Nominate a Brand for Editor's Choice

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Nominate a Brand for Editor's Choice

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,192 total)
  • Author

Did we miss a brand of dog food you believe should be granted Editor’s Choice status? Please use this thread to nominate that brand and we’ll give it serious consideration.

Please keep in mind that each Editor’s Choice nominee could have its own specific reasons why it might fail to meet our posted guidelines. Or why its website may not meet our minimum requirements to make it eligible for a review by our editorial team.

With hundreds of nominations in this thread alone, it would be impossible for us to provide a detailed reply to each comment we receive.

In any case, please be assured we regularly scan these nominations for new and qualified Editor’s Choice candidates.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Mike Sagman.
    • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Mike Sagman.
    #36857 Report Abuse
    donna b

don’t want to nominate just want to know what happen to artemis what changed??

#36859 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Donna,

I’m far from having read all the content on here so far, so I didn’t recall seeing anything in particular about Artemis changing; but isn’t Artemis made by Diamond? I would be surprised to see a Diamond product on the EC list due to their recall history.

#36884 Report Abuse
    Naturella

What about the Victor Grain Free? Would that be a high-quality all-around food?

#36892 Report Abuse
    Bunker

Hi, I thought for sure Answer’s Detailed or Vital Essentials would have been on this list. Any chance these two raw food brands would be considered?

#36893 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Laurie A,

Those are both great suggestions. I agree, both are wonderful products.

Last Fall, I wanted very badly to try Answers. I thought I had found a local retailer for the product, but she had just stopped carrying the raw product and carried the goat’s milk only. Answers is fairly hard to find and I know that Dr. Mike took into consideration how readily available products were. I don’t know for certain, but would think that the lack of ease of availability could hurt its chances here.

#36894 Report Abuse
    Bunker

Hi Betsy, OK – that makes sense. In the past I considered Stella and Chewy’s but stayed away because of the HPP process. Now reading Dr. Mike’s thoughts on this, maybe I should reconsider? I was wondering if Answer’s and Vital Essential was not mentioned because they do not use HPP?

#36896 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Any place within two hours that carried Answers has stopped. Since I live in a small state, I don’t think it’s available anywhere.

#36902 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Bunker. Yes, I too was surprised that Answers Detailed didn’t make the list. Here in Georgia you can find it in a number of places and anyone who carries their goat milk can order the food.

The real shocker for me was that Darwin’s is not on the list. I thought surely it would be. Huh?

So, Mike, I guess I’m going to take this opportunity to nominate both Answers Detailed and Darwin’s.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Dori.
    #36910 Report Abuse
    Patt W

EARTHBORN PRIMITIVE NATURAL

#36945 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Naturella….I feel Victor dog food is a very good food, some even state they are GMO free. I feel it should be nominated.

#36971 Report Abuse
    John R

Nature’s Logic

#36980 Report Abuse
    Aussie

Farmina N&D is the best food you have reviewed by a long shot.

#36981 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Unfortunately, Farmina isn’t available in the U.S. and therefore doesn’t meet the widely available criteria for EC selections.

#36984 Report Abuse
    butchroy
    Participant

I too would like to nominate Darwin’s, it is available right to your door, so that would make easily available. Thank you!

#36985 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi butchboy. I too would think that Darwin’s would meet the readily available criteria as it is available on line and also auto shipped so you’re never without it. Maybe it will make the list eventually as the continue to update and add foods.

#37000 Report Abuse
    donna b

there you go!! didn’t realize they were now under Diamond ugh!

#37021 Report Abuse
    Kenneth N

I also would like to nominate Darwins….Quality, Service, and Availability of staff to answer questions. And oh yes, HONESTY!

#37022 Report Abuse
    Cathy M

I would also like to nominate Darwin’s. It appears to be a quality product.

#37028 Report Abuse
    Dori

Love seeing so many people nominating Darwin’s food. Love the food, company, customer service has always been available to answer any and all questions and never make me feel like I’m asking too many questions and they can’t wait to get off the phone like so many other companies. Nice group of people, and, yes, seems to also be totally honest and above board.

#37030 Report Abuse
    Anna S

Acana Grasslands. I have been feeding this for about a year and have been very pleased with my hairless dogs skin.

#37035 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Anna –

Acana Grasslands is included as an Editor’s Choice selection. Glad you’re having such good luck with it!

#37069 Report Abuse
    Lorna B

I would also like to nominate Nature’s Logic.

#37108 Report Abuse
    Valerie N

So glad the list is now up Dr. Mike. I too would like to see Darwin’s and Nature’s Logic on the list. But more than anything, I’d really like to know if there is a reason they shouldn’t be on the list.

#37116 Report Abuse
    Isabel P

I already feed 2 of my 3 Dr Tim’s grain-free but my 3rd dog is now allergic to potatoes so I am forced to feed her Orijen. I’m shocked to not see it on the list- I’d love to know why…it’s the only dry grain free potato free dog food I have found. It’s very pricey however I thought it was a 5 star rated food.

#37124 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It is on the list. Look under Champion.

#37133 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Isabel,

There are plenty of other grain and white potato free foods. Are you looking for others?

#37172 Report Abuse
    Isabel P

Hi Betsy:
    Yes, I would love to know what other options would be available- she can’t have any type of potato (white, sweet, etc).

#37177 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Isabel,

Try visiting this thread:/forums/topic/grain-and-potato-free-dog-foods/.

The list contains grain and white potato free foods. Some, but not all of the products listed do contain sweet potato, but at least it gets you started by eliminating two of your problem ingredients.

#37179 Report Abuse
    Isabel P

Thanks Betsy!!

#37415 Report Abuse
    Marianthi
    Participant

I would also like to nominate Darwin’s Natural Selections. I first began feeding my puppies Stella & Chewy’s but switched after trying Darwin’s. I felt their food was much fresher than Stella & Chewy’s, which to me has always had a freezer-burn appearance to it.

#37420 Report Abuse
    Dori

Have you tried Primal raw. Really good company and great food. Don’t forget even feeding raw you should be rotating brands as well as proteins. I use Darwins, Stella and Chewy’s, Primal and Answers as well as others that don’t right now come to mind. Oh, I use THK Zeal though it’s not raw, but a really good food as well as a good company. Human grade and produced in a human grade facility.

#37510 Report Abuse
    Doris H

Blue Buffalo Wilderness

#37518 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They have too many co-packers.

#37539 Report Abuse
    Kenneth K

Don’t know if this is the place for this but…

I noticed Ziwipeak has a Beef flavor.

#37593 Report Abuse
    Nancy D

Acana?

#37597 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Acana is covered under champion foods

#37611 Report Abuse
    Connie T

Please evaluate Great Life. It is USA made and has never had a recall. I have never heard of most of the brands you have listed as I live in Minnesota. Must be East Coast or West Coast brands? I just switched to Great Life and what a difference in my dogs

#37614 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No, they aren’t East or West brands, you just either have to read more here or find exactly the right store or order online dog food. Most of these brands aren’t available anywhere within 100 miles of me, but I am aware that they exist and where I can get them online.

Great Life hasn’t had a recall because when they had an incident that should have resulted in a recall, they very quietly did a product withdrawal instead, so if you weren’t paying attention to your brand at exactly the right time, you wouldn’t even know that there might potentially be a problem with your food. I wouldn’t buy from a company that does that, because I know they wouldn’t inform me or anyone else of real issues. No trust.

#37615 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty, the last paragraph you wrote up there brings up a question: how do we know that hasn’t happened to other foods? Is it something easily found by google? Makes me wonder about other foods.

#37641 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie, there have been a number of what is known as a “silent recall” through the years and, unfortunately, you have to be googling and constantly researching and get on every dog food recall list on line that you possibly can in hopes that sometimes those in the know get wind of them. That’s what I do, anyway. I don’t rely on any one site for recalls. As you know The Truth About Pets is a really great one. I check that site out every single day as well as others. Anytime I find out about any company or brand that has done that I cross them off my list of foods. I don’t adhere to the thinking that anyone can have a problem so let’s give them another chance. Nope! Any company that has recalls worse, a silent recall, are not getting a chance to injure my girls. I’ve stopped feeding kibble and commercial treats for those reasons. I have been feeding commercial raw and now some home made with supplements and their digestive systems are now strong enough that if a commercial raw food company has minor issues I know they’ll be fine. I don’t really trust any kibble company. I’d always be nervous. The only company that’s not raw that I trust is The Honest Kitchen and I rarely feed that anymore because it contains alfalfa and Katie has recently become intolerant or down right allergic to it.

#37642 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dori,
    I’m a huge THK fan..you know they had a recall last year, right? I’m okay with it, it was parsley, they took care of the issue & I’m excited to try the new products they have coming later this year. I generally trust every company until given reason not to. Regarding commercial raw, Bravo had a recall as well. I’m using what’s left of Darwin’s for Ginger and Boone eats grinds from Hare Today.

