Nail biting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kayley L

Hey! I have a two and a half year old female corgi, who has been through the ringer with different foods. She has a chicken allergy, and is currently on Go! Turkey, potato free and is doing fairly well on it, aside from the fact that she’s chewing on the nails of her front right paw.

I was thinking of switching switching to Fromm Beef Fritata, thinking that it might not just be a chicken allergy, but a poultry allergy..

Was just wondering if I could get some opinions on this switch, because of where I work I can get pretty much any food the store sells free once a month so price isn’t an issue, just want to eliminate all possible variables (food wise).

Thanks in advance,
    Kayley

#37776 Report Abuse
    mogavero1955

Hi Kayley, first of all, check the dog’s nails. My mini beagle bites her nails…when it is time for a cut. 🙂 If it is itchy, it probably is allergies. My other beagle has allergies and always gets ear infections. We have changed foods so often. Response FP, taste of the wild salmon, arcana fish, blue buffalo salmon, fromms duck and now earthborn lamb. The last four just the last two weeks! I noticed his ear infected tonight. The lamb I started yesterday. So, my advice is trial and error. I had heard Fromms was good but so are many others. I would recommend grain free. Good luck!

#37794 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

In dogs, nail biting can be a sign of a nail bed infection, which is usually yeast.

#37814 Report Abuse
    Dori

I have a 14 year old Maltese that chewed her nails for most of her life. Eventually when I grew a brain and switched all my girls to grain, poultry, white potato, soy free foods foods, their groomer mentioned to me (I hadn’t even realized it) that Hey! When did Hannah stop biting her nails (she never ever needed any of her nails trimmed because she bit them all off)? My reaction, of course brainless that I was, said HUH? I’ll be damned! She has never bit them again. So was it the grains, poultry, white potato, soy, white rice??????? Don’t know but I hope this directs you to look into any of these ingredients you might be feeding.

theBCnut Hannah never had nail infections or anything. She chewed all her nails on her paws and feet. The vet and groomer used to tell me that periodically they would come across a dog that just chewed their nails but they didn’t seem to be concerned. I bit my nails when I was a kid (actually I stopped after going through hypnosis at the age of 21) so I didn’t give it much thought. I figured she was healthy and I didn’t think hypnosis would work for her LOL!

#37831 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Food intolerances often cause yeast overgrowth with contributes to the itchy skin etc. Nail biting is often accompanied by reddish brown stains at the nail bed, which is a sign of yeast infection. They can go hand in hand, but they don’t have to. I’ve had 3 dogs with food issues and none of them chewed their nails. I had one that chewed her nails and didn’t have food issues, but she had grass issues and those cause damp feet, which also encourages yeast growth.

#37839 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

My boy is nail licking at the moment, Paddy, I just read about one of ur dogs having damp wet feet, I read all the time, that some dogs are allergic to chicken what happens when a dog is allergic to chicken?????… I started Patch on boiled chicken, Pumkin, half a boiled egg & sweet Potatoes about 3 weeks ago just for breakfast cause of his Pancreatitis, but now Patches back & front paws are red & sores inbetween his toes, he had this last yr the same time around late March- April & 1 vet said it was Furunculosis, but last yr it cleared up quicker & wasnt as bad.. we did have about 1 & half weeks of rain 3 weeks ago & Patch loves his walks..I dont Know is it from his boiled chicken, Ive cut out the sweet Potatos cause of the carbs, Or is it from damp wet feet from walking in the wet for over 1 week, they smell real yeasty Ive been soaking paws in Detol antiseptic water this kills the bacteria I think, but I dont like soaking his feet as I think its from water so I only soak every 3-4 days.. I was thinking of getting him shoes but I’ve never gotten them. I dont think its the chicken cause his Kibble is Chicken & turkey & his feet were fine 1 month ago, as soon as I fix one problem with Patch another problem happens poor dog he never has a break…What creams can I put on them, Im putting Hydrocortisone & antibiotic cream but its not clearing it…I dont want to see the vet again,

#37842 Report Abuse
    Dori

It could be a reaction to the poultry but it sounds somewhat more of an allergy season issue. The only thing at allergy season is keep maybe a bucket (small pail) by the door and before he walks in the door rinse his feet off and keep a towel nearby. It’s pollen season is seems to be really bad already and it’s so early in the season. Here in Georgia where I live everything is coated in a yellowish/greenish powder. I’ve already started hosing and wetting down the backyard area where I let them down and trying to rinse off steps to back door. My dog has food allergies and intolerances but she also has same issues with outdoor allergy seasons.

#37854 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Sue, if it was a food allergy, I would expect it to spread to other parts of the body. I think it might be a contact allergy. Rinsing the feet after going outdoors would help. A cat litter pan filled with water and a mild soap makes an easy foot bath.

#41244 Report Abuse
    Kayley L

I am happy to say the nail biting has stopped when she was switch off poultry completely.

Thanks for all the advice!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.