🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jenny

Hi friends,

Has anyone tried Okinawan Happy Dogs Brain and Memory Support Food Mix or any products from Okinawan Happy Dogs?

Here’s the link to the product: http://www.okinawanhappydogs.com/products/brain-memory-support (it looks very promising and is all-natural, gluten-free, GMO-Free, and no artificial preservatives or coloring added! Too good to be true?)

The company seems fairly new so I haven’t found any consumer reviews online… from the company’s website Okinawan Happy Dogs is “a division of Everyday Wellness Corporation, a US manufacturer of dietary supplements specializing in natural herbal nutrition for humans and pets.” But other than that, zero info.

To give you some background details: My dog is a 16-year-old toy poodle who is battling CDS (Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome) as well a reappearing mammary gland tumor and also developing a slight heart murmur (she’s a fighter!). She eats Earthborn Hollistic dry food, but has been losing her appetite recently and only wags her tail for her favorite treats, Dr. Becker’s Bites Grain Free Liver Treats.

If your dog is also fighting CDS, can you please share/recommend any products that have worked effectively for your dog?

Thank you so much!
    J

P.S. After reading this old post from “banditsmom,” I’m thinking of trying Novifit if I can’t find a natural alternative for my dog: /forums/topic/cognitive-dysfunction

#50446 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have not tried that but I use Neutricks for my senior whi I believe has Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.

#50449 Report Abuse
    Jenny

InkedMarie, thank you so much for your reply. I’m glad Neutricks has worked for your dog! I hope you don’t mind if I ask you another question: Was your dog mostly barking/wandering at night — or was your dog also listless (empty stares), unresponsive, and circling during the day as well?

I read the source you mentioned on the other thread (thank you for that – so helpful!) from Whole Dog Journal 2012 (http://www.dogaware.com/articles/suppsother.html) and will ask my vet which is a better fit for my dog.

If anyone else is interested, I found these resources for people who also have dogs with CDS/CCD a.k.a. canine dementia:

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2010/02/01/dementia-and-anxiety-in-your-older-dog-what-to-do/
    http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/canine-cognitive-dysfunction.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K36YgR5j0Q (I might try the Animals’ Apawthecary Hawthorn.. will let y’all know how that goes.)

#50456 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Jenny,
    Gemma, my sheltie, is the dog I speak of. She’s about ten, we’ve had her for a year and half. She was here around six months when she started crying. It was pitiful, she sounded almost human. Then the night time wandering started. I read that article in WDJ & decided to start with Neutricks. I haven’t had to try anything else. It worked wonders! She is still an early riser but so are we so it’s ok.

#50674 Report Abuse
    Jenny

InkedMarie, thank you again for your insight. It’s so relieving to hear good news, and it’s great that Gemma is better! My dog and I will keep cheering for Gemma’s health 🙂

Quick update: We went to the vet yesterday and was recommended Novifit — the SAMe based supplement that has anti-inflammatory properties + is a powerful antioxidant and may also help with arthritis, liver disease, and depression. So we’re going to try that and see how it goes before taking prescribed meds like Anipyrl (which the vet initially prescribed).

We’re also going to give her Animals’ Apawthecary Hawthorn Plus since we heard it can be good for heart murmurs as well. Fingers crossed!

I’ll update this thread if we see any improvements with the supplements we’re using. Thanks again!

#50687 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Keeping an eye on this thread myself. Have a 15 yr old foster!

#50718 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hope the Novafit helps!

#50721 Report Abuse

Please let it know how it works. Many of us have old timers that may need similar someday!

#50738 Report Abuse
    Dori

I too will keep an eye on this thread. I’ve got a 15 year old Maltese, Hannah. I know she’s lost a lot of her hearing and also night vision but I’m beginning to think she’s developing a bit of dementia. I haven’t started her on anything yet. Her vet just told me that it’s just part of the aging process. DUH????? She’s a traditional vet so she’s not going to tell me to use anything like an over the counter supplement.

Marie: I’m glad the Neutricks worked for Gemma. What do you think? Should I try it with Hannah? The only meds she takes are soloxine for her hypothyroidism and a Denamarin an hour before dinner (combination of milk thistle and Sam-e) for her high liver levels. What site do you order if from? Thanks.

#50778 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori,
    Read the article posted above in DogAware; it depends what the symptoms are etc. For Gemma & her symptoms, Neutricks works very well!

#50837 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks Marie. Really interesting article on senior canine supplements.

#50840 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori, thats when I’m glad I’ve been saving my WDJ’s for years, never know when you need the info!

#50841 Report Abuse
    Dori

Funny Marie. I’ve got years and years worth of them. I keep thinking I should just toss them since if you’re a member you can just go on line and read all the back issues. I guess I’m just a Whole Dog Journal hoarder. : )

#50850 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Lol@WDJ hoarder!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.