🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ly

I changed my 7 month old yorkie’s diet from Blue Buffalo Freedom to Orijen last weekend. He got Diarrhea. He was on it from Sat-Thursday. I called my vet Thursday and they said to give him chicken and rice, then go back to BB and transition again. He’s been on chicken and rice since Thursday night. Now his poops are orange liquid. Should I fast him or maybe I’m just giving him too much food?

#50021 Report Abuse
    Dori

How much does he weigh and how often and how much are you feeding him?

#50023 Report Abuse
    Ly

He’s 9 pounds. I’ve been giving him about 3 tablespoons full of rice and about 3 tablespoons of chicken twice a day.

#50025 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did you feed your dogs any pumpkin or carrots? I think the fact that it is orange is concerning. Loose stools are common when transitioning, but not usually orange. Have you had a fecal done?

#50032 Report Abuse
    Ly

No I haven’t til just now. I mixed the pumpkin stuff with his chicken and rice. Wait and see tomorrow…

#50035 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

There are lots of ideas on how to control diarrhea on http://www.dogaware.com. Check it out! When my pups had coccidia, their poop was orange. When they had giardia, it was sometimes mustard color and sometimes greenish. I hope that is not the case for you, but it should be ruled out.

#50069 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Did you do a slow transition over a five to seven day period?

#50071 Report Abuse
    Ly

No 🙁 It was like 3 days! I took him to the vet this morning. He said initially his digestion issue could be from the transition, but it’s because he was eating his poop! Of-course I don’t let him eat it! It’s just that it’s pure liquid, so it’s impossible to pick it all up. Then the next time we go out, he sniffs it out and gets a lick in before I’m fast enough to pull him back.
    Plus for vacation we were at a friends house for a week (3 weeks ago) and they have 3 small dogs and a fenced in back yard. He literally went around and ate all their poop! Then later puked it up on their living room carpet! I went around and tried to pick it all up outside and kept him on a leash and walked him around after that. So maybe it was still in his system from then, and changing his food on top of that didn’t help!? The vet gave me an antibiotic and a probiotic and I switched his food to Holistic Select Adult/Puppy dry food and he absolutely loves it! It smells sooooo good too! So I think I’m sticking with that. I just want a firm normal poop now! Vet said to stop the chicken and rice and just give him that. They advertise it’s like yogurt for dogs. He’s the pickiest when it comes to food (didn’t care for but would eat BB, hated Wellness Core, loved Orijen), but he’ll eat any animals poop! “They” say he’ll outgrow it. idk? I tried those pills stool-no! Didn’t work.

#51034 Report Abuse
    Marlene N

The chicken and Rice alone, will cause the stool to be a yellowish/beige colour.
    If you have tried the chicken and rice and pumpkin, and it is not working,… (I know, I tried it for months too) …..try ground beef instead of chicken.

After your vet has checked to ensure there is no blood coming from the intestines….
    They might prescribe an antibiotic for a possible bacterial or parasite infection and an Immodium to initially stop the diarrhea, ..but if your dogs stomach is sensitive, it is the chicken. and change over to a sensitive stomach dog food right away.
    (well, a slow transition from the Beef/rice, to dog food) Good luck!

#51045 Report Abuse
    ronald s

Had this same issue with my 9 month old Doberman diarrhea for 9 days. Vet gave her Flagyl next day she was fine. Vet did tell me if next time it happens to use turkey instead of beef less fat.

#51105 Report Abuse
    2nd2none

yeah, flagyl usually works like a charm!
    transitioning feed should be a slow process, typically from 7-10 to help prevent stomach upset. *white meat should be used with the rice. avoid the dark, as it’s higher in fat and beef should be your last choice unless it’s REALLY lean. same deal with turkey: white meat and stay away from the skin=can cause pancreatitis~another issue….
    poop eating (coprophagia) has many different theories. from a nutritional deficiency to just being *really, really hungry. perhaps with the new feed, your dog will do well, get any nutrients he/she may be lacking and feel satisfied upon finishing his food. out of 7 i have one who will eat the other’s stool if i would let her, but being diligent about clean up and watching where she goes when out walking helps to ward off that unwanted behavior.
    best wishes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.