šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Maria K

My pup and I are trying a commercial raw formula for the first time. I was mixing the Answers Detailed Pork patties (1/2 patty broken up) mixed with 1/2 cup of his kibble (Acana Wild Atlantic). I know they digest differently but was wanting to do somewhat of a transition if possible. He wouldn’t eat any of it. I’m more of a “if you’re hungry, you’ll eat” type of owner so I didn’t give him anything else and repeated the process for 3 meals. Still no eating. This morning I split them up to see if he just wasn’t eating period or if it really was the raw, he scarfed the kibble and left the raw untouched. I did it again tonight and the same reaction. I put some in his favorite toys to freeze overnight and will try that in the morning but was wondering if there were any tips that could help. I have heard great things about rotating raw into their diet and would love for it to be an option for us.

#90732 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Maria K-
    I feed frozen raw mixed in my dogs’ kibble two or three meals per week with no digestive issues. Is the raw food cold when you feed it to him? You could try warming it up a bit in the microwave or even lightly cooking it to see if he’ll eat it. If he then will eat it, you could cook less and less til he’s eating it raw. Good luck!

#90736 Report Abuse
    Maria K

I tried that last night and he smelled it and walked away. I also tried hand feeding it, trying to make it a reward, and trying to make him work for it. I also gave him a piece of raw chicken breast and he tried it a few times but just kept spitting it out. I put the whole breast out and he just smelled and walked away. The raw mix isn’t expired I checked. I also purchased some of the beef formula so I’m defrosting it now and will see if he likes that any better.

#90738 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I have a dog that won’t eat any raw, but Answers. He will literally walk away from any other. Maybe dousing it with some of their fish stock or goat milk will entice your pup.

My first thought was the same as C4C, is it cold when you feed it? You could put his portion in a container or plastic bag and submerge it in a hot water bath.

Also, is pork something different for him? Maybe try a different protein.

I wish I could feed mine Answers all the time, but I’m having trouble finding a vendor near me that will carry it consistently. In my opinion, it’s the best commercial raw.

Good luck!

#90739 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Have you tried feeding freeze dried raw or canned food as mixers? My dogs are lab/retriever mix and will pretty much eat anything. Unfortunately, even socks. 😬

#90742 Report Abuse
    Maria K

We had some success this morning! I cooked the beef formula with some coconut oil and mixed it with his kibble and he ate it! I think I will cook it less and less and see if he will eat it that way. Thank you all!

#90744 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

That’s great, Maria!

Just be sure to “cook” it lightly as it does contain bone.

#90769 Report Abuse
    Maria K

I also sprinkled some turmeric powder over it and he seemed to like that!

#90779 Report Abuse
    Maria K

He is eating it raw frozen now. He seems to like it more when it isn’t thawed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.