šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    frostyrockyk

When Frosty the Gr. Pyrenees was a pup he ate rocks . The vet said that was very bad & he would need to cut him open if he kept it up . He said he would grow out of it , but that his body craved bricks to build the big dog from & his puppy food ( benifil ) was not getting it done . He said feed him cottage cheese to help build up his bones . I think it worked well , it didn’t take long & he stopped eating rocks . I NOW FEED BONE MEAL WITH PHOSPHORUS with my home cooking , I think that helps the dogs take calcium into their body.

#60456 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I’m confused. Is this still an issue for you, or are you talking about how you solved it?

#60458 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Adding too much Calcium to a large / giant breed pup’s can have some pretty detrimental consequences.

#60464 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

I started this in case other folks had the same problem . I saw in a post the use of cottage cheese in home made food & made me think of this . RE: calcium , I got the cook book ” REAL FOOD for healthy dogs & cats ” in the book they cover many , many things . I know too much of anything can be bad , like a belly full of rocks & a huge vet bill to cut him open to take them out ! I don’t recall word for word , but they talked about the need for Phosphorus with calcium . There are also charts of how much per weight of dog . Like many here I also mix up what I feed my dog , my guess I don’t feed enough calcium , I don’t give it every meal & also give her cottage cheese , milk , sour cream , cheese , ice cream , yogurt . She gets deer bones from the woods on her own & killed & eaten rabbits . RE: raw bones , most people likely can’t get them , but if you know any deer hunters , the full rib cage is good for them to chew on . The ribs are good because the dogs eat them like buggs bunny eats a carrot . They use their back teeth to nip off bits of about 1/4 inch at a time , so there are no shards that would cut their insides , just crushed bone . Their teeth come out super clean . I’m not a raw food kind of guy & am a little freaked out about what they may catch from the deer. But hunting season in MO. is mostly cold so I don’t think it will spoil too soon . Other than the ribs , I take away any bones they bring home . I have raised Grt. Pureness dogs for about 30 years & only had problems with 1 a few months ago , that’s why I’m here. They eat a lot & I have fed them LOTS of table scraps , deer & catfish for ever & had zero problems related to food . I don’t know what killed Frosty ?? The Med. College cut him up to find out because they couldn’t save him & they wanted to know why . Bottom line , they don’t know for sure , age 2 1/2 , possible toxin . The av. age of my dogs was 12 years , the ones not hit by a truck , shot , antifreeze, or just gone & never came back ??? Bo Bear was shot in one eye by a turkey hunter & later BLIND sided by a truck ! He was not fixed & 1 rainy night just took off running & that was the last time I saw him alive . I think it’s a good Idea to get them fixed if you don’t want pups . Every single one was the BEST DOG EVER!!

#60473 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Pica, the consuming of nonfood items, is often a sign of mineral deficiency, but the most common deficient mineral is zinc.

#60484 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If he’s still eating Beneful, it’s a crappy food.

#60494 Report Abuse
    frostyrockyk

As I said , my dog story is 30 yrs long . To be Clear , in June Frosty died at 2 1/2 from possible toxin . At that time I quit ALL COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD For my other dog Rocky . Last fed was , Purina one lamb & rice . As you all know , any food less than 4 star is crap . I am happy with home cooking , I found this site looking for some canned to back it up now and then. I DON’T know that the food had any connection to his death.

#148276 Report Abuse
    Cory E

Hi there.

A great strategy you did there. Indeed nutrient deficiencies causes our pups to eat rocks. It’s all in this article here: https://goldenretrieverlove.com/why-is-my-puppy-eating-rocks-what-can-i-do-about-it/. For the next steps though I would recommend continuous monitoring as well as check ups with the vet. Hopefully, it’s all just about nutrient deficiency and nothing else.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.