šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sam Koch

Hello!

My name is Sam. I am adopting a dog soon, her name is Alice and she’s a Lab mix. I want the best food possible and an easy transitioning of food for her. Are there any suggestions? I’ve been looking at Orijen and Acana. They guessed that she’s a little less than a year old and she’s about 50 pounds. Any suggestions would be great!

Sam

#65084 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Both of those foods are great but I’d probably start with Acaca. Take a week to transition her so she doesnt get an upset tummy.

#65085 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thank you so much for adopting! I agree that both Orijen and Acana are great foods, and that you should transition slowly. Get some of the food she was eating at the shelter/foster/previous home to use during transition. Also, I would suggest rotational feeding, since no food is perfect. Here is some more info on that: /frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/
    Always transition slowly with rotation as well. Good luck!

#65088 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Grrr… my post disappeared. I’ll try again.

Hi Sam,

I like both foods, as part of a rotation.

What I think I’d do first is try to find out what Alice has been eating and get some of that to feed her for a couple of weeks after she gets to your house. Adjusting to a new home is enough of a change without having to try to adjust to a new food, too.

I’d also see if they have any history of what she’s been eating and if she’s had any problems on anything she’s eaten. If she’s been fostered, the foster family might have that information.

Congrats!

#65115 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

Thanks for all the replies!
    She’s a very well behaved dog and will start service dog training after she transitions thoroughly.
    Never heard of rotating food! Will definitely read the article.

Sam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.