šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    mfulton7

So I’m back again with more questions, haha! Those of you that remember me I have the Doberman whos is 14 wks, shihpoo that is 9mths, and a 2yr old chi.
    The shihpoo had a lot of skin issues and we found out she has pemphigus so we have already tried a few different types of dog with her. When we brought the dobie home we had the dogs on signature trout & salmon. The dobie had way to many poos a day so we switched to Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. They’ve been on that for 4-5 wks now. The dobie and shihpoo have horrible gas and the dobie also has loose stools off and on. She also itches a lot and has scabbing under her armpit areas. A food intolerance had been suggested to me from the large breed thread and Im thinking that is correct.
    Since then I’ve been researching the ingredients and have found the signature and the earthborn holistic both fish have very similar ingredients. Quite a few different types of peas. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are listed as well but are further down the list.
    All this being said would you think that the problem is peas, fish or potatoes? Also what other budget friendly dogs food should we try?

#27947 Report Abuse
    mfulton7

Thanks!

#27952 Report Abuse

Ok, so you are looking for a food that is free of fish, peas, and potatoes that is acceptable for a large breed puppy, right?

You could try the Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast. There is no fish or potatoes (white or sweet) in it. If there is no improvement, then it could be the peas.

If you don’t mind grains, Nature’s Variety Large Breed Puppy has no peas or potatoes but it does have salmon oil. Pinnacle Chicken & Oatmeal has no fish or peas but does have potatoes. The Victor Select Chicken Meal or Lamb Meal are both free of peas, fish, and potatoes. They are budget-friendly too. On Amazon the 40lb bag of Chicken Meal & Rice formula is $55.

You might have to go through the list of appropriate foods for large breed puppies and look at the ingredients in each one. Then you can determine if the price is right and if you can get your hands on it. I wish you the best of luck!

#27953 Report Abuse
    mfulton7

Thank you rescuedanemom. I’m thinking peas are the problem. However I did notice that the earthborn holistic coastal catch contains peas, potatoes and sweet potatoes BUT the potaoes were further down on the list. Peas were the first few ingredients in coastal catch and the zignature. A food without peas is what I’m thinking we should try but the searching is exhausting! I guess I will go back through the list and read through the ingredients.

#27956 Report Abuse

Your welcome. Yes, it might be tough because so many grain-free foods are including peas and other legumes now.

#27959 Report Abuse
    mfulton7

Just what I was afraid of, ha ha!

#27961 Report Abuse
    #85794 Report Abuse
    kim b

I have been buying some pea free food as well as grain, wheat, soy and oat free so try these:
    FirstMate Wild Tuna Formula Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 12.5-oz, case of 12
    Farmina Natural & Delicious Wild Cod & Ancestral Low-Grain Mini Breed Formula Dry Dog Food, 5.5-lb bag
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Wild Boar & Brown Rice Formula Canned Dog Food, 13-oz, case of 12

#86438 Report Abuse
    Catherine G

Great Life has tapioca, carbs.

#89479 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

No peas/potatoes: NutriSource Grain Free High Plains Select.

#94096 Report Abuse
    Irena K

My dog has pea, oatmeal, n sweet potato allergy. I tested it with (DNA allergy tested kit). We’ve been pretty lucky with natural balance potato n duck formula and lamb meal n brown rice formula. Both has no three ingredients that my dog allergic to. Also, purina beyond (if u dont mind purina) simply 9 the chicken barley or lamb barley has none of those 3 ingredients that my dog allergic to as well. So hope this help. I know how hard it is to find food for dog that allergic to thos le ‘good’ ingredients. But it is what it is. Good luck!

#97024 Report Abuse
    Tiffany N

Hi Irene,

I was wondering if you could explain more about the DNA allergy test you did to find out what your dog was allergic too. I’ve been trying to a year now with the “trial and error way” and I’ve gotten no where I feel like. Is this a test you get down somewhere or a home test ?!

Thank you!

#97026 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Mail-in hair and saliva tests are not diagnostic tools (just read the fine print).
    See the blog below:

Glacier Peak Holistics Pet Wellness Life Scan Stress Test or How Much BS Can Fit on One Web Page?

Excerpt from the link above:
    Bottom Line
    ā€œThe Glacier Peak Holistics Pet Wellness Life Stress Scan (formerly ā€œHealthy Dog and Cat Alternative Sensitivity Assessmentā€) is a completely implausible test based on vague, mystical nonsense and pseudoscientific theories that contradict the legitimate scientific evidence regarding the cause and management of allergies. The general concept that hair and saliva testing can identify the causes of allergies is false. The marketing of this test is misleading and contains many of the hallmarks of quack advertising. Dog owners struggling with allergies would be far better spending their time and money consulting a veterinary dermatologist for a science-based approach to helping their canineā€.
    Also, per the search engine here: /forums/topic/desperate-food-recomendations-for-lab/

