šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nina M

Hi! I have a picky 7 month old puppy. She is a Maltese/Poodle mix and is currently just under 18 lbs. She is gaining well, although is on the leaner side, and appears healthy and happy, but often does not finish her food. She’s on her third brand of kibble since we got her (Merrick Grain Free Puppy). I add a scoop of canned, freeze-dried raw, etc. to every meal, and sometimes she likes it, other times, she doesn’t. Her stool looks perfectly normal and she has never had any vomitting or diarrhea. I’ve been reading the reviews of dog foods and it seems like even the best ones have the potential to not agree with a dog (or worse!) My question is: should I keep her on the Merrick because she appears to more or less be thriving on it even though she doesn’t love it? Or do I switch her again? Thanks for your help!!

#82174 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ll be blunt: she’s picky because you’ve allowed it. It’s time for “Tough Love”: pick a food. Leave it down for 15 minutes. Whatever is not eaten is picked up & she gets nothing until the next meal.

#82175 Report Abuse
    Nina M

I hear you, I hear you! I have done this for short periods of time and the behavior has not changed. I have been reluctant to do it for longer because she is a growing puppy and it seems like more is at stake if her nutrition intake is not up to par. But your point is well taken. Thanks for the reply.

#82186 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

Hi Nina,

We have two very picky maltese (not unusual for the breed) and found the freeze dried and dehydrated foods to be the most palatable for them, and also healthier than dry and canned. It’s also a joy for me to see their anticipation as I prepare their favorite foods, then watch them enjoy every bite. My pups bring so much love and laughter to our home, giving them healthy, delicious foods is the least I can do for them!

Here is my reply to another dog owner with a picky pup. I think I left out Dogs for the Earth, one of their favorites….expensive but worth every penny. And occasionally I buy Wellness Core Air Dried or Wellness Tru Food because they are very palatable and easy to serve when pressed for time. Both come in puppy formulas. I try to keep dry food under 25% of their diet.
    /forums/topic/very-picky-eater/

I hope you find some foods your pup loves!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by JeffreyT.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by JeffreyT.
    #82199 Report Abuse
    Nina M

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have no doubt my girl would love freeze dried and dehydrated foods for her regular diet. My concern is cost of these foods, but you have given me several brands to check out and perhaps I could find a more cost-effective way to make this happen for my puppy. So far, she has only tried Stella and Chewy’s which she really enjoys when I have given it to her sans kibble in a little warm water. Thank you again for sharing your experience and wisdom!

#82201 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

Your welcome Nina. I understand the dilemna. If I had big dogs, freeze dried would be too expensive, and I’d probably do more home cooking, and just use freeze dried as toppers. You may want to check out Nutrisca…it’s more economical than the other freeze dried foods. Good luck with your search!

#82202 Report Abuse
    Nina M

Thank you, I’ll check it out!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.