Low phosphorus, low salt food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Low phosphorus, low salt food

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ezra G

Hi guys,

My dog has been on Orijen Six Fish and has been pretty happy with it (although starting him on it did coincide with his becoming interested in stealing and eating human food for the first time).

Anyway, he’s a large dog and he’s about to turn 10 years old. His vet recommended switching him over to a dog food with low phosphorus and salt. I know Orijen has a senior formulation, but it has the same amount of phosphorus as the Six Fish and regular Adult food they make (1.1%). I’m also a bit sketched out by reports that Orijen’s switch to a Kentucky plant has caused problems for some people.

Are there any 5* dry dog foods that you all have used or know about that I should be considering?

Thanks!

#93679 Report Abuse
    Ezra G

oops; if it wasn’t obvious, 5* dry dog foods with low phosphorus and low salt. Thanks!

#93681 Report Abuse
    Christi B

We left Acana because of the Kentucky switch. Our first switch was did not go well and we’re currently trying Open Farm Whitefish. I paid for a report from a dog food advocate and it was one of the foods on her researched list. So far my dogs are happy on it but I’ll have to look at specific needs on the label. I made sure the fish was not denatured and they confirmed that for me in writing.

#93683 Report Abuse
    Ezra G

the phosphorus level in the Open Farm Whitefish looks pretty good. I couldn’t find sodium content info on their site, did your report happen to include that? (Also, if the report included phosphorus content, I would like to know that too, to see how it matches what they report on the site).

#93684 Report Abuse
    Jane E

Here are some great foods…you do the homework to see if it meets your dietary needs however…Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient,Nutrisca,Horizon,Lotus,Zignature.

#93685 Report Abuse
    Christi B

I went and looked and sodium content is not on the label but you could call or email Open Farm and they have responded to all of my questions.

#93689 Report Abuse
    Jason I

Zignature has had complaints of high sodium, or very thirsty dogs.

#93739 Report Abuse
    elaine c

the best dog food I know, in a category by itself, and what I feed my two pits is Answers Pet food. It is raw and fermented. Dry dog food is only going to be so good because it is processed. So all the goodness is cooked out of it… then they put in synthetic vitamins and research has shown that long term this is not good for the dogs.. Check it out on dogfood advisor.com. Good luck.

#93741 Report Abuse
    Ezra G

thanks everyone, for the input so far. I am (no pun intended) digesting everything and doing some research.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.