🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author
    Zandra C

Forgive me if this is a repeat but why is Victor not on the list?

#81537 Report Abuse
    Erik S

Frenchie’s Kitchen frozen cooked dog food.

#81574 Report Abuse
    Marc D

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula with Bison and Roasted Venison Dry Dog Food

#81576 Report Abuse
    April B

Honest Kitchen “Marvel”

#81617 Report Abuse
    Christi W

I would like Newmans Own Organic Grain Free canned to be considered.
    I would also like Nulo Medal Series grain free canned to be considered
    Thank you

#81726 Report Abuse
    GetALong D

Zignature Wet Food Turkey Formula. It appears to be a great low fat choice as well as being a great food. http://zignature.com/?portfolio=turkey-formula-2

#81738 Report Abuse
    John B

This is not exactly a nomination; it’s more of a request for comment. Some years ago (I am too old to remember), I was a member, here. I chose two dog foods from the (then) recommended list (Blue Buffalo: Salmon & Sweet Potato; and, Merrick Texas Beef: Salmon and Sweet Potato. Does anyone know why that they are no longer recommended?

Thanks,

John

#81740 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Merrick is still on the recommended list. Blue Buffalo recently lost a law suit accusing them of having byproducts in their food that were not listed on the ingredient panel

#81760 Report Abuse
    m c

NOW FRESH by Petcurean

#81777 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

It would be great to see a review of Dogs for the Earth. I’ve been using it in my picky pups’ rotation and they love it. Although most of the freeze dried and dehydrated foods have a pleasant smell, this smells intensely fresh and appetizing. I also appreciate that the animals used are humanely raised and the food is organic.

Thanks for your consideration, and a goldmine of a website.

#81857 Report Abuse
    natalie w

I would like a review specifically of senior dog foods please. I don’t see anythign on this site specifically for seniors, or did I miss it? (Just joined today)

#81859 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Natalie,
    senior foods, with the exception of Oriken senior, are generally too low in protein. Senior dogs need more quality protein, not less.

#81870 Report Abuse
    natalie w

Everything I have read says seniors need less protein so what food does this site recommend for a senior dog? And may I ask, are you a site administrator or what is your source of this knowledge? I’m new to the site so I’m not sure who answers these questions. Thanks

#81874 Report Abuse
    JAYANTA C

I am a brand new member.
    I WAS using SOLID GOLD till recently and I changed as they kept on increasing price and reduced the lbs of their bags.
    What is Jim’s opinion on that brand of Food??

#81875 Report Abuse
    Michelle R

It is true that you should not reduce the amount of protein for senior pets. In fact, some senior pets actually need more protein as they start to lose muscle mass. We are veterinarian owned and operated facility and specialize in pet nutrition. We are also the author of the Complete Dog Food Reference Guide which is in currently it’s 4th revision. You can read more about this from Tufts University: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/05/surprising-findings-from-tufts-study-of-37-senior-dog-foods.aspx

The only dietary requirement that differs is between puppies and adults. The rest is not an AAFCO feed requirement and is rather a gimmick to increase product sales (i.e. Senior diets, Large Breed, Small Breed, Breed-specific diets, hairball diets, indoor, etc). Only a pet in organ failure may require dietary protein adjustments as specifically directed by a veterinarian.

#81877 Report Abuse
    Jane D

I breed Shih Tzu and have for the past 28 years. For the last fifteen they have been on Solid Gold puppy and dog food till this summer.
    I have spoken to the owner Sissy( who I believe is in her eighties or just about there) and she told me she had sold only the manufacturing part of the company. She also stated it was in the contract that No changes were to be made to the recipes or the company reverted back to her. Well this summer all my dogs started throwing up! I mean constantly not just once in a while. I started looking for a new great food for them and one young man took the time to teach me about Acana foods and why they would be so good for my dogs!
    I have one allergic to chicken so we started on Acana Grasslands and they love it! The puppies were put on Acana puppy and the loved it as well.
    Go check it out at http://www.acana.com or http://www.acanadogfood.com, ask can never remember which it is.
    READ how it arrives, how it is cooked and what is in it. It is certified human grade meaning it is fit for human consumption as it is made with the same grade of meats, vegetables, fruit etc that we eat!
    It is cooked in its own juices with no added water( means your animals will drink more water of course) no additives, no bad stuff at all!
    I am keeping them on it! They are very healthy which is important to me and the cost is about what I was paying for Solid Gold.
    I am sold on Acana products!
    Check it out for yourself!

