šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeannine M

I am getting a new pup on Saturday and right now am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what to do puppy food wise. It is a 12 week old Mastweiler- otherwise known in the old days half mastiff half Rottweiler (mutt)!😄 I originally bought my first pup, same “breed” 22 years ago. She died 12 years later and I just had to have another of the same mix but in the meantime that mix became a designer “breed” called a Mastweiler. I can see why because you can not believe what amazing dogs they are! So in searching for the same mix I could only find a breeder which happened to be clear across the country from me and hella expensive for a “mutt”! He was the best purchase I EVER made. Honestly, truely, the love of our lives. Too late to make a long sad story short but we lost him August 31st just 8 short years later. January 2 he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his left rear leg and after an agonizing decision decided to amputate but 7 months later he was gone.😢 Said I would never get another animal again but two short weeks later the quiet in my house was deafening, we hated being home.
    Fast forward and after contacting the same “breeder we got BOSCO from our new pup is coming Saturday!! NOW to my question😏- she has the pups on TLC all life stages dog food
    but it doesn’t look to me like it has that much meat protein, and I also don’t see max calcium. I’ve read everything on here and am tired of going back and forth trying to figure this out. I was wondering if someone could recommend one that would be the best to start with or should I stick with the TLC? BOSCO was 140lbs and quiet tall but VERY athletic. Hoping this dog isn’t quiet so big for health purposes but you never know! Thanks in advance!

#90676 Report Abuse
    Maria K

Acana Regionals Wild Atlantic is a good kibble. Answers Detailed Pork formula is a good commercial raw option. It comes in patties.

#90680 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jeannine-

You will need to email the company to find out the average or MAX calcium and phosphorus levels of the food the breeder has your puppy on and then input those values into the tool found here: /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

If the food falls between a ratio of 1.1:1-1.5:1 for Ca/Phos and a 3g/1000kcal Ca/calorie ratio then the food is safe.

A lot of breeders, vet’s, rescues, dog clubs etc are still unaware that calcium and phosphorus, plus weight gain are what put large and giant breed puppies at higher risk for DOD’s and not protein. So they focus on low protein puppy foods, not realizing protein is not the issue.

#90682 Report Abuse
    Jeannine M

I saw you recommend Purina Pro, I am trying to research that now. My husband was just wanting to try the Fromm because the calculations were already done for us!

#90686 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi, yes I like Pro Plan. Mainly because it has been AAFCO feed trialed on large breed puppies and is formulated by veterinary nutritionists. Not to mention Purina are one of the two leading researchers in the industry on the topic of large and giant breed puppy growth and nutrition. People may view their products as inferior because they feel they use low quality ingredients. I feel those people are misinformed greatly about the proper way to evaluate a pet food.

I would also like to add that I like Fromm as well because of the companies long standing history and committment to quality control, similar to Purina.

#90726 Report Abuse
    Jeannine M

Ok so I got the max rate for calcium for the TLC but they didn’t say max for phosphorous. I can’t figure out the calculator to save my soul. When I plug in the numbers his is what I get.
    Are these numbers ok?
    Calcium Content Analyzer
    Step 1
    Enter dog food’s calcium content
    % Calcium 1.5
    Step 2
    Enter dog food’s phosphorus content
    % Phosphorus 0.8
    Step 3
    Enter dog food’s calorie content
    kcal / kg 440

Calcium = 34.1 g per 1000 kcal
    Ca to P ratio = 1.9 to 1

#90729 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Whoa. Something definitely went wrong. Those numbers especially the Ca/calorie ratio is off the charts. You also will need to know the average or max phos for the calculator to work. See if you can get that number. If they won’t give it out I’d switch foods.

#90733 Report Abuse
    Jeannine M

Right?! Weird huh? I know the min. Is 0.8 so even if you say 0.9 the ratio is 1.7 to 1.0 or if I put 1.0 in phos. it becomes 1.5 to 1.0 but the calcium is still 34.1 g per 1,000.
    Do you think somehow the decimal is in the wrong place. so confused!

#90734 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I think your error was when you entered in the kcals/kg. That makes the most sense to me.

#90735 Report Abuse
    Jeannine M

So what do you get if the ME is 440 the max calcium is 1.5 and I know the phos. min is 0.8?

#90740 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I see the problem after looking at their puppy formula on the website. The only number provided is the kcals/cup. You need the kcals/kg. Something that if you may need to email them for. But regardless of that the ca/phos ratio is already too high. I’d chose another food.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.