#37646 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have no problem with a company having a minor recall. I have major problems if I feel they didn’t handle it right, and a silent recall is the highest form of not handling it right. I would have had absolutely no problem with Great Life if they had said they had an equipment failure and needed to recall the food that was affected, no problem at all, but the fact that they tried to keep quiet about such a minor thing makes me wonder how much they would try to keep quiet about just so they can put no recalls on the label.

I have no idea how many companies have done likewise, because you basically have to have the right person looking at them at the right time so word can leak out.

#37650 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Marie. I knew about The Honest Kitchen. Since I purchase directly from them they telephoned me before the recall was even posted, there were no actually incidences in any of their food with the parsley so were being pre-emptive. I love those people. Sadly, I won’t be able to feed their food any longer. No, I don’t nor have I ever fed Bravo because of their recall. Never particular felt comfortable with that company anyway. I never knew why I felt that and then they had the recall. Somebody up there was looking out for my girls. Thanks Marie.

Patty. Makes me wonder how many times things have happened with Great Life that never got out. If they kept quiet about a minor issue then my gut tells me this is not the first time they’ve had issues.

#37651 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Exactly, I want a company that behaves like THK did. I can feel completely confident that they care about more than just getting my money in their hands. I can trust them and I have to trust the company I’m using to feed my dog.

#37652 Report Abuse
    Dori

Absolutely, Patty. Those old days of believing everything and being swayed by the pretty packaging and just buying kibble, etc. are long long gone. I’m hoping enough consumers understand it and put some of those companies out of business by not buying products from companies that have absolutely no concern about the animals that are eating their foods. All they care about is how much money they can make. I pray I’m wrong for the animals but sooner or later you just know there will be another disaster. I refuse for me and my girls to be on that train when it derails.

#37665 Report Abuse
    Kim B

This may not be the appropriate place but I notice alot of the foods that made your “top dog” list contain meal. pea, and potato. I am a pet food retailer and research the foods I recommend to my clients very very carefully. Of course it didnt hurt to have a dog training client that was 30 years in R and D in the pet food industry..ha/ha. I prefer a freeze dried meat as at least I know that it can be of “human grade” quality. I believe meal is not for human consumption and doesnt fall under the same regulatory practices in manufacturing. Would love your feedback on this. Also what is your opinion on the research on the use of white potato in pet foods. Thanks!

#37667 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

At one time, the USDA set the maximum allowable limit for salmonella in human grade chicken at 23%. I’m not sure what is now but there’s more salmonella allowed in human food than there is for dog food. Bravo tested positive for 2 fractions of salmonella, so they had to recall.

#37672 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Kim B –

Great points! Freeze-dried and human-grade foods are wonderful – you’ll find some on the Editor’s Choice list. However some of the goals in constructing this list was to compile a collection of foods which would meet our reader’s needs in terms of availability and convenience among other things – you can read more about the selection guidelines here: /choosing-dog-food/brand-guidelines/. The majority of dog owners feed kibble as either the main component of their dogs’ diet – it’s often readily available, it’s convenient and it’s more cost effective than most “alternative” foods – so we felt inclined to include various brands of kibble as the bulk of the report. After thorough investigation we feel that all of these companies we have included which produce kibble provide a superior product as opposed to other companies producing kibble.

Concerning white potato, due to the nature of kibble manufacturing all kibbles require a starch component to act as a binder. There are pro’s and con’s to any binder (be it a grain, legume, potato, etc.). White potato provides a viable option for many dogs that are unable to consume grains due to allergies or intolerances. Concerns about particular ingredients are a great reason for all pet owners to investigate diet rotation – /frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/.

#37674 Report Abuse
    Kim B

Thanks for the reply Hound Dog Mom…love the profile pic! I guess what I meant to say was that I was surprised that so many premium diets on your list contain meal as a main ingredient. I look for freeze dried meats in the kibble I sell. There are only a few that do and I hope that changes in the future! I believe sweet potato and yams do not carry the risks that white potato does. I hope you reconsider Great Life in your future listings as I have found their ingredient list and quality pretty tough to beat. I was a retailer during what another member called a silent recall. I didnt see it as that as I was immediately called and was told to give all my clients a heads up that there “may” be a problem, they also refunded anyone that wanted to return product as well as what I had on my shelves. No pets were affected but they were being proactive before a real problem or recall surfaced. It didnt last long and this was the first and only time it had occurred.
    Great site by the way! Glad I joined!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 1,192 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.