šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    laney.delaney
    Participant

Hi, everyone!

I work at a small pet food store in Seattle and I’m very much interested in pet nutrition and where the brands come from. I believe I have a very good idea of what makes a dog food healthy, this site has been quite helpful for that, but now I’d like to feel well-versed on which brands manufacture their own food and which ones don’t.

Not all are made my Diamond nor have sold out to Del Monte and Proctor & Gamble, Solid Gold for instance now makes the majority of their food.

Any input?

#19083 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Champion Pet Foods and Tuffy’s. Nature’s Variety has a plant but doesn’t make all their food there, just some. I’ve noticed plants that make feeds (horse/pig feed) also make dog food (but they’re not good quality).

#19087 Report Abuse
    laney.delaney
    Participant

Thanks!

Also First Mate and Petcurean foods, I’m pretty sure.

#19652 Report Abuse
    Sully’sMom

Fromm is family owned and self-manufactures.

#19659 Report Abuse
    Sully’sMom

Another one is Merrick Dog Foods – We are currently feeding Fromm and after much research, Merrick is my back up plan if I were to switch from Fromm for any reason (cost maybe)..

#19665 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Holistic Select and Wellness make their own foods. Wellness does not use Diamond anymore. I am going to admit, however, that I’m feeding TSC’s 4Health grain free now (made by Ainsworth). I’ve tried Merrick and still use some of their canned food, but I had some major issues with the kibble. Also, a lot of foods contain tomato pomace or carrots that I’ve narrowed down as an intolerance for one of my Cavaliers. They are doing wonderfully on the 4Health Whitefish. And I’m highly aware that Diamond makes their regular 4Health, but I dd buy a small bag of the small bites. It’s chicken based and some grain inclusive, no potato, tomato pomace or carrots. I actually consider it somewhat limited in ingredients. I may mix this in, too. Also, the manager of my local TSC seems well versed in dog food/nutrition and is very nice and helpful. Even though I don’t really have a budget for their food, my husband is thrilled with the savings I’m getting with the 4Health lol.

#103175 Report Abuse
    joanne l

not all wellness products are made there.

#103179 Report Abuse
    a c

I am not a big fan of Diamond pet food since that containmentation in mid 2000’s that killed and sicken many dogs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.