šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Laura L

My lab mix just had a bout of pancreatitis. The vet said we caught it as it was starting and as a result she had a quick recovery, only requiring 1 night and day of IV and pain meds at the vet. She came home on the Purina EN diet which makes me cringe when I look at the ingredients. I have been researching foods for after this initial phase (we have acupuncture in a week that will also serve as a recheck) and found the Artemis fresh mix weight management formula with 6% fat and 20% protein. I have found that many of the foods that are low fat are also high protein so this seemed like a good combo. Does anyone have any ideas about this food or alternatives. My Cammie is almost 13 and is overweight at 80 pounds (lab mix). I also have another dog in the home so I would love to find something both of them can eat if possible (My other girl is very picky and is currently on Natures Variety Prairie but she rarely finishes her food and I would love to eliminate the risk of Cammie eating her food.

#64182 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Laura, you could try the Artemis weight management, there’s also Canine Caviar “Special needs” the fat is 9%,the Protein-18% fiber-5% it has less ingredients then the Artemis…..a few dogs in the Yahoo group called dogpancreatitis eat the Canine Caviar special needs kibble, you can join the Yahoo group called “dogpancreatitis” & ask what foods people are feeding, a few eat boiled turkey or boiled chicken with some pumkin & beans also use green beans as treats to lose weight also walking is good to lose some weight…. start off slow then after 1 month start to speed the walking up a bit, so she starts to burn calories…or throw a ball in the park….. I throw the ball up the hallway… Patch doesn’t play ball in the park, he only plays ball if its another dogs ball…

#64202 Report Abuse
    Laura L

Thanks Susan, I have signed up for the dog pancreatitis group so hopefully will be able to access the site soon. I had my girl on a low fat food in an effort to lose weight and she did not get into anything she should not have prior to this attack so I am kind of perplexed on the trigger. The vet thought we could reevaluate in a week regarding diet but I don’t want to go back on previous food which was not a good food anyway (prescription weight loss). I hated to put her on it in the first place but weight loss was a priority at the time. We walk daily but with the below zero temps we have been having that has been difficult to do consistently in recent weeks. She has one speed and it is slow, never had an interest in any toys and would just look at me if I threw a ball as if to say “why did you do that”. The thing she has loved best is doing therapy work and I just retired her in December secondary to her joint issues. Has anyone had success feeding the Fromm weight management formula (gold line) or Wellness complete healthy weight. I am not sure of the balance of fat, protein and fiber I am looking for as I am in the research phase.

#64252 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, there’s also Holistic Select Weight management it has 302 Kcal per cup, the Fromm weight management has 341 kcal per cup & the Wellness complete health is 325kcal per cup…….. Wellpet makes Wellness, Holistic Select & Eagle Pack foods… here’s Holistic Select link http://www.holisticselect.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog#category5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.