Low sodium dry dog food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Low sodium dry dog food

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sue C

I saw a few older posts on this, but just signed on as a member. Our cavalier had congestive heart failure a few weeks ago. He is 9, is on 4 meds/day and is doing very well. A salesperson at Petsmart gave me a printout of the Tufts Vet School dog foods. Hills has almost half the sodium as Royal Canin, what we’ve been using. I did switch, but also worry about too high protein content. As a puppy, we fed Spencer Blue and had to take him off it because he developed crystals in his urine. Any experience or advice on this one? Don’t want to create any more issues. Also have a 1 1/2 yr. old Cav puppy and thought to switch her also to low-sodium kibble. Thanks!

#83239 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Sue C-
    Glad to hear your pup is doing better. Did you trying typing “low sodium” in the search bar in the upper left under your sign in? There are a lot of posts on the forum on this subject.

As far as the crystals in the urine go, making sure your dog gets as much moisture/water in the diet as possible is really important. I always add a little water and some canned food to my dogs’ meals. For my cat who also has had issues with crystals, I mostly feed canned food to him and still add water to it.

Plenty of bathroom breaks are also important to keep the urine from getting stagnant.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.