🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl F

Hi everyone. I’m new to this forum, but not new to the BARF diet. Back in 2004 I was feeding all my dogs/pups this diet quite succesfully, then I became unemployed for a period of 9 months late in 2008, and had to switch back to horrific kibble. I had 4 Saint Bernards, 1 Bassett Hound and a 60lb mix breed. Needless to say, the BARF diet food bill was quite extensive back then, and i had to re prioritize in order to pay the mortgage. I have only 2 dogs left now and the BARF diet is calling me back for all of it’s wonderful benefits. There weren’t as many suppliers then as there are now, and I’m reading the posts on the pros/cons of each supplier as well as performing my own research. I live in NJ and am looking for several suppliers who are reliable, have a good quality product, don’t gouge you on price and have a good selection of RMB, meat and organs. Please tell me your experiences with the various providers so I can make an informed decision before I place my order. Thank you all so very much.

#64003 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My favorite is Hare Today and second is My Pet Carnivore. I live in FL, so shipping is what kills me. Both companies have comparable prices. MPC is a little cheaper, but I can’t always get what I want in the size I want it(probably less of a problem with big dog owners), and shipping is a little more, so it evens out. Their food always looks fresh. Hare Today has more whole carcass choices, and that’s important to me. I like to feed whole at least once a week.

#64015 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

Hi theBCnut,

Thanks for your reply. When you say you feed whole, what do you mean by that? When I fed my dogs in days past, I used to get a whole chicken, and cut it up for them. I’d never give them a WHOLE chicken in their bowl. Certainly they can rip it apart themselves, but then how do you portion it out if your dog only needs say for instance 1.2 lbs per day total, and the whole chicken or quail (whatever) weighs more. Do you hack off certain parts of the body for them, or cut it up? I used to cut up the food for them in relative bite-size chunks.

Thanks for your reply.

#64031 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When I say whole, I mean whole carcass head and all. I order grinds from Hare Today that have rabbit, fur and all, or quail, feathers and all, or I buy whole small rabbits, or other things from them. They also have whole carcass grinds that do not include fur, etc. I do cut up turkeys and feed them a different chunk every day until it’s gone, but mostly I buy grinds and other things from Hare Today. I do raise my own goats and have them butchered locally. The guy that does it, freezes the head and cuts it into chunks for me. That’s probably the grossest part.

#64068 Report Abuse
    Marta W

BCnut have heard of Raw Feeding Miami?? i havnt tried it but heard good things about it

#64069 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I haven’t heard of Raw Feeding Miami. I was on another raw feeding group that is closer to me, but I really couldn’t use their products because of my allergy dog.

#64105 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Look at Reel Raw as well.

#64159 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

Thanks InkedMarie. I have been researching Reel Raw…they look real good so far. Great reviews and prices are competitive. I’m also looking at Hare Today and maybe even Greentripe.com. Things have changed a lot in the raw dog food industry since I left it in late 08. I wish I never changed the dogs food, as I have lost all my saint bernards to various types of cancer. My last two died within the past 9 weeks – so it’s been a very rough couple of months.

#64160 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Oh gosh, Cheryl. I’m so sorry for your loss. :'(

#64196 Report Abuse
    Mark S

I’m sorry

#64446 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

Thanks much for the wishes DogFoodie and Mark S.

I placed my first order with Hare-Today over the weekend and it’s due to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to getting my 3 dogs switched over for good!

#65216 Report Abuse
    GSDMom

Can anyone tell me if the Xkaliber blend from GreenTripe is a complete raw mix? I’ve heard different opinions. Tia!

#74448 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

Those of you using Hare today what is your cost to feed per month? I have 2 older 15-18lb Schnauzers with some missing teeth that I want to feed ground raw and we have a 1 year old hound mix who weighs 70lbs that we want to feed a prey model/ ground raw combo. It seems to do this would cost me somewhere over $300 per month based on 3.50/lb many of the mixes I saw on Hare Today were more than that per pound unless I am not seeing something.

#74490 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Vincent,
    Hare is more than the Pawfectly Raw NE I talked about but they have great quality! My plans are to get the bulk of my grinds from Pawfectly but get the more exotic proteins (goat, rabbit) from Hare. I cant tell you the cost from Hare sorry, we only figured out the cost for six weeks of Pawfectly.

