report Abuse
    Michael C

hound dog mom: So am i going to have to spend a bit more money on the pricey dog foods for my pups in order to ensure their health and well being? I’d like to try and avoid spending $70 for a 30 lb bag but looking online at different sites for the prescribed puppy foods on the list, it is hard to find any that are even under $60. Any advice?

#58693 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Michael C,

Be careful of excessive calcium in foods for your puppy! Too much Calcium has been linked to serious problems in Large Breed Puppies!

All of the BROTHERS COMPLETE formulas are TOO HIGH in Calcium for a Large Breed puppy like your 10 week old “American Bandogge Mastiff”.

There are 2 places on this website to find info on foods for Large Breed Puppies. One place is in the Editors Choice section which has a paid membership and the other is in the forums under the topic: Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition
    /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

#58700 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The old large and giant breed puppy list is on page 15. I would stick to a food on that list. NutriSource has a food on the list and they are a bit cheaper.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.