šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tabia s

hi i am sorry if the has been talked about already in advance but i have several questions. both me and my s/o received a chorkie, she is 9 month.when we got her she was already eating Purana puppy chow.we have recently noticed she has been losing weight. we have been giving her 1 full cup of her dry food per day, she has just recently received all her shots because her previous owner didnt give her any. our question is what type of foods or dog foods wet or dry will help put some weight on her,maintain it and keep her healthy. any and all advice would be of great value

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by tabia s.
    #90868 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I have owned several small breeds over the years, my little poodle mix (9 pounds) does well on Nutrisca kibble 1/4 cup 2 times a day with a small scoop (tablespoon +) of cooked chopped chicken/turkey or scrambled egg or tuna, broiled chicken liver….maybe a bite for a snack once or twice a day also. I add a splash of water or homemade chicken broth (no onions) to meals. Long walks as tolerated.
    Some dogs are naturally lean, metabolisms differ. No free feeding (leaving food down) pick up food if not eaten after 10 minutes and store in fridg, offer at the next meal time. It’s okay if they skip a meal here and there.
    Weigh once a week, stand on scale and note your weight, then pick up the dog, note weight and subtract your weight. Then you can adjust the amount of food accordingly. Plus, don’t be afraid to ask your vet as to what he recommends.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.