šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    D L M

Would appreciate your help with finding a great food for a neutered male. Thanks DLM

#87442 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi D L M-

I wouldn’t say there is a specific food that neutered dogs do better on than the other. Some choose to use lower calorie foods, since neutering/spaying decreases metabolism. I think the most important thing to think about when feeding an altered dog vs an intact dog is calories. Most pet parents will not adjust the dogs daily caloric intake when they neuter or spay the dog. That is what causes the weight gain.

I’ve had great success using the Dog Food Calculator tool on the homepage of this website. For your dog I would choose the option “Senior, Neutered, Inactive” for activity level.

/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

#87455 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Keep the dog active, a 1 hour or at least a 20 minute brisk walk every day will do wonders to keep a dog fit.
    Choose a quality kibble, check the calories, Orijen is a good food but is higher in calories, so you would feed less and maybe add a topper (a spoonful of cooked ground turkey or something lean).
    Nutrisca is a decent food and is a little lower in calories. Feed measured amounts twice a day and add a splash of water….especially if the dog is not a water drinker.
    Do not free feed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.