🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vfs

Hello everyone,

I have a wonderful rescue dog, his name is Lenny. He is 4 years old, 20lb, white coat, just adorable. Ive been feeding a mix of Science Diet dry and wet food for quite a while now. He eats twice a day and poops 3 to 4 times a day (normal poop). I mentioned to the Vet and he told me that its normal…I started searching about Science Diet and Ive been seeing some really bad reviews so Im ready to get him a better food. He poops so many times, so it does say what type of quality Science Diet might be but by my vets recommendation, I was continuing feeding him Science Diet. Any recommendation for a good quality dry and wet food for Lenny? Thanks a bunch.

#51323 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Science Diet is not a good food. Some foods I’d look at are Farmina, Annamaet, Natures Logic, Victor. A lot of us here order online. Chewy.com, SportDogFood.com, Wag.com and PetFlow.com are places I order from.

#51355 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I agree with Marie. Earthborn Holistic is also a good, affordable option. 🙂 Kibble size is small enough for my 13.5-lb dog, so your 20-lb pup should be able to handle it. As for other affordable options – Dr. Tim’s, Victor, and, in some places, NutriSource, are great options. In my area (Kennesaw/Marietta, GA) NutriSource is severely overpriced, but online you can more often than not find great deals on it and other foods. 🙂

#51372 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

For what’s best, I like to say VARIETY! Kibble, canned, raw (frozen, dehydrated or freeze-dried), and fresh food such as meat protein and low starch veggies. I do tend to stick with 4 stars and above.

#51382 Report Abuse
    vfs

Thanks everyone. I just purchased Annamaet. Let`s see if Lenny will enjoy it. 🙂 Tks again!

#51419 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Vanessa, which Annamaet did you purchase? Make sure you transition from one food to the next. Let us know how it goes!

#51421 Report Abuse
    vfs

Marie, I bought Annamaet Grain-Free Salcha Poulet Formula Dry Dog Food and I hope is the right one. Lenny likes when his dry food has small bites so hope I got it right. It was hard to figure it out actually because on the food description it was just saying for all dogs. He wont eat if they have big chunks.... Its funny that you mentioned about the transition. His science diet dry food is over so I bought a small pack of a basic dry food until I get Annamaet delivered and he is not eating at all, he is eating only the wet food that I mix with it. I guess I`m doing all wrong… 🙁 How should I do the transaction to one food to another? I appreciate all your help! Tks

#51422 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Generally, you add a little new food to the old (removing some of the old), gradually adding more new, less old. Look at stool. If it’s loose or too soft, add more old.

Am I reading correct that you bought a different food, not SD and he’s no testing that? If yes, just feed him the wet food he is eating. I’ve cold turkey changed foods & it sounds like that’s what you may be doing.

#51749 Report Abuse
    vfs

Hi everyone,

My Annamaet Grain-Free Salcha Poulet Formula Dry and Wet Dog Food arrived 3 days ago and Ive been mixing Science Diet dry and wet with the new food until he gets used to Annamaet only. Lenny has been eating it however I noticed that his lower back has becoming very sensitive. He always loved when we used to scratch his lower back area but now its different. It seems very sensitive, very itchy. He is scratching his eyes too, but not too often. Just by touching his lower back, he already “jumps out” and kind of ask for us to scratch it. Long story short, something its different and Im not sure if it could be by the new food. Should I get back to Science Diet only and see if Annamaet is the one causing irritation on his skin? Another thing that it might have affected: About a week ago, my husband found a flea on him. I religiously use once a month Advantage or Advantix and I was surprised about the flea. I ended up applying Advantage as soon as we found out about the flea (this was 3 weeks after I applied Advantix on August). So I`m very confused if his skin irritation could be caused by the flea or food. Any advice? Thanks a bunch.

#51757 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Vanessa, in summer I have to put the advantage spot on every 3 weeks on my cat it doesnt last the full month, try doing it every 21-25 days instead of monthly & see how he goes……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.