šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dolly
    Participant

Hi, I need help with my 13 year old dog with pancreaitis history. I saw some similar posts on here, but maybe not exactly what I was looking for. My dog has a very sensitive stomach, the only thing I could find that seemed to work was the Science Diet sensitive stomach, which I don’t want to feed. For now she’s eating about half wellness wet dog food, and half boiled chicken and rice, which seems to agree with her stomach well, but I’m sure is lacking in nutrients, and I’d like to get her away from rice due to the arsenic levels. I’d prefer to go grain free if possible, although that isn’t my primary objective. I would also love to be able to cook one food that is safe for both the dog and the cat, or something I could slightly modify for the cat, again though, that isn’t my main concern. Any suggestions/recipes would be helpful, as I don’t really know where to start. I don’t want to do raw. Also, she is on diuretics due to slight heart congestion, so anything heart healthy is great (we aready do fish oil pills). Lastly, I am terrible at cooking, so the simpler/less ingriedeints the better. Thanks!

#27195 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There’s a homemade cooked recipe at homemadedogfood.com (chicken and rice). It uses DinoVite and a fish oil supplement to make a complete diet. You might use quinoa or millet as a substitute for rice and of course decrease the fat content. There are some canned foods listed in the Low Fat Foods list. The Honest Kitchen Zeal formula is also low fat.

#27306 Report Abuse
    Dolly
    Participant

Thank you! The website was helpful, but I do have a few questions. Do you know the effects of substituting chicken legs and thighs in his suggested recipe with chicken breasts instead? My vet specifically instructed to feed chicken breasts, because of the lower fat content, but I have no idea if this has any other nutritional consequences? Also, is it ok to add vegetables every day? My dog really likes green beans and carrots, I understand they don’t digest them well, but my dog gets very loose stool when i only feed chicken and rice, even if only for a few days, my vet said adding some healthy fillers may help with this issue? Also, she really enjoys them, and the carrots help clean her teeth, we have a very limited bone selection due to her sensitivity to fat intake. Thanks again for the help, anyones suggestions are appreciated!

#27344 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You can use chicken breast, but you have to replace the calcium. Giving some veggies is ok too, but you need to use a little less rice to make up for the sugars in the carrots or any other starchy veg. You can add coconut oil to replace some of the fat, because it is a medium chain triglyceride and doesn’t tax the pancreas. Ask you vet about appropriate amounts and use organic virgin coconut oil.

#27351 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I think it’s just the fat content difference between the legs versus the breast. But you can always remove the skin before cooking and drain off the fat drippings.

#27441 Report Abuse
    Dolly
    Participant

Okay thank you both! I read about coconut oil and do plan to use it. Are there any other meats I can use in small amounts? I bought chicken liver yesterday while at the store but just read that they may be too high in fat? She’s a 50lb dog, so I think I might be ok adding in small amounts every few days, but I honestly have no idea, I haven’t ate meat or had to cook it for anyone since I was a young teenager, so I’m sort of lost here.. I’m also wondering if there are any safe bones I can use to help her clean her teeth. I was feeding bully sticks and Z bones but I am having trouble finding bully sticks that I know are sourced in the US and they stopped selling the Z bones at any of the pet stores around here- any other ideas here? I can’t do anything like antlers, the bully sticks are even a little hard for her to chew..

#27444 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What size dog is she? Maybe a chicken or turket neck with the skin removed. That’s a tricky one because most edible bones are also where the fat is. Maybe if you could get a raw rib and remove the meat and fat from it, it would do.

#27448 Report Abuse
    Dolly
    Participant

Shes a golden retreiver-border collie mix, so about 50-55 pounds. I could try a rib, I was under the impression that any bones would have bone marrow, which is really high in fat(?), but like I said before I really have no idea. I will do some research/ ask my vet about the rib bones. It is difficult cutting fat out of a dog’s diet!

#27463 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Marrow bones, i.e. leg bones are VERY high in fat and so are spinal bones with spinal tissue included. Ribs have a boney matrix in them.

#27465 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I think you can also push out the marrow from the marrow bones. I have several empties laying around I could mail you. Also you can find cow hooves for chewing on. Try looking at http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/smartlist_86/made_in_the_usa.html They have an American Made section. Merrick makes bully sticks also.

#27702 Report Abuse
    Dolly
    Participant

Are there any other viatimin subsitutes that I can use aside from DinoVite? Something I can pick up in a petfood store, or any other choices? I recently took my dog off of Sceince diet, and like I said previously, am concerned that her current diet isn’t nutritionally balanced, but I also want to explore my options as quickly as possible.

#27703 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Check into Missing Link and Nature’s Logic (supplements), and See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mixes and The Honest Kitchen Preference (Premixes that when combined with meat are complete and balanced). Of course adjust your fat amount.

#41837 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Have you tried the Holistic Select Senior chicken meal kibble it breaks up easy, not to hard on their digestion & the fat is 10%.. My boy has Chronic Pancreatitis & IBD, Im mixing this kibble with his vet prescription kibble at the moment but I boil chicken breast & I boil butternut Pumkin sometimes I’ll boil an egg as well,, I put the chicken breast, pumkin & boiled egg into a mini food processor & mush it all together my boy loves it, I give this at breakfast as that’s when Patch seems to be in pain of a morning then I do kibble lunch & dinner..Ive read that pumkin is good for their tummy & bowel, dont use to much pumkin.. I give Patch about 2 tablespoons of pumkin with about 1 cup of shreaded cooked chicken…at first his poo was a bit soft I could tell it was the pumkin as the poo was orange but over time his poos firmed up again..also oats are suppost to be soothing on their tummy, the Holistic Select kibble has oats in it..Ive been too scared to try the Coconut oil at this time maybe latter.. my cat loves the pumkin & chicken as well I’ve never seen him at the front door as much as now Ive been cooking for Patch..also I give banana & some apple for treats..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.