#74501 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

On the Hare food, our cost is about $500/month. I KNOW!!!!

We have 4 dogs currently.

1 14 yr old Bassett – 60lbs
    1 10 yr old Mix – 60lbs
    1 5 yr old Basset – 50lbs
    1 7 month Border Collie Mix – 50lbs

That price is food + delivery (we pay about $60.00 for fedex 2nd day delivery as Hare is too far away to drive to).

Average it out, we are spending about $125/dog per month. (give or take). I’d love to investigate some of these other providers I think i need to at Pawfectly RAW NE and others near me. (I’m in northern NJ right next to the border of PA/NJ)

#74504 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t know if Pawfectly goes your way but Reel Raw is free delivery for you if you get at least 30lbs

#74639 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

Pawfectly comes to two towns that are within 30 minutes of where I live so no problem there. I also found a poultry company in Cambridge, Ma, Mayflower Poultry that caters to raw feeding. I am going to call them today and see what their prices are like and how much variety they have.

#74691 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Vincent, do you like Pawfectly RAw? I have emailed them with questions regarding quality and origin of their meat and they never replied to me.
    They prices seem pretty good so i would like to try it, especially since i work in Natick and they deliver somewhere around there right?
    Would you recommend them? Have you talked to them??

#74694 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

I have not yet tried them but probably will. Try contacting through the FB page I know they have had trouble with their web page. I requested a price list and one was sent to me very quickly. I requested through a private message in Face Book.
    FYI if you live and/ or work in the Boston area I just found a Poultry supplier in Cambridge that caters to raw feeding. The name is Mayflower Poultry and they are on 621 Cambridge Street in Cambridge. I went there yesterday and picked up chicken backs, necks, feet as well as turkey necks. great way to try it out as they have smaller batches you can try but they also sell by the case. Their prices are about the same as Pawfectly. I just walked in no need to call in an order ahead of time unless your looking for specific items that they may not normally stock. They also had trachea, Tripe, Ox tails…I would have purchased more but I don’t have a freezer yet.

#74695 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Unfortunately i dont work or live near Cambridge(Mendon,Ma)
    I checkedtheir prices befre but now their website is down, do you mind sending me their price list?
    my email is azerek@gmail.com

#74719 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Marta, did you get their price list? Also, if you’re on FB you can join the Pawfectly group, same name.

#74725 Report Abuse
    Marta W

I did not and their website is down

#74726 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Nobody has mentioned Darwin’s, any reason in particular?

#74730 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi jakes mom:
    The OP is looking for suppliers of RMB’s, meat, and organs for a BARF diet.

#74737 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Marta,
    I’m going to forward you the price list. It will have Tracy’s email in the forward so you can contact her. If you’re on FB, join her group because that has the dates/places of drop offs.

#74740 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

I’m in search of another raw dog food supplier in the northeastern section of the country. Hare todays quality is very good, but the prices are quite high comparing to some others.

I started another investigation this morning looking for some suppliers where I can get actual food, not a blend, freeze dried or combo. Looking for RMB’s of chicken/duck/turkey necks, chicken paws, stuff like that.

Many of the companies that supply raw dog food that is recommended by this forum are all blended foods or freeze dried combos.

What am i missing? Why dont people want to feed their dogs actual bones instead?

#74745 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cheryl,
    Check out Reel Raw (google for the website). Shipping is free, depending on where you live and how much you buy. I’m not sure if Pawfectly Raw NE has what you’re looking for.

#74746 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

When the PawfectlyRawNE’s website comes back up, check them out. They do have what you’re looking for.

#74758 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Thanks Bdog, I’m using Darwin’s for the cats, as you know! Just wondered if there was a reason nobody liked Darwin’s but that explains it! I should have read the comments more closely.

#74760 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

😉

#74767 Report Abuse
    Marta W

InkedMarie,
    thank you for the email,
    i tried to join the group so far not accepted but i can still look at the group since its public,
    it looks like i just missed the drop off time, will have to wait a month to try it,
    do you know if there is a lb limit per order?

#74775 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You’re welcome, Marta! I *think* they drop off every 6 weeks but am not sure. I’m not sure where you live but you can drive & pick up. I don’t believe there is a minimum order.