Review of Dr. Jean Dodds’ book Canine Nutrigenomics
    An excerpt from the above review by The Skeptvet:
    ā€œA fair bit of effort in the book goes to promoting a test called Nutriscan, which uses saliva to identify dietary sensitivities in dogs. Unsurprisingly, Dr. Doddsā€™ company owns Nutriscan, and equally unsurprisingly the mainstream community of veterinary nutritionists and dermatologists do not accept the legitimacy of her test because she has not provided any controlled evidence to show it is an accurate and useful test. She does provide a lot of citations to support her claims for this method, but if one takes the trouble to investigate them, they do not actually turn out to be compelling evidenceā€.: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/06/canine-nutrigenomics-by-dr-jean-dodds-science-as-windowdressing/

Mail-in saliva and hair tests are not helpful from what I have read. By the way, they are not cheap. I have read a lot of complaints that the test comes back positive for nearly everything. Then what? Plus, it is not an allergy test, itā€™s a food sensitivity test?
    I would consider seeing a veterinary dermatologist for accurate testing and the best treatment options.

#111743 Report Abuse
    Jenifer S

Hi! While searching for a grain free, pea and fish free dog food for my dog, I can across your post. Have you had any luck in finding anything? I was using “Sport Elite Chicken”, but, most unfortunately, they have went out of business. My vet did a blood test which confirmed that my Enzo; Maltese / Shih-Tzu Mix, was allergic to basically everything, including peas and fish. You can have the test (blood) done at your vet’s, but it is around $400.00 – very pricey, but we were desperate, poor guy is always itching, and he is on Apoquel, a Doggy allergy pill. I hope that you are having some luck!!!

#111744 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I skipped the blood test, the veterinary dermatologist told me after examination that her allergies appeared to be environmental. I had the intradermal skin test done and started asit (allergen specific immunotherapy). The test i’s not cheap but it’s the most accurate way to identify allergens.
    Asit is the most natural way to treat environmental allergies, the treatment is lifelong.
    My dog has been stable over 5 years. She eats a variety of different foods, but does best with Zignature
    whitefish kibble as a base.
    Frequent bathing with a vet recommended shampoo helps too.
    There is no cure for environmental allergies but there is effective treatment.
    Food allergies are rare, food sensitivities tend to fluctuate.
    Environmental allergies tend to wax and wane.
    Apoquel is prescribed for environmental allergies.
    /forums/topic/poop-less-and-scratching/#post-111715
    http://www.nevetdermatology.com/canine-atopic-dermatitis-treatment/ There are even newer treatment options since this article was written.
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=allergies

#112463 Report Abuse
    Gita W

FirstMate Wild – Most have potato as first ingredient.
    Farmina – careful some have pea protein and not all grain free
    Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Wild Boar & Brown Rice – not grain free

Nature’s Logic is grain and pea free. It uses millet.

I am still looking for others that are grain and pea free without a ton of potato.

#113577 Report Abuse
    Bazuhi

Jenifer S
    Where did you hear SportDogFood has gone out of business???
    The are reformulating all their food because they are planning on moving to a larger
    plant..the plant they used filed bankruptcy.
    I am also looking for food without pea anything, lentels, beans,
    chickpea… I was looking at SportDogFood but not sure if thier
    protien was to high for 13lb Yorkies.

#113587 Report Abuse
    Jenifer S

Hi Cathy,

I was told by Chewy that they were going out of business. I fed it to my 15 pound Maltese, because he is allergic to peas and that was one of the only food I could find to feed him. It was a great food, but I am no longer able to get it from the manufacture or from Chewy. Thatā€™s great to hear that they are moving to another planet, I wish I could get their food now. Hopefully soon! I think you should be able to feed it to you 13 pound Yorky as my baby is only 15 pounds. 😊

#113588 Report Abuse
    Jenifer S

Hi Cathy,

I was told by Chewy that they were going out of business. I fed it to my 15 pound Maltese, because he is allergic to peas and that was one of the only food I could find to feed him. It was a great food, but I am no longer able to get it from the manufacture or from Chewy. Thatā€™s great to hear that they are moving to another planet, I wish I could get their food now. Hopefully soon! I think you should be able to feed it to you 13 pound Yorky as my baby is only 15 pounds. 😊

#113735 Report Abuse
    M. F

Sport Dog Food’s website sends customers to this link to read about their growth and changes:
    https://sway.com/YyzMyzD9IWovf5jU

Quote from page:
    “We understand change never comes at a
    convenient time. We will continue to stay in
    close contact with you on Facebook with
    important inventory alerts, new formula release
    dates, Chewy and Amazon replenishment, and
    details on our new Buffalo formulas.

You can find answers to more of your
    questions here:

http://support.sportdogfood.com/index.php?/
    selfhelp/view-article/new-vs-old/257

Thank you again for all of your patience and
    continued support. ”

#118260 Report Abuse
    Bazuhi

Just sent Sport Dog an email in regards to the size of my dogs
    and if this would be a good food due to the protein and they do
    only show extremely active dogs.

I am still having a hard time

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.