Nominate a Brand for Editor's Choice

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Nominate a Brand for Editor's Choice

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Scott B

Thanks for your answers – looks like I am just seeing old dog food that is being sold.

#45934 Report Abuse
    Rita P

DARWINS raw organic

#45949 Report Abuse
    Sid M

I would like information on Country Pet Naturals dog food from New Zealand.

#45961 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Sid M –

Doesn’t look like this brand has been reviewed yet. It appears that all the necessary information is available on their website so I’ll alert Dr. Mike.

#45965 Report Abuse
    banditsmom

Pet Tao is excellent food that I’d like to nominate

#46205 Report Abuse
    Terry F

I started feeding my greyhounds Evanger’s grain free Meat Lover’s Medley a year or two ago on the recommendation of Dog Food Advisor, and I see that even though the kibble still is rated 5, it’s not on the Editor’s choice list. The dogs have done very well on the Evanger’s. Reviewing the ingredients, I noted that while the variety you reviewed begins with chicken, the Meat Lover’s medley begins with beef meal, and this made me wonder of perhaps I could be doing better for my dogs. I have found the Evanger’s easy to order from on line providers. Could you take a look at the Meat Lover’s Medley and consider whether it would qualify for your Editor’s Choice list, or if not, let me know why?

Thank you!

#46206 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Mike, Sandy, HDM. Just wondering why the only two raw foods are Fresh Pet and Stella & Chewy’s on the EC list. I have nothing against either brand, my dogs just don’t like either of them. Are you considering in the future any of the other 4 and 5 star raw foods for the EC list. I hope so.

Thanks to all of you that do what you do in order that we can be more knowledgeable in what we feed our dogs. Also, this site has allowed us to make friends with a wonderful group of people. Knowledgeable, kind and caring. Thank you for this site is what I’m trying to articulate.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Dori.
    #46210 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

A few pages back there is some discussion on why Evanger’s isn’t on the list. The company is somewhat shady, even though their food is good on paper (which is all the rating system goes off of)

Don’t be afraid of meals as long as the protein in them is named (IE beef meal is fine, meat meal is not)

#46231 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Dori –

Freshpet isn’t raw.

There are two raw foods currently on the list – Stella & Chewy’s and Primal. The list will be changing in the future as some companies are taken off and new companies are added so we’re always considering new companies to add.

Keep in mind that it’s also important for the list to represent brands that the average reader will want to feed their dog and that are readily available. The majority of pet owners do not feed raw. Many raw foods also have a limited distribution. So, while we definitely don’t want to exclude any raw foods deserving of recognition from the list, the bulk of the list is and will continue to be dry dog foods.

#46247 Report Abuse
    Saig
    Participant

Hi, could we have a review of the Propac Ultimates range? Be especially keen to see if the large breed puppy compares to the original large breed which included corn.

Thank you.

#46248 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It’s on the To-Do List already!

#46296 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks for your reply HDM. I’m not sure why I thought Freshpet was raw. I totally missed Primal, one of the foods I feed.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

#46365 Report Abuse
    Sharon E

Lotus

#46411 Report Abuse
    Ann M

I would love to see an updated review on the Acana Singles line. It appears that they have modified their ingredients since the last review done in 2013. It’s looking like their changes could make this a 5-star product now.

#46420 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

I would agree with Ann M. I have been calling around all my local Stores that carry Acana and so far none have it in the Store but I know it has been out in the US for a couple of weeks now but just not in my State yet and I am waiting to give it a try.

#46421 Report Abuse
    Linda T

Has anyone else tried Natures Kitchen? I have tried just about all brands of dog food dry and wet over the last 8 years. I have a very allergic dog and pancreatitis. Lots going on. I am now trying the Natures kitchen dog food. Can anyone tell me how their dog is doing or if anyone else knows of this food. Thank you

#46422 Report Abuse

Hi Linda,

I know of Nature’s Kitchen. It is made by Maverick Pet Foods in Hollywood, FL. Their website is yum4dogs.com. I don’t use the NK but I have used the Genesis Raw which is made by the same company. I really like their food. The company has really good principles. If you want to feed a good, commercial cooked diet then you have found one. I hope it works for your dog.

ps- I filled out a request for Dr. Mike to review the Genesis Raw. You might want to do the same for Nature’s Kitchen if you are interested in DFA reviewing it.