#74776 Report Abuse
    Marta W

I live in Southerns metro west so driving to Nh wont happen and my closest location is Needham which was i believe 19th,
    the prices seem to be very reasonable i will be even able to get some extravagant lamb or duck once in a while if i figure everything right

#75050 Report Abuse
    sharon b

I am getting quite an education which is what I need. See newest post from me. Trying to find source, and seems I have, and how to switch my Newf and Husky to a raw diet and this is the first post from someone with a larger breed that I have seen. I am so sorry for your loss. All of your St. Bernard’s, but would love to know their previous feedings as I embark on this. Hard to extrapolate from people feeding schnauzer’s and such. I also am in NH and both the Cambridge and NH sources seem very possible.

#75051 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

Also consider while just starting out, the supermarket as well. I have just picked up some great chicken deals that saved me a trip to Cambridge. 99 cents a pound for Chicken Thighs, legs and drumsticks at Market Basket. They also had whole chickens for 1.09/lb. I am just starting out and sticking with chicken only for the first couple of weeks and I don’t have a freezer yet so picking up 15 or 20 lbs of Chicken while I am shopping works well for now.

#75055 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sharon,
    Where are you in NH? I’m in Gilford! If you’re wondering how much to feed your dogs, go to the Hare Today website. Click the feeding calculator & it will tell you how much to start with.
    Both Tracys (at Hare Today & Pawfectly Raw NE) have large breed dogs 7 they can help you.

#75067 Report Abuse
    Cheryl F

Hi Sharon – Thanks for your thoughts. Not a day goes by when I dont think back on my four Saints. The RAW diet could have helped them to live longer healthier lives. But embarking on a change for you to a RAW diet is the best thing you can do for your pooches. The advice you were given already on calculating amount of food is accurate. Go with 2% of their body weight (assuming they aren’t overweight now). If you want them to loose weight you need to adjust. I feed my 4 dogs (small ones now….) 3 x/day. I do this because I lost one saint to bloat and i’m not going down that road again. Since I work from home, I can do this with relative ease. Any deep chested dog is susceptible to bloat. I have a separate stand up freezer that is dedicated to my pooches so I can order in bulk. That way when it’s time to prepare their food, I take out about 20lbs at a clip, and spend about 1-2 hours chopping up, and preparing their food in large tupperware type containers. Then I freeze them and can portion out food for 5 days or so before I have to chop again. Not only does it help the dogs, but helps to build up biceps! 🙂 Added benefit. I also frequent the grocery stores for deals on chicken. I have found that I can buy chicken for sometimes $0.69/lb rather than an exorbitant $3.00/lb online at these food suppliers. Good luck with your change over.

Cheryl

#75112 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Marie,
    do you know anything about those places that the meat is coming from? Mountaire, Farmers pride???
    ALso i see they do not have meat/organ/bone type of grind what would you recommend to get to make sure my dog is getting proper proportions?
    i am trying to figure out if its better to get meat/organ grind and throw her some bones( legs etc) or id=f i shouldget like back/organ grind and add additional meat chunks?

Any ideas?
    Shes ~48lbs slightly overweight, medium activity 6 yo

#75132 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Marta,
    I assume you mean Pawfectly Raw….if yes, the meat is restaurant quality, FDA approved. The beef is from farms, retired cows, no 4D. The farms are from VT & NY.

#75136 Report Abuse
    sharon b

Thank you Cheryl and Vincent and Marie. I am on disability for neck and shoulder injury so cutting and chopping would not be good for me, but I do have and rarely have used a meat grinder on a kitchen aid mixer. Wonder if that would help?? I am a bit of an organic freak so doubt I would find chicken on specials that are hormone free? Was the chicken you found hormone free? Does anyone go to a local butcher and ask for chicken and turkey necks and various other bones they normally would be buying?? Just a thought, might also make it more affordable. I looked into Darwins, and getting into Perfectly Raw and checking also into shipping cost’s. Darwin’s I believe stated no hormones and sells grass fed meat.

#75137 Report Abuse
    sharon b

Also, I feed twice a day even though I am home, although my 8 year old husky still is used to once a day. I am aware of bloat but they recommend having that surgery done when neutering is done. He sometimes goes to doggie daycare, so the food mixing I do now and refrigeration and such we decided was too complex for three times a day. Raw food would be even harder at daycare, although they will have to deal when he is there and we are on vaca and he is on raw, hopefully by then. My boyfriend is flipping out a bit on the cost of this raw food, even though it really isn’t much more than what we have been spending, and the puppy’s food will decrease after another 4 months or so. Any suggestions how to get him aboard? I can’t even get him to eat healthy w/ vegetables, so trying to play the healthy card. Any discount on pet insurance?? that would help?

