MDR1 dog and heartworm, flea, tick meds

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum MDR1 dog and heartworm, flea, tick meds

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Lora J

Hello all, I have 2 Aussies, one is MDR1 mutant/normal, and one is untested. One was a rescue dog and was on Sentinel aready, and doing fine with it, so I plan on keeping her on it. My other has been on Heart Gard plus and parastar, and doing fine with that. But I want to get away from the parastar topical because I feel like our family is getting the chemical residue on us, even days after application his shoulder fur is stiff from it. What do you all do for your MDR1 dogs, and what experiences have you had with meds? I would like to put him on Sentinel but I am worried about side effects. From what I have read on the Washington State Univ site, Sentienel should be safe for him (note that they recommend against Trifexis). I am just a nervous nelly and I want to get a lot of input before I change his meds from a pill+ topical to a combo product. Thank you!

#98382 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Why not have him tested? I never tested my shelties but only used Interceptor for heartworm and onky natural stuff for fleas/ticks.

#98398 Report Abuse
    Lora J

Hi! Thanks, sorry, I wasn’t clear… the one I want to switch meds for HAS been tested, he is the one that is MDR1 mutant/normal. He has just never had Sentinel before. From what I can find on the net, Sentinel SHOULD BE safe, but I am just trying to get more input. I think Interceptor is safe for him also. What natural flea treatments do you use? We live in SE Texas, in about the worst flea/parasite area in the county. Thank you for your reply!

#98400 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Interceptor and Sentinel have primarily the same ingredients. Lately the vets have been recommending Sentinel plus which has an added ingredient to target another worm/parasite that has been showing up lately.

Anyway, all my dogs have been doing well on Sentinel/Interceptor, one of my dogs was a corgi (herding breed), however she was never tested for MDR1

Natural flea/tick remedies do not work, I would ask your vet what would be best for your dog.
    I have had luck with Preventic collars they are supposed to be good for 3 months (I think 1 month is more like it) I get them at chewy dot com, they are reasonable there.
    There is a new 8 month collar (flea/tick) that has been getting positive feedback, ask your vet about it.
    K9 Advantix II topical is okay, except it gave one of my dogs a localized rash.

#98401 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Have you checked out this site: skeptvet dot com? He answers questions, sometimes.
    Anyway, nothing is being sold at that site.
    No phony baloney miracle remedies…..

#98402 Report Abuse
    Lora J

I have never heard of that site, I will look at it. Thank you!

#98404 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

“Natural flea/tick remedies do not work”. In your opinion but not mine! I’ve used Bug Off Garlic for years and added in flea/tick collars from Holistic Family and Pets last year after a tick was found in the yard, on my grandaughter. We Wondercide the yard which kills grubs too.

There are many people who swear by natural methods.

#98405 Report Abuse
    Lora J

Thank you! I am definitely interested in trying natural flea/tick control!

#98406 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Not just opinion, a scientific fact. Natural flea/tick remedies do not work.

Ps: Wondercide stinks! I’ve used it in the past and found it to be ineffective, same with the brewers yeast and garlic supplements.

Believe what you want.

#98414 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I believe what works for our dogs. That’s all the science I need.

#98415 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Lora J
    Whatever method you decide to use for a heartworm/flea/tick/Lyme preventives, I just wanted to stress the importance of testing.
    “Using a single test, your veterinarian can check for any combination of the following diseases, including all of them: heartworm disease, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis”.
    “SNAP” testing refers to a group of quick, convenient, blood tests that can be performed at your veterinarian’s office. There are various SNAP tests for different purposes:
    SNAP Heartworm RT Test—screens for heartworm infection
    SNAP 3Dx Test—simultaneously screens for heartworm disease, Lyme disease, and ehrlichiosis
    SNAP 4Dx Test—simultaneously screens for heartworm disease, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis.
    above 2 paragraphs are excerpts from: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/heartworm-disease-lyme-disease-ehrlichiosis-anaplasmosis-snap-testing-in-dogs

I once had 3 dogs test negative for Lyme in April, when one showed symptoms in September I had them retested. All 3 were positive for Lyme.
    It is important when this happens to start the antibiotic protocol ASAP
    Good luck.

#98416 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Lora J
    Whatever method you decide to use for a heartworm/flea/tick/Lyme preventives, I just wanted to stress the importance of testing.

“Using a single test, your veterinarian can check for any combination of the following diseases, including all of them: heartworm disease, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis”.
    “SNAP” testing refers to a group of quick, convenient, blood tests that can be performed at your veterinarian’s office. There are various SNAP tests for different purposes:
    SNAP 3Dx Test—simultaneously screens for heartworm disease, Lyme disease, and ehrlichiosis
    SNAP 4Dx Test—simultaneously screens for heartworm disease, Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis.
    above 2 paragraphs are excerpts from: http://www.vetstreet.com/care/heartworm-disease-lyme-disease-ehrlichiosis-anaplasmosis-snap-testing-in-dogs

I once had 3 dogs test negative for Lyme in April, when one showed symptoms in September I had them retested. All 3 were positive for Lyme.
    Good luck.

#98417 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Lora J
    Whatever method you decide to use for a heartworm/flea/tick/Lyme preventives, I just wanted to stress the importance of routine testing.

Good luck.

#98457 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

The only MDR1 dog we ever had was mutant/normal and he never got any form of conventional flea control. The MDR-1 gene seemed to exceed the norm, many “regular” medications made him act off so we opted to test several times a year for HW and (thankfully) he was always negative.
    As far as garlic, etc. goes, we’ve had excellent results with this.
    Last year we used nothing. No EO’s, no garlic, no lawn sprays or anything and didn’t have a flea problem. We’d find the occasional dead flea in the water bowl but the dogs never had fleas or flea dirt, the bathwater was always 100% flea-free, and the cats got flea combed as a precaution with no issues. Maybe we were just lucky.
    We’ve had some nasty experiences with topicals in the past, when we would use them, but a few of our breeds over the years have seemed to have extra sensitivies to chemicals, which was enough to convince me that there has to be another way.

#98458 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Also–we’ve used Bug Off Garlic for our horses, and the fly problem was drastically reduced. The fly spray works for about 5 minutes, B.O.G seemed to work 24 hours a day which resulted in much happier horses. Happy horses are much more relaxed, and relaxed horses are much easier to work.

#98461 Report Abuse
    Lora J

Thank you all for the continued replies with ideas! I have contacted Washington State University about flea control and they said the only topical that has been tested for use on MDR1 dogs is Bravecto. I am going to stop the Parastar topical, and find another method, and I will be trying these natural ideas. Our local Aussie Rescue recommends Sentinel flavortabs for heartworm control in Aussies, so I will probably switch him to that when his Heartgard is gone. I understand from WSU that any heartworm pills on the market are tested and approved for MDR1 dogs, except those with spinosad, which would be Trifexis. Thank you again, and I will keep watching this thread for more information!

#98463 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Lora-

We use Bravecto for my seizure predisposed pitbull. Have always had great success with it. I have to be very careful which type of prevention I give him, what kind of anesthetic he gets etc. I definitely would recommend Bravecto.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.