Nursing cat

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Nursing cat

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

A pregnant cat was dropped off behind our Subway. She had the kittens 10 days ago. The eyes are now opened. I have them in a laundry basket and she is a great mom. My vet said to bring the mama cat and her kittens to him when their eyes opened and he would spay her and find homes for the kitties. I think they are too young for her to be spayed. I’m afraid her milk will dry up. I know my vet is afraid she will get pregnant again. What is ur opinions especially ones who have worked with vets like BC nut and HDM. She has 6 kittens.

#41913 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

At my shelter we don’t spay the queens until a few weeks after their kittens have been weaned. If the kittens’ eyes opened 10 days ago, I’d guess that they’re roughly 3 weeks old. With kittens, even more than with puppies I’d say, it’s very important that they be kept with mom and allowed to nurse for eight weeks if at all possible. Kittens really tend not to do well when they’re weaned early. It’s a good idea to start offering wet food around 4 weeks, they’ll usually start eating a little dry around 5-6 weeks, but they really should have access to mom for 8 weeks. If the mom is already nursing, she likely would still produce milk after being spayed however I would advise waiting until at least two weeks after the kittens are weaned until spaying her. This will give her time to dry up and for the mammary tissue to regress. Not only do I feel that that a spay surgery is an unnecessary amount of stress to put a queen that is nursing ten kittens under but it’s also a more complicated surgery when the cat has mammary development (most vets don’t want to do it). During this time period, however, it will be very important to keep her contained because she can become pregnant again. Are you keeping the cats in your house? If not – would it be possible for you to create a makeshift “nursery” somewhere (a shed, garage, etc.) where it’s clean, comfortable and that you’re sure mom can’t escape and no outside cats can enter?

#41921 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

They won’t be 2 weeks old until Thursday. Their eyes just opened. I have her in a storage building behind the Subway with a fan. I live in South Ga. So it’s beginning to get hot. I can’t bring her home because I have a male cat and she runs all the cats off at Subway.I’m going to ask my vet if he will keep her at his clinic a few weeks before he spays her but he told me the kittens could still nurse after she’s spayed. I don’t know what to do. I can!’t believe people throw their animals away. She has been someone’s pet. She is so sweet to everyone but other cats. I’m going to bring her home after she’s spayed and see what happens. My husband says I can’t save all the animals but the ones that are around me I have to try.

#41924 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

weezerweeks, I feel for you. All my cats were strays. At one point I had 13 (lived in a big 3 floor farmhouse at that time). It’s hard to turn your back on them. Hope you can keep the mom.

#41981 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi weezerweeks-
    How are those kittens doing? When you say subway, are you talking about a train type station, or a sandwich shop? Your situation reminds me of how I turned into a cat lady. I had a cat show up with her two kittens on my porch some twenty years ago. I’d never had even one cat before! She whisked them in behind our dryer and I was an instant cat mamma. Kittens are so adorable. They were probably only about 3 or 4 weeks old and already hissing at me. I kept all three and she was pregnant again before I knew it. We had another litter and I found homes for all of the new kittens and cried every time one left :(. I then got her fixed before she had more. But I don’t remember how long after she gave birth. Have you checked out any rescue groups in your area? They will usually take in a mom and kittens. I hope the mom works out for you. The poor thing! I get so mad at people’s treatment of cats. I’ve never seen one that I didn’t think was beautiful! I have rescued several also. Good luck!

#42453 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I am talking about the sandwich shop. We have a utility building with supplies behind it and that’s where I have the kittens. I have good news, my vet is taking them and the mama Tues. he’s going to keep them til we find homes and then fix the mama. I will probably bring her home with me. The kittens are 2 1/2 weeks old and they are getting soo cute. I am partial to the runt he’s so tiny. I’ve even had to show him how to nurse. I might have to keep him too. My husband will kill me. Love my vet! He is truly an animal lover!

#42454 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Oh good! Thanks for this update! I’m so glad it’s working out so well for mama and her babies.

My daughter talks about wanting a kitten, but I’m so horribly allergic, it would never work for us.

#42549 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yippee! Another cat lady! That is a great vet. Glad to hear it. Honestly, I will always get two kittens at a time if possible. They are unbelievably playful and entertaining. It’s great for them to have playmates. Some rescue groups require it. On the other hand, I will never get two puppies at the same time again! Your husband will tell everyone that they are your dumb cats, but will love them as much as you!

#44641 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My kitties are 5 1/2 weeks old. I checked on them today and their eyes are running looks like pus. The vet techs are putting drops in them but I’m worried about them. My vet is on vacation this week.

#44662 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The drops should show improvements in a very short time. Eye issues in kittens may be a symptom of feline herpes, so have the vet evaluate that possibility when he gets back. cats with feline herpes do very well. They need good nutrition(as if some cats don’t) and a lysine supplement to help keep the virus under control and you have to watch for eye problems thoughout life with them, but they may never have a problem.

#45574 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Weezerweeks-
    What is up with your kittens? It’s been a while since your last update.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.