šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jgr789

My dog has gastro issues (Chronic Pancreatitis/ possible EPI) as well as diabetes and I’ve been trