🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Case

I read where somebody was questioning the year-round availability of fresh local ingredients…Is it possible to have fresh locally grown fruit and veggies in Canada in winter? What about free range poultry? Wild caught fish?

Just wondering what you guys think.

#43728 Report Abuse
    Case

“Hello? Is this thing on?”

#43732 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

LOL, Case! : )

I can’t recall what exactly Champion said about this, but they either have something on their site or responded to someone in an e-mail regarding from where they source ingredients when things aren’t “in season.”

#43733 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I have no clue, just wanted to let you know this thing IS on, lol! Maybe someone will answer your question soon, but I have no idea…

Oh, and your dog is absolutely beautiful!! 🙂

#43750 Report Abuse
    Case

Thank you Cyndi! A friend of mine bred her from stock he got from Padilla’s Heat Kennels.

#43767 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Just turned this thing on an have to chime in. We are all victims of marketing and hype!

#43793 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Best place to ask is to call Champion Petfoods LP themselves: (780)784-0300. Then let us all know!

#43866 Report Abuse
    Case

zolicyclus, I have social anxiety disorder. Will you call and just say that you are me?

#43963 Report Abuse
    Case

Nobody EVER likes my jokes on here!

I e-mailed Orijen and asked about it.

#43986 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I chuckled, but on one of my other sites, I am frequently cheerleader for a friend that has social anxiety issues, and I don’t know how much of a pig it makes me when I chuckle at you. I have some other disorder, what can I say?

#44158 Report Abuse
    Case

I haven’t heard back from Orijen yet, so I worked up the nerve to call them today…but I didn’t get an answer and I didn’t leave a voicemail.

When I finally start communicating with somebody I also intend to clarify whether or not Canadian formulas will be available to the US after the Kentucky kitchen opens (and express great disappoinment if they won’t be).

#44159 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Thanks for trying to follow up Case, and for updating us!

#44437 Report Abuse
    Case

The Orijen rep basically said:

fruits and vegetables are kept fresh with the use of cold storage

chickens, turkeys and ducks are housed in barns in the winter but not caged

fish are caught year round

I made an inquiry about the availability of Canadian product after the Kentucky kitchen opens, and will update you guys when I get a reply.

#44438 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Good to know. Thanks Case

#44519 Report Abuse
    Case

I have no problem accepting the poultry/barn answer.

For the most part I’m ok with the produce/cold storage answer. Call me a skpetic but I still question the shelf life of some of the ingredients (blueberries, cranberrires, spinach greens). It makes me wonder just how much difference there is between cold storage and freezing.

I really don’t know what to make of the year round availability of fish. I’ve read where other people have said that Orijen told them that they acquire farmed fish at times. The rep that e-mailed me made no mention of farmed fish but she did mention ice fishing. I’ve never been in more than maybe six inches of snow and I’m not much of a fisherman, so I have no clue here.

I’m still wondering what do you guys think.

#44532 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Well, FWIW, I’m not willing to spend that much money on kibble due to that very reason. And, plus the fact I can’t afford to. LOL! I’d rather get a more basic budget friendly kibble so I can try and add the fresh or less processed ingredients myself. BTW, I’m very proud of this posting because I finally figured out what FWIW means! Woo Hoo! (I had to google it after I saw it used on this site multiple times)

#44535 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

crazy4cats, I’m with you! I use a 5 star kibble that I can afford (barely) and grind fresh raw meat. The meat, chicken thighs and beef heart mostly, along with my farm raised eggs is cost effective for 3 large dogs and 12 cats. The kibble gives balance. I add coco oil for my seasonal allergy dog and I spend considerably less money than if I just bought these wonderful but too pricey foods. Thanks to Dr Mike and his team we can choose from great foods in the 4 to 5 star range. He’s laid out the details for us in such a user friendly way!

#44545 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, this site is awesome. Well, I need a few more pets to catch up to you! I just have 2 large dogs and 4 cats. Thanks for the support. And, I really don’t PLAN on getting anymore!

#44550 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

LOL do any of us plan?

#44570 Report Abuse
    Case

Since nobody is sharing their thoughts on the fresh ingredient topic…what kibbles do you two use?

#44572 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

I use Wilderness mostly, sometimes Merrick or wellness core. I rotate. Kibble with coco oil for breakfast, raw meat and egg for dinner.

#44577 Report Abuse
    Case

Orijen gave me permission to post their replies, so here goes:

Original Question:

I have a question about the year-round availability of fresh local ingredients. I’m from the southern US, our climate is much warmer and we can’t produce fresh fruits and veggies all year.

How is it possible to have fresh locally grown fruit and veggies in Canada in winter? What about free range poultry? Wild caught fish?

Thanks for your time.
    Case

#44578 Report Abuse
    Case

Hello,

Thank  you for taking the time to write to us.

Fresh fruits and vegetables can be stored and kept fresh once harvested with the use of cold storage. Fresh BC apples are available in grocery stores year round, this is possible because the apple suppliers are able to store the apples without freezing or processing them. Similarly, whole fruits and vegetables that supply important vitamins and nutrients in their natural form can be delivered to us fresh and preservative free year round.

The chickens, turkeys and ducks are housed in barns to protect them from the elements and predators and can roam free in this environment.

Fish can be harvested year round, ice fishing in the winter time.

I hope that I have been helpful and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Diana
    Customer Care
    Champion Petfoods LP

#44579 Report Abuse
    Case

Diana, 

Thank you for your reply. I do have another question for you. 

From what I’ve read, I understand that the Kentucky kitchen will supply the US market. Everyone seems to think that the product produced in Canada will no longer be available to US customers. I speak for many when I say that US customers want to continue using Canadian made product as well. The notion that selection will be limited has ALREADY upset some customers enough that they are threatening to stop using champion products as soon as selection is limited. Can you clarify what Champion’s plans are?

Also, may I share your replies on a private dog food message board, to satisfy the curiosity of my peers?

Thanks for your time.

Case

#44580 Report Abuse
    Case

Hello Case,

Your trust means everything to us. We understand your concern regarding our new Kentucky Kitchens and want to openly discuss that with you.  

We don’t make pet foods like other companies do. As a leader and innovator in making pet foods, Champion works to our own standards. These are our standards, not USDA, not FDA, not CFIA. These agencies set minimum standards which we exceed exponentially. Why?  Because our Mission and our Values dictate that we do, and that’s what pet lovers expect from us.

Our standards and values require that all of our ingredient partners, team members, quality and safety protocols and kitchen facilities are focussed on upholding and advancing our Biologically Appropriate mandate, and earning the trust of pet lovers day and in day out.

We choose our ingredient partners carefully, and we set quality and nutritional standards to meet our own food standards. In Kentucky, we will be engaging regional farmers, ranchers and fishermen whose values that match our own, that we can be proud to name. These suppliers will be providing fresh and custom ingredients that are sustainably and ethically produced.

Building brand new, custom-fitted kitchens in Kentucky provide us a tremendous opportunity to advance our BAFRINO mandate of making Biologically Appropriate foods from Fresh, Regional Ingredients, in our own Kitchens. These three key philosophies have built trust in our brands worldwide, and we fully intend to continue to build on this foundation.

Champion is different. Our custom Kentucky kitchens will produce ORIJEN and ACANA foods that set a new standard for the foods that we feed to our companion cats and dogs, we guarantee it.

There is a FAQ on our website regarding the kitchens in Kentucky, which I think that you will find helpful.
    http://www.championpetfoods.com/kentucky/ThinkKentuckyThinkFAQ.pdf

You can use both my email and the link to the FAQ’s for your message board.

Kind regards,

Diana
    Customer Care
    Champion Petfoods LP

#44581 Report Abuse
    Case

Diana,

I’m still unclear whether or not Canadian product will be available to the US market after the Kentucky kitchen is up and running.  Will it?

Thanks,
    Case

#44592 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

“A wide range of fruits are grown commercially in Canada, including apples, tender fruits (peaches, nectarines, pears, plums, prunes and cherries), grapes, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries and raspberries. A number of these fruits are native to Canada such as cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, saskatoons and the labrusca grape. Canada’s fruit industry has adapted well to our cold climate and short growing seasons, with Southern Ontario and Southwest British Columbia, which enjoy about 180 frost-free days every year, producing much of the fruit grown in the country, while regions of Quebec and the Maritimes also have significant fruit production, despite having only about 120 frost -free days per year.”

“Canada’s fruit imports from the top ten supplying countries. In descending order (by the share of total import value in 2009), these were the United States (44 %), Chile (7%), France (7%), Italy (6%), Mexico (5%), Australia ( 4%), China (3%), Costa Rica, Argentina and Ecuador (each 2%).”

However, Orijen doesn’t use that many fruits but that would definitely be back-up if they absolutely ran out.

“Free Range” only applies to the barn if the poultry has access to the outdoors. The term has nothing to do with cages or grassy pastures. Refrigeration only helps for so long & of course freezing is not considered fresh. Ice fishing is fine, they go where the particular fish are & open holes to get them. Orijen’s high prices reflect increased high quality ingredients (in the 1st 5 listed) per formula. But unless they’re producing in small batches, that’s a lot of food that we’re assuming is constantly “fresh”. How would we know if they snuck something into a freezer for a month, ha! Just kidding.

#44594 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

In other words by 2016, we won’t be getting the Canadian version of Orijen/Acana. We’ll be getting the Kentucky version of it. Which defeats the whole “from Canada” taste/quality aspect. Which means I’ll be switching brands as of a minute ago.

#44611 Report Abuse
    Case

Hi Case,

That decision has not been made yet, it will be two years before the kitchens in Kentucky will be producing any products. Stay posted to our website for any updates.

Thank you,

Diana
    Customer Care
    Champion Petfoods LP

#44634 Report Abuse
    Misty S

I am new here but I have always had & still have quite a few rescue pets.I used to make all my pets home made foods,I cannot actually say I have or would feed my pets raw foods,/meats if bought from farms run into a lot of money,hence I steam store bought chicken because of what is injected in all meat/s minus farm grown unless USDA orders that be done.I have an older cat that was not treated very well by her previous owner,I have tried many different cat foods but she cannot keep it down,some times she does great,but I am still very concerned about her condition. Because vets. now are so out of the question money wise,I do as many home natural remedies as I can,but I plan on keeping up the work done on her & look for more remedies. Not to change the subject but we found a cat running towards a highway,I ran & picked her up & she seemed to be in distress & not very well taken care of,I brought her home to see that she had been fixed,her eye was running & the other eye she kept closed,I also found she had some sort of mites on her,I bought a flea solution & continued bathing her with at least a months rest,I couldn’t seem to get rid of what ever it was so I took her to a great vet.(now retired) he said to me that what ever is on the out side”IS” also on the inside,I found a solution that is used on plants to keep bugs off vegetation,I went back to this vet & questioned him about this product & he said it was alright,between bathing with the solution & feeding her the same it was an on going deal but in the end the greatest rewards was; we now have one of the sweetest fluffy cats we could ever want,those mites on her body was some thing I had never encountered in my life time,they were like knives sticking out of her back.We have five cats & two dogs. Good Luck every one & God bless us & all our fur babies.

#44668 Report Abuse
    Case

Alrighty then!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.