#75140 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sharon,
    I’m no positive but I don’t think your mixer would grind any bones but I could be wrong. I see people recommend a Wesson/Weston for grinding but beef bones can’t be ground in those either, I don’t think.

Hare Today, Darwins & Reel Raw have the “good” meat you mentioned. Pawfectly Raw NE is in New England, I don’t think she ships. It is restaurant quality, USDA meat. The beef is from farms in NY/VT. I’ll be honest. I want to feed raw but I am on a budget myself so I feed what I can afford.

#75392 Report Abuse
    sharon b

Inked Marie, sorry, I am in Windham NH, and Vincent, and the other Gentleman, can’t see your name, I can’t get a list of prices either. Website still being built, If you could e-mail or forward, I would greatly be appreciated @ sbmc64@yahoo.com.
    Has anyone ever had a dog get really sick, or die from salmonella or e-coli? I read a thread where a man lost his 9 $ 1/2 y/o dog. I have a weak immune system and although I will glove up, I am a little concerned. Also mentioned on a thread for advice on my raw diet, For those of you that do your own grinding, how? Do you have a special grinder? My pup is going to be 150+ pounds, so this is not going to be inexpensive, but I know it’s the best for him. just trying to find the most economical way. What about hormones in store meat, does that concern anyone, or do commercial companies avoid them, or do we not know. Darwin’s did list a grass fed price list. Sorry, so many questions from the newbie.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by sharon b.
    #75434 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sharon,
    PawfectlyRawNE.com is up & running; I placed my first order thru them last week.

I don’t grind my own, I’m too lazy and most grinders that you can buy can’t grind beef bones.

There have been more problems for salmonella in kibble. Do you or have you ever eaten meat for yourself or prepare meat for your family? Raw dog food is just meat. If you touch meat, this is no different. I feed grinds so I don’t touch it, I use a spoon.

I can’t afford all grass fed meat for us and can’t do it for the dog, not all the time. If you buy your dogs kibble, dehydrated, cannned, etc it’s not the “good stuff”. IMO you do the best you can. I feed a combo of grinds from Pawfectly (well, I will soon!), Reel Raw and Hare Today.

#75445 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Inked Marie, so u had no trouble ordering online?
    i looked at the website and it looks so far there are only mixed protein or whole products available, do u think the mixed protein is grind? No mention of bone content if at all?
    Also i have been feeding just chicken for now so i am little hesitant to introduce new protein right away, what do you think?
    Where do you get the bone for you dogs?

#75450 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

the ones under the “protein” link are grinds that contain bone. I told her that I thought she should have “bone” listed to make it easier.
    No, I had no trouble ordering. I feed the grinds with bone but I also feed duck necks (getting a case of those from Pawfectly).

how long has your dog been on chicken? My “raw guru” who helps me said to go a month on one protein (or as close to a month as you can) then try another protein. Dogs should have more red meat than poultry: beef, venison, lamb, pork (in this case, it’s not the other white meat LOL) etc.

#75451 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Mary we’ve been or raw for a month this week, so maybe she could have new protein.
    i am thinking beef or pork mixes. Also i was going to get her turkey necks separate.

DO you know if feeding that is all she needs or should i give her some supplements?
    RIght now her food has veggies mixed in but she wont have that with Pawfectly Raw.

#75455 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I personally don’t want to pay for produce in my dogs food; I can give them that separate if I want to.

I only give eggs 3x a week, salmon oil 3x a week, 1tsp diatamaceous earth 3x a week, Bug Off Garlic daily and my oldest gets some joint supplements.

#75456 Report Abuse
    Marta W

Is that bug off garlic working? is that for ticksand fleas? i am looking for sth good that is natural, ive been using cedar oil mixture spray but it works only ok

#75465 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve used BOG for years & it works well. We do get a few ticks here & there but we used to get more without using it. I also purchased flea/tick collars from HolisticFamilyandPets and no ticks since using those.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.