🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Erika I

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice! I recently (2months ago) transitioned my 4-year-old pug (Bella) to a raw diet- the “Yeast Starvation Diet” (ground beef, cooked whole eggs, dinovite, and fish oil). She was having major yeast issues- non-stop itching, dark balding spots, little black spots, inflamed ears and feet. At first, she was doing great- she loved the food and her itchy, irritated skin subsided. However, the last few weeks I noticed she has been regurgitating her meal. This happens at least once a day. I am worried and not sure if I need to take her in or if this is normal?

Thank you for any advice!
    Erika

#96593 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I can’t answer your question but want to mention that that is not a balanced raw diet. You need edible bones and organs. You need more proteins….fine to take some time to make sure the dog does well on a certain protein but father two months, she should be on another protein, at least.

#96770 Report Abuse
    Erika I

yeah, I was told to stick to this diet till I saw improvements in her skin. The few websites that talk about the Yeast Starvation Diet seemed to suggest you could keep your dog on this diet for awhile… but maybe this is not the case. I have searched and found some good raw dog food recipes that I will implement. I just was not sure how long it takes for a dog to fully transition over to raw and if her throwing up is a part of that or something else.
    Thanks for your help.

#96773 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

I have no recent personal experience using Dinovite, but I do know of many owners who have used Dinovite with good results and others who have had their dogs do nothing but refuse it, or throw it back up whenever it was fed. It seems like people either absolutely love it and swear by it, or hate it and swear it’s nothing but a gimmick.

Has your Pug had Dinovite in the past, before starting the yeast starvation diet? What about beef, eggs, and fish (even though you’re feeding fish oil and not the whole fish, it still could be some form of reaction.)

Raw dog food recipes don’t need to be complicated and not all dogs need (nor thrive on) diets that include vegetables, grains, sweet potatoes, and all the “extras” recipes throw in. Some dogs do better with, some without, some it seems to make no difference. Prey model raw is pretty much 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organs (half of this being liver.)

If and when we feed vegetables of any sort, it’s mostly limited to a handful of leftovers (we like ’em steamed, too!) and herbs (parsley, dandelion, etc.)

#96792 Report Abuse
    Erika I

Acrovali- yes, she has had it in the past and did fine on it. I’m not sure if it is caused by another ingredient. I am going to try a different recipe to see if it’s the ground beef. Thank you for your input on various ingredients. I am a bit nervous to give her bones – I thought the egg shells would have been sufficient, but maybe I need to read up on that more.

#96796 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Many people feed boneless raw; they just add pulped (usually steamed) vegetables and sweet potatoes or pumpkin for fiber. The shells (provided you’re giving the correct amount finely ground) would be good for calcium that would otherwise be present in bones.
    http://dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html#cooked
    There are guidelines in this article for those who wish to feed a raw diet that does not contain bones. Hope this is helpful!

#98022 Report Abuse
    LEELINA M

My puppy “Minnie” also began regurgitating her ground beef meal. Someone suggested lightly cooking the beef. It worked. Maybe she was tired of the taste. I also switched the type of bowl when feeding the beef I put it on a plate or shallow bowl. Sounds weird but it worked. I also added a table spoon of canned pumpkin after heating it to cool it back down and mask the scent for her. She eats a fully balanced RAW diet with different protein every day so i figure lightly cooking only the beef isn’t hurting. You should be feeding her an array of other protein so maybe she’s sick of the taste. I personally say to try switching to chicken, lamb or pork. Once a week start adding a new protein.

On YOUTUBE Rodney Habib “Homemade Dog Food Recipe” is what I follow as a guideline and I change up the protein plus I feed RAW MEATY BONES every other day. Since Minnie is a puppy I also add more calcium and other things to balance this for a growing puppy but it is balanced for an adult dog.

Sounds like maybe there could be a Leaky Gut Issue that is causing the initial inflammation. Go to dogsnaturallymagazine.com “ultimate guide to fixing hotspots naturally” for a list of things to feed to help repair and prevent leaky gut. Good luck. I hope everything works out ok. Keep up posted on her progress to Raw 🙂

Love, Leelina

#98113 Report Abuse
    Erika I

Thank you so much for help Leelina! I found that video super helpful and I am going to follow that recipe. I switched her over to ground turkey and she is doing so much better! thank you again for your advice:)

One other question I would like to put out there is about hair loss. She is losing small patches of hair and the skin underneath is a gray color. Is this yeast that is still dying off or is it a sign of malnutrition? I have taken her to our vet and they are not sure what it is. she is at a healthy weight and acting her happy normal self. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue? I should also add that she is super itchy!
    Thanks for the help!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Erika I.
    #98115 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It could be hyperpigmentation. A common symptom of environmental allergies which the other symptoms you mentioned in your first post indicate.
    Only further diagnostic testing, preferably by a veterinary dermatologist can answer your questions, as there are several other conditions that could cause this and should be ruled out.
    This condition went away after my dog starting allergen specific immunotherapy (desensitization). The discolored skin remains, which is normal. But, no hair loss.
    She now tolerates a variety of foods and requires no meds. The ASIT is a natural solution and lifelong treatment.

#98117 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #98118 Report Abuse
    Erika I

Thank you Anon101 for your help! I will try taking her into a veterinary dermatologist. I thought it was a major yeast infection but maybe it’s this hyperpigmentation. I was hoping the switch in foods would help but I think now it might be something she’s allergic to. Her itchiness and hair loss subsided for a month or so but now its back.

#98119 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yep, environmental allergies tend to wax and wane. Hopefully it’s seasonal/mild and can be managed by medications such as Apoquel certain times of the year, not all year round.
    A veterinary dermatologist is best. Good luck
    Ps: You could try bathing with a gentle shampoo. I would not apply anything to irritated skin or mess around with over the counter meds (unless your vet says it’s okay) You could make it worse.

#98120 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Ps: The Dinovite may be the cause of the vomiting. Adverse reactions have been reported.
    I wouldn’t use it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.