🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Barry O

Is there a down side to high protein?

#49535 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Aside from perhaps some medical conditions, I wouldn’t think so. It’s definitely preferred to feed high protein and low carbs. Is there any reason you were asking?

#50014 Report Abuse
    Ly

I noticed BB Freedom puppy is 27% protein and the BB Freedom small breed is 30% protein. My yorkie’s poops on the 27% were perfect and the 30% were a little soft. I recently switched him to Orijen and that’s 38% and he had major diarrhea. So would higher protein make softer poops? And some dogs just can’t handle it? I think I’m going to go back to BB on 27%. But if that’s not the case, I want Orijen….it’s like the best it seems!

#50015 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

you may try some probiotics or pumpkin while you transition to the higher protein, especially orijen and other close to or over 40% proteins. Honest Kitchen’s Perfect Form is a nice one, and plenty of other options as well. 11% protein is quite a jump for your yorkie and if you have a sensitive stomach it may take a little bit for him to get used to it. But yes, some dogs do struggle with protein that is quite that high

#50016 Report Abuse
    Ly

Thanks! Right now I have him on the chicken and rice diet, as of Thursday night. And his poop is liquid orange now! Maybe I’m feeding him too much? idk?

#50018 Report Abuse
    Dori

Did you do slow transitions with the change of foods? Add digestive enzymes, etc.? 38% protein would be on the very low end that I would feed any of my three toy breed dogs.

#50019 Report Abuse
    Ly

His orange poops are from the chicken and rice though. I didn’t go very slow with the transition 🙁

#50022 Report Abuse
    Dori

Fast transitions as you now know are always pretty much a bad idea. Diarrhea is the result.

#50024 Report Abuse
    Ly

So eventually on this chicken and rice it’ll get better?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.