🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jewel0247

Hi all,
    My doggy had a pancreatitis episode 2 weeks ago and was hospitalized for a day. She made a good recovery. Placed her on bland diet sweet potato and puréed chicken breast and transitioned to raw primal venison (she loved it! She was on darwins before). We ended up at the vet Monday with vomiting… She vomited undigested food 6 hrs after her dinner :/ and then vomited several more times even water the next day. The vet thought she ate too fast or she maybe was over fed? I think her pancreas is still upset and she couldn’t digest the food or too high in fat?

I’m at a loss what to give her now. We’re back on sweet potato and puréed chicken doing fine (of course on nausea med). Trying a sample of zeal here and there but she’s not crazy about it. She’s a very picky dog.. Will go on hunger strikes and vomit bile. :/ scared to give her primal.

Looked for homemade recipes but it seems complicated and I’m not sure what to portion out for a 12 lb dog :/.

Appreciate any input!!

#81591 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What does your vet recommend? I would keep her diet simple. My senior does well on Nutrisca salmon and chickpea (canned and dry) 3-4 small meals a day with water added, kibble soaked overnight.

Homemade diet recipe and tips: http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pdf

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

PS: I would not give a dog with the issues you describe, raw food, in any way, shape or form. Especially not a senior.

#81592 Report Abuse

I’m sorry to hear about this 🙁 I would strongly recommend trying bone broth for your girl while she’s still having issues with nausea and vomiting. It’s got many beneficial vitamins and minerals in it that will be easily digestible to your dog. You can buy bone broth from some specialty pet stores already made (popular brand Honest Kitchen makes some) but it’s really easy to do yourself! It’s not a complete and balanced diet, but starting your dog back onto regular food isn’t always easy and this is a solid, nutritious start. Regarding raw, I disagree with the previous poster in that raw isn’t good for a dog in this condition. I think you may just want to keep her fat intake to a minimum. Darwins is notorious these days for high fat levels so if you’re looking for a brand with a lower fat content, try Natures Variety Instinct Frozen Raw.

Here’s a link to bone broth!

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/reasons-your-dog-love-bone-broth/

#81715 Report Abuse
    Emily G

Hello,

I wanted to share my experiences with pancreatitis. Years ago my german shepard had an acute case and we almost lost her. She would not touch the prescription food the vet gave us so we make her food ourselves. We found that she did well on the leanest beef, and as all white meat chicken and turkey (we bought the breast only.) We cooked the meat as she was picky eater and seemed to prefer the food cooked when at her sickest. We rinsed the cooked meat after it cooked to rinse off any extra fat that she did not need. We added preferance by the honest kitchen or used our own blend of crushed vegetables and added pumpkin or sweet potatoe. If we feed the vegetable blend, we will add calcium from eggshells. She did well. After a time she handled the meat raw but raw bones she never did though bones have more fat. It would make her act like she did not feel well so we kept this up with this recipe for a long time, and gradually found she could have most kinds of meat just as long as it was lean (lamb and duck were no, and she ate fish and eggs very occasionally once she was healthy.)
    I will agree with the bone broth. We didn’t make it first but once started it seemed to help heal her digestive from the irritation caused of vomiting. For treats use bites of meat and she cannot have cheese or dairy (too much fat.) Also give coconut oil if tolerated. We use no grains. Keep stress low and water bowl clean and lots of sunshine. Feed more meals instead of one or two. A day of fast can help. I hope I can help and am sorry English is not my first language. I hope you can understand my writing.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Emily G.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.