Low odor dry food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Low odor dry food

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lisa R

I have been feeding my 2-3 year old 13 pound dog Orijen dry food, but I find the strong smell very unpleasant. She is quite picky, I tried Taste of The Wild which my previous dog loved and she doesn’t eat it. I have had her about 5 months and am still trying to figure out her likes. She loves Weruva wet but the price is an issue.
    Thanks.

#51449 Report Abuse

LOl. I love when a dog food smells fresh. I figure if it doesn’t have a meaty smell, its probably over processed or stale.

#51450 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Does your dog like Orijen?

#51478 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

This is just me but I’d feed my dog what he likes & eats, not what smells okay to me. I gag feeding tripe but it’s not about me, it’s the dogs.

#51499 Report Abuse
    Lisa R

She only eats the Orijen mixed with wet or freeze dried. It doesn’t smell “meaty” to me, it smells like old fish. I was hoping someone would suggest another dry to which they have had good reactions. My last dog lived to almost 19 on Taste of the Wild so I think other brands must be of equal quality to Orijen. I was hoping for suggestions rather than judgments. Thanks.

#51501 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Are you only looking for dry food? Have you consider feeding just canned or freeze dried?

#51504 Report Abuse
    Lisa R

I would like to mix wet with dry. She liked Weruva but I can’t afford that alone. She had a stomach problem one day and after several days of chicken and rice, she started rejecting dog food. Weruva was the first I found that she ate.

#51983 Report Abuse
    Lisa R

Thanks for the input. She started rejecting the Weruva. I tried FreshPet log today and she ate it enthusiastically. I am wondering whether picky eating can be related to a change of environment. She had been alone with me for the first several months I’ve had her. About 6 weeks ago, I had to travel with her to my elderly parents’ home. Could that change her eating habits? It has caused some behavioral changes.

#52622 Report Abuse
    Lynn J

Are you feeding the Orijen fish formula, or one of the others? I might suggest trying another formula if your dog is doing well on Orijen in general. Also, even a premium food like Orijen can go stale (the fats get rancid) if not stored properly or if the contents of the bag get too old. The general advice seems to be to use up the bag within 6 weeks. Just a thought.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.