#47360 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I don’t know if this has been brought up before, but what about Wysong? They seem to have some great products for dogs (and other critters).

#47413 Report Abuse
    andy c

Dogswell – on paper looks close to Orijen. Have heard from two different local pet stores that carry Orijen/Acana that Champion is treating them badly and forcing them to raise prices to a minimum retail price. If they don’t, then Champion will drop them. It’s not the money, but more that I lose trust in a company that plays hardball with its partners. If they treat their retail partners this way, what about their suppliers and will that affect the quality of their food over time? For now, have switched for to Petcurean Go Fit & Free (also on Editor’s choice list), but it’s a little less protein with fewer flavor choices.

#47451 Report Abuse
    Gail F

Would love to see Answers pet food and goat’s milk on your review list and Editor’s Choice!

#47466 Report Abuse
    Barbara

I want to nominate Victor dog food especially grain free! I see that others have asked for it to be nominated as well and don’t understand why it is not on the Editors Choice list?? There are no recalls and Victor Grain Free has 5 stars which is more than some other brands on the list? Also the regular Victor still has 4 stars. I have been using Victor Grain Free Joint Health. My dogs had been on TOTW Wetlands. They are doing great on Victor the 2 that I feed it to are over 75lbs. I am glad that it has the added Glucosamine and Chondroitin! It is hard to find on-line except at Sportdogfood and Amazon but you can check the Victor website to fine a local feed store for even better prices…. I would like to see it on the list! Thanks

#47467 Report Abuse
    Myra S

Before I started feeding my 3 dachshunds Annamaet I was feeding Victor. It is a wonderful food but hard to find.

#47575 Report Abuse
    renee d

I had to run to the grocery store 🙁 after forgetting to bring home my regular brand of dog food. I looked for the highest quality food I could find there and discoverd I and love and you. I did a quick research on dog food advisor and was surprised to see u gave it 5 stars. Any reason you don’t include this food on your picks list? It is easy to get at a grocery store, of all places,and moderately priced. While I probably wouldn’t switch to this myself on a regular basis, I work at a dog training facility and like to be able to suggest quality dog food to others who won’t or can’t afford the expensive brands.

#47576 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’ve never fed it despite it being made about 20 miles from me, and it does look good. I’ve heard though that their customer service is a bit shaky, so that could have something to do with them not making editor’s choice, as much of that list is comprised of the company itself.

I do like that you can get it at King Sooper’s. The Safeway across the street from the dog training place I work at also has Nutrisca, albeit a very small section, but it’s nice that there are options to give people who can’t make it to a pet store (which I don’t totally buy that excuse for long term, but hey)

#47589 Report Abuse

Hi Renee,

Thanks for your question. Just because a dog food has a highly rated label doesn’t mean it qualifies to be an Editor’s Choice selection.

Please keep in mind there are currently more than 325 dog foods on this website rated 4 stars or higher. And nearly 100 of those are rated 5 stars.

That’s why we created Editor’s Choice. We (by design) reduced all those products and the 4,000 recipes they represent to just a few top brands to make it easier for you to choose a top dog food.

For a better understanding how we select brands for this special designation, you may wish to visit the Editor’s Choice FAQ page. Hope this helps.

#47608 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Nutrisca is one of my rotation foods and we have not had any issues with it much but it is much like the other 5 star foods I have tried hoping to see improvements with intestinal allergies but never do. I bought a bag of the I Love and you venison treats and my dogs love them. I don’t normally give any treats but Brother’s Complete Biscuits but I gave I love and you treats a shot and they are a hit.

I switched jobs and I now work as a manager at a Pet store and I have had more people come in to buy 5 star foods and come back complaining that their dogs are having issues on it and most say they never had these issues when feeding Iam’s and or Purina and honestly I can also having dogs years ago that were on these types of food and I never had health issues with dogs like I do today. My Mom has always fed Iam’s and still does to this day and yet I am the one that feeds 5 star foods to my 4 dogs and I feel like I am always rushing one to the vet for something food related or allergy related which is also from the food they eat because it is always intestinal issues with food. I don’t know how much I trust this 5 star logic.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by NectarMom.
    #47612 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

NectarMom, you make some good points but remember, the foods that rate so low now are made completely different than they were 15 or even 10 yrs ago. As they’ve been bought by larger corporations the quality of once good foods has nose dived. Also dog breeds that once were working dogs are no longer being bred to be hardy. As they’ve gained in popularity as pets the immune systems have weakened. Just as city dwellers no longer have the strengthened immune systems as people living closer to the land and working hard outdoors our dog breeds also have lost their vigorous ability to handle the toxins in the environment.

#47683 Report Abuse
    Dee I
    #47701 Report Abuse
    Debra J H

New here and very interesting reading all over the place. Looking at several posts. What about Honest Kitchen? I just ordered some because of their transparency and pledge to quality. They have had one voluntary recall though. But looking at various websites, they seem to be first class.

Second, has Nature’s Variety changed again about where it gets it rabbit? We stopped feeding that 3 years ago when we learned the rabbit was sourced from China. I see that your 2014 list says it comes from France.

#47704 Report Abuse
    Dori

Nature’s Variety sources their rabbit from France. I spoke to someone there (can’t remember his name). Told me it was a very arduous process but that all their rabbit is sourced from France.

As far as The Honest Kitchen is concerned, you’ll get a lot of mixed opinions on the food. I used to feed it but because one of my dogs has an issue with alfalfa which is presently in all their formulas I stopped using it. The latest news is that they are removing alfalfa from all of their formulas. They go into production end of this month and should be available for purchase in stores (THK) without the alfalfa and also from their website probably some time in late August after all alfalfa inclusive products have been sold.

#47707 Report Abuse
    Debra J H

Thanks Dori. I am looking at the Honest Kitchen website and it looks like the changes have already been made except for the Keen Turkey. You can get several proteins without any grains and the others with grain seem to have oats, but not alfalfa. I am impressed with their sourcing of ingredients though and they were one of the few who answered tons of questions several of us had. I am glad that Nature’s Variety has found a different source of rabbit besides China. Hope they keep that up. We are currently feeding Stella & Chewy’s raw, but looking to just add some Honest Kitchen now and then and use that for travel.

#47711 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sorry, Debra J H. I was really talking about their original formulas. Zeal is the only one I was able to feed. One of my girls has many food allergies and intolerances. Zeal was okay for a while but then she became intolerant of alfalfa. Those original formulas still show the alfalfa in the ingredients.

#47713 Report Abuse
    Debra J H

Thanks for that clarification. I may now just use the Stella & Chewy’s Freeze Dried for travel as I am now seeing concerns about the Honest Kitchen meeting AAFCO standards. I hope they will address those as I think they have good thing in many respects. I have had some issues with Stella & Chewy’s distributor in our area getting old batches into stores that have caused us undue problems. And calls to Stelly & Chewy’s were answered by a very rude woman who did not give a flip. And she seems to be the only person you get.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Debra J H.
    #47720 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve been a THK customer for around 10 years; I always will be. I like the product and the company. If I’ve used a product with alfalfa, I’ve never noticed it & haven’t had a dog who had problems with it. I took a look at the new Halcyon; I won’t be feeding it here. I’m not paying over $100 for a food with 24% protein. I’m currently using Love for Ginger.

#47722 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie 119.99 for a 10 lbs box that contains 24% protein. That’s simply nuts. I guess you’re suppose to up the protein yourself with added ingredients. If that’s the case then I can do that without spending that much money for their new Halcyon formula. I mean as you know I have three tiny dogs so I’m embarrassed to say that I’m in a position to spend the money for a good quality, high protein food. BUT! That kind of money for 24% protein? Who buys that and better yet who has that kind of money to simply throw away. There are so many fabulous foods with high quality proteins and ingredients. I wonder what they will charge for the new Zeal (without alfalfa) when it comes out. I actually always liked THK (can only feed Zeal cause of Katie’s issues with all their other formulas) but then Katie became intolerant of alfalfa so I had to drop it from rotation. I’d love to put it back in rotation but not for some outrageous gouging price.

#47724 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Yep, that’s the price. $90 something for Love is fine, 31% protein or something like that. Not paying more for Halcyon.

#47725 Report Abuse
    Dori

Zeal used to be their most expensive I think at $109 for a 10 lb. box but the protein is around 35.5%. Big difference in protein from the Halcyon. I hope when they reformulate the Zeal they don’t add something that Katie has issues with and that they don’t decided that it warrants a price hike. We’ll see next month I guess.

#47974 Report Abuse
    Bonnie L

Curious as to why Victor Ulta Professional Grain Free hasn’t been nominated yet, I would like to nominate it.

#48208 Report Abuse
    Deborah M

K9 Natural saved me!
    I tried everything to get my two Shih Tzus to eat. They would eat to live and that was about it. My local pet store recommended the K9 Natural Venison and Green Tripe. Wow. What a difference. They love it and eat on cue, every morning, and every night. I’ve read blog after blog, review after review, and it seems that almost everyone shares my opinion of this food. You can actually pronounce each ingredient, and they are all quality ingredients. Lastly, I’ve contacted the K9 manufacturer a couple of times with questions since I’m a raw diet newbie. They got back to me with a personal email right away, both times, and answered my question in detail to my satisfaction. Not only it this a great product, but it comes from a great company.

#48556 Report Abuse
    Ann S

I would second the Nature’s Logic suggestion. Unlike some of the other recommended brands, it doesn’t have a lot of peas and such, and the small kibble size works for all size dogs.

It would be helpful if there was a category of editor’s choice for allergic dogs. I can’t use most of the recommended foods because they either have lots of turkey, peas, or both. There seems little benefit to my membership as a result, because I still have to do tons of wading through ingredient lists. I had hoped joining would save me some of that time and work!

#48566 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Ann –

Thanks for the suggestion, however due to the fact that dogs can be allergic to any number of things it really wouldn’t be practical to make an Editor’s Choice report just for dogs with allergies.

#48571 Report Abuse
    Barbara

I have not seen any changes at all in the Brands for Editor’s Choice for 3 months unless I missed something…? Other outstanding brands have been nominated and there are some issues with a couple of brands that are still on the list but nothing has changed. I was just wondering why?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Barbara.
    #48573 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

the list has changed every month since it started-not drastically, but some

#48574 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Barbara –

Several brands have been removed over the past few months and there have also been a few new additions. I believe there’s been at least one change every month, as aquariangt has reported. They changes must have somehow slipped by you.

#48575 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Also – wanted to add – we are working on an “EC Alert” newsletter-style email which will alert EC members to changes in the list and big changes that occur with the companies on the list (such as the introduction of new products, ingredient changes, etc.). 🙂

#48576 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Nature’s Variety is new this month. They added a new editor’s choice topic which lists the changes. I think the new link is a great addition. Thank you!

#48578 Report Abuse
    Barbara

Thank you aquariangt, Hound Dog Mom and c4c for your responses and guidance!

#48613 Report Abuse
    Amanda H

Hi,
    I would like to nominate Back to Basics Dry dog food.
    Thanks for the consideration!

#48712 Report Abuse
    Janet G

As a new member to this Forum, I am excited to get some opinions.
    What about Fromm dog foods. It is a company out of Wisconsin. My pet shop told me it was the best out there. Is this true? What have you heard about this company and/or food?

Thanks. Looking forward to your replies.

#48717 Report Abuse
    Deborah M

On paper, Fromm’s is definitely an above average food. That’s why I tried it for my two Shih Tzus. But, sadly, they wouldn’t eat it. I’ve tried so many “five star” dry foods and the reaction I got with just about every thing I tried would go something like this….: They anxiously wait for me to put the bowls down, they stand in front of the bowl, give it an unenthusiastic sniff and walk away with sad eyes as if I’ve just given them cardboard or something. I would come home after work, and food wouldn’t be touched. Orijen is one dry that they will eat, but only sometimes. I recently switched them over to K9 Natural (freeze dried raw) – venison and occasionally add in some of the Green Tripe. OMG!!! – you would think they died and went to heaven. In two years, I’ve never seen them attack their food like this … like actual REAL dogs. It’s expensive, but soooo worth it. Since mine are small, the expense isn’t as much a factor. I do feel bad for those with large breeds who want to go the raw route because it IS expensive, but I am factoring in how much money I’ve wasted in the last two years with failed trial and error. I order on-line … it’s less expensive.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.