🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Hey my cat peeps, I’m the lady with the 8 rescue cats at Subway. They are all alive and getting sweeter to me(they run from everyone else) This is my concern: They eat real good but the last week they look skinny to me. Would having worms cause them to lose wt and eat more. It has been a year since they were wormed. I have no problem worming them but it is hard to catch some of them. It took me a month to finally get frontline on all of them.I was thinking about taking the 5 I have no problem catching to vet for worming but I’d really like to do it myself. What worming pill? They might looking skinny because of the heat. It is 105 heat index today and for the next 10 days. They stay under the building where it’s cooler but their cat condo seems too hot but it is great in winter. I wish I could air condition one of the back buildings but my hubby says no. I’m trying, any suggestions. Thanks,the crazy cat lady

#74564 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi fellow crazy cat lady!!!

Your stories always warm my heart! Keep working on that hubby! He’ll eventually cave. LOL! I do notice that my cats have been eating a little less in the heat. But they are far from getting skinny! I think that it would be a great idea to worm them. I believe that you can buy over the counter dewormers that are good at feed stores. I do not have much experience as I keep all my cats indoors now and have not had to deworm them. I hope someone with some experience will chime in for you.

I can’t imagine catching 8 wild kitties. I have one fairly tame kitty who only weighs about 7 or 8 pounds, she’s 16 years old and you would think that a tornado went through our house after I finally get her in a carrier to take her to the vet! She always manages to get under a bed or couch that we have to overturn to grab her and she still squeaks by two or three of us and gets under another! I guess I’ll truly be worried about her health when she no longer has the energy to turn our house upside down!!

Do you have any traps you could use? I think that you can “borrow” them from shelters and/or rescue groups to help out your cause. I know I’ve seen them for sale at some feed stores and outdoor/hunting type stores. Again, I think worming them is probably an important thing. I think that it is awesome that you still have all 8 kitties hanging around. You are doing a great job!

#74604 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you could take some to the vet and get Revolution for all of them, that would probably be best and easiest, not easy, just easiest. Otherwise, I would probably try mixing strongid into canned food and hope that they eat enough, about 2 cc per kitty. Strongid is OTC and found at most feed stores. You can give it directly into the mouth, if they won’t claw you up. Of all the oral wormers, it’s the only one that doesn’t taste foul(guess how I know). It won’t kill everything, but it would be a starting place. Getting a fresh fecal would be best, so you know what you are trying to kill.

If you already feed some canned food, do you add diatomatious earth to their canned food? That would be a good idea going forward.

My cats always get thinner in this heat, so you also want to evaluate hair quality. Do they seem dry and patchy, or thin coated? Are they dull?

#74606 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Thanks BC!! 😉

Weezerweeks:
    Did you see the list I posted for large sized canned cat foods?

#75013 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I ordered drontal tablets for my cats. I decided to catch them put drontal Down their throat,frontline on them and mite medicine in their ears. I will probably have to go to the Dr. Myself afterwards for an antibiotic shot for my scratched up, bitten body! Wish me luck!

#75035 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh boy! Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.