#81880 Report Abuse
    Bill K

/dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural/

#81953 Report Abuse
    Joe S

Victor GF all life stages chicken formula

#82178 Report Abuse
    sharon w

Dogs for the Earth
    Longboat Key Fla

#82237 Report Abuse
    natalie w

DO you ever review treats? Starmark treats are very sketchy. Some products say made in US and some say made in China and some say made in both countries. Garlic powder is also listed as an ingredient. I’m told some people give garlic to their dogs but I don’t think it’s safe as the ASPCA and Pet Poison control list it as a poison. I worry for people who feed these treats to their dogs.

#82245 Report Abuse
    Susan R

I would love to have treats evaluated. We use our kibble often, but sometimes we need another good alternative.

#82323 Report Abuse
    BOBBIE E

URBAN WOLF

It is a dog food mix formulated to be used with raw or cooked meat that is made in Canada and accessible in the USA. I have used it with 7 dogs representing three breeds for 6 months. Ages and breeds of my dogs range from 2 to 14 years, Australian Shepherd, Chinese Crested, Poodle (Standard and miniature).

The reasons I nominate it for your consideration are as follows:
    1. Fatty tumors disappeared
    2. Improved skin and coat health and shine
    3. Whiter teeth and healthier gums; little build up of tarter or plaque
    4. Good weight management
    5. No digestive issues
    6. Ear issues became non-existent

Cons:
    1. Availability
    2. Requires time to plan for ordering and making

It was recommended to me from a source who has a military working dog.

HOPEFUL to get your opinion and pass the word to others who genuinely desire to feed as healthy as possible.

Bobbie Elliff
    Arlington, TX

#82793 Report Abuse
    Renee D

Hello, I’d like to nominate THK Embark in particular. Have been using this since Oct. 2015 for my 2.5 y/o Golden Retriever after switching from kibble. He previously ate Acana or Orijen exclusively. I am thrilled with results for him! On acana and orijen he always had soft smelly stools no matter what I did. Not so on THK. Great stool. I also include PRIMAL DEHYDRATED NUGGETTS on rotational basis( lamb, beef, turkey/sardine) and think this product deserves consideration. I plan on rotating more formulas with these 2 brands and feel I’m feeding the best of the best for my boy. Please consider. Have been disappointed to not see it as they are both on other sites as top quality food.
    Thanks for what you do!
    Renee and Marley

#82805 Report Abuse
    Linda H

I just got a 6 month puppy large breed and wondered if nutrisource purevita venison and red lentils is a top quality brand and if my puppy needs additional supplement or a different brand.

#82809 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Linda- I can’t say for sure if that PureVita Formula is correctly formulated for a large breed puppy. NutriSource does however have a great large breed puppy formula that is. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a 5 star food, but it does have to have restricted calcium so your pup grows properly!

#82832 Report Abuse
    Aileen R

Solid Gold? I feed my 1.5 year old (5lb) chihuahua Solid Gold “Wee Bit” for all ages small breed. I asked a few breeder friends and they told me they had great ingredients and my lil guy has improved from dry skin and actually eats it without having to add warm water and etc. The kibble is also smaller. Any other foods with smaller kibble?
    Thanks. I’m shocked it’s not up here.

#82873 Report Abuse
    Teresia K

Honest Kitchen “grain free” foods.
    Thank you for your dedication!

#82878 Report Abuse
    Randi S

I’ve been using Fresh Is Best freeze-dried raw for about 6 months and I have noticed a very positive change in my my two labs – ages 5 and 7 years. They have both lost weight, their coats are very shiny and the poop output has shrunk which says to me their bodies are utilizing what I’m feeding them. It’s a small company, the owner sometimes answers the phone herself, and she’ll certainly email back. The only drawback for me is the expense with two big dogs.

#82896 Report Abuse
    Jody R

I would like to suggest Nutram Dry food for editors choice status. I see it’s listed as a 5 star product, but it does not appear under “editors choice”. Our dog had early signs of kidney issues and it was suggested that we switch to a lower phosphorous dog food. Nutram and Wellness I learned are lower in phosphorous than other dry dog foods. Since starting the new food his USG levels have improved significantly.

#82933 Report Abuse
    Donna S

I would like to nominate Earthborn dry and canned dog food,

#82935 Report Abuse
    Pat H

I would like to find out about Halo–I just started using it, as my dog is in complete remission with lymphoma, and her doctor suggested halo (8% vegan) because of this. I had been feeding her Blue Buffalo before, and want to give her the best for her health.
    Thank you.

msbrandy5795@att.net

#83120 Report Abuse
    Anne C
    Participant

I would like to see Performatrin Ultra Grain-Free Ocean Recipe – love it!! Tried to change to Acana but the ‘tummies’ didn’t care for it but Performatrin was and is fantastic for my dogs.

#83124 Report Abuse
    Linda H

I ordered Acana but the shoppe called to come pick it up and it was orijen when I got there. So we have used Orijen large puppy food and the pup is happy and her coat more shiny.

#83158 Report Abuse
    Patricia S

The brand I’ve been using for years, Flint River Ranch, has gone out of business. The distributor is now selling Tender & True. I’d like to know more about it.

#83259 Report Abuse
    Jan M

What about K9 Naturals raw out of New Zealand. Very user friendly — just shake out of bag. Their Tripe is great for rehabbing a pet off their feed. Also great immune builder. Contains only that protein species & what would be in the prey’s stomach. Also don’t think there has ever been a recall in New Zealand. They just treat their animals differently. No hormones, antibiotics or GMO’s. Just not the way they do things.

Jan in Arkansas

#83271 Report Abuse
    Pat H

How about Halo–Spot’s Stew–chicken recipe. Dry and canned.

#83370 Report Abuse
    Edward C

Nature’s Recipe Grain Free Chicken & Venison
    I just now joined ….so my choice is this one because:
    I was giving a little shih Tzu I found in the woods on my farm with; heart worms, cow ticks, dry eye, tape worms (and a few more minor problems beside being starved). I started her on Caesar’s (that was the best the country store had), but after many $$
    getting her back to health the vet gave me until 12/2016 to get 3 pounds off her.
    She would eat nothing but Caesar’s. I tried several others (wet and dry) with no luck.
    They won’t give samples so I had to buy a whole can just to try it. Finally a sales clerk at
    PetSmart suggested I try Natures Recipe…..Halleluiah !! She ate it and loves it. I researched Nature’s Recipe Grain Free and discovered they are reputable. Your site gives it a 5 star and the venison is a 4.5 star. My expensive AKC Sheltie loves it also 🙂
    BTW…..Your site, Chewy, sells it at $32.23 for 24 tubs(avg $1.34 per tub) PetSmart sells it at 1.29 per can….Chewy’s is not a bargain after all.

#83398 Report Abuse
    Loree E

I use Wells Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food, which is both inexpensive and rated 5 stars by you. Why is this not an EC brand?

#83399 Report Abuse
    Samantha S

What about NW natural raw dog foods?

#83400 Report Abuse
    Linda H

Loree, where do I look for the #5 rating that was given to Wells Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dog Food

#83401 Report Abuse
    Loree E

If you just go to the regular site and type in the name in the search, you can pull up the review.

#83404 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Here is a link to the Earthborn Primitive review: /dog-food-reviews/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural/

I’ve never seen an explanation on why a food is not on the list, only why they are on it. I’m guessing most likely due to avoiding a law suit. I believe it is on the budget friendly EC list though. I also have read many positive reviews on it from many different posters. If the food is working for your pup and your budget, do NOT worry about it not being on the list. Best of luck!

#83510 Report Abuse
    Marjorie M

Although it is a small company, I’d like to suggest The Robert Abady Company which makes a canned food which we’ve found very helpful for our recently (within the last 7 months) adopted dog with kidney disease.
    As I recall, I found this food because of the contribution of someone on this site.
    Although our most recent CBC results were not entirely based upon the Abady Complete Beef-based formula for Maintenance & Stress, life has been less stressful for me knowing that this food has only a maximum of 0.51% phosphorus and uses “good” protein sources.
    Having both his creatinine and BUN levels fall to within normal range has made it easier to stick to a 3 meal a day schedule which includes supplements, egg, sweet potatoes, beans and probiotics.
    BTW although he is only about 7, because of the kidney disease he was started on Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Senior before we adopted him. That is the kibble he is still devouring.

#83679 Report Abuse
    cynthia j

I am interested in canine caviar and zignature kangaroo. both canned and dry

#83807 Report Abuse
    Florence S

Now by petcurean, makers of GO!

#83852 Report Abuse
    Anne C
    Participant

I would like to see what you think of the Ultra Performatrin Ocean Recipe please. I use it for my dogs and they love it just dry with nothing on it however, when I have a treat in mind I add a spoonful of the Wellness 95% Salmon on top and the whole lot disappears in record time.

#83861 Report Abuse
    Charles Z

Canidae Grain Free Pure Elements is an excellent food – why doesn’t it make the list?

#83940 Report Abuse
    Stephanie B

I am interested in an analysis of the new Weruva dry foods…specifically Caloric Harmony but a comparison to the Caloric Melody would also be helpful. I love their human style canned food and am considering switching to their dry as well.

#83941 Report Abuse
    Stephanie B

Follow-up: I submitted a review suggestion request for the Weruva dry.

Thanks!

#84095 Report Abuse
    Jennifer J

I would like to nominate Blue Wilderness but I’d especially like to know why it’s not on the Editor’s Choice list when it’s a 5-star meat-based kibble?

Viewing 50 posts - 851 through 900 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.