šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

hello, i have read most 5 stars grain free food reviews, however, i am still a bit confused on how to select a brand appropiate for the needs of my 3 labs. can someone pls clarify for me? i have a lab that gains weight with any food except hills prescription diet, which my vet recommended, however, i am not please with the ingredients. pls help.

#76441 Report Abuse
    Leora H

I have the same trouble with my Border Collie every since she was spayed. My vet also recommends Hills higher grade dry dog food (except Lamb because it seriously upsets her stomach). And I have an Aussie and an old Cocka-poo (10 years)–They need some grains per my vet–and all this advertising has me totally confused as to what to feed them. Valid suggestions–and budget ideas would be great–

#76443 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Maria- My dog is not very active because of the summer heat down here in the south and he maintains an ideal weight with foods high in protein (above 30%),moderate to low in fat(low being under 10%, moderate probably being 10-20% just in my opinion) and low in carbs (something 30% or under on a dry matter basis). Also, your dogs will not loose weight without cutting back on how much they are eating as well. You need to feed them based on the weight you want to see them at, not the weight they are. Also, they can not be free-fed.

Leora- Same info applies to you as well. Not sure exactly what your budget is because everyone’s is different.

#76457 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Earthborn has some good quality reasonably economical foods. I am having a much easier time maintaining my JRTs weight since I switched her to high protein moderate fat foods. I have to wonder if some of the metabolic issues with spayed and neutered dogs are an indication that they don’t handle high carb foods well anymore.

I feed between 35 and 50% protein and 20 to 25% fat. She eats more calories than she did when she was on higher carb foods, but she is way more active and went from acting her age(12 at the time) to acting like a young dog again. She is currently 14 1/2 and going very strong. She went from a difficult to keep there pudgy couch potato 16 lb dog when I got her to an easy to keep there trim athletic 12.5 lb dog. Now, the only sign of her age is that she no longer jumps up into my arms and she has some gray on her muzzle.

I have absolutely no idea why a vet would say that any given dog needs some grains, fiber yes, grains specifically, no. That isn’t to say that you should jump on the grain free bandwagon, just that there is no reason to eliminate that entire class of foods. There is nothing magical about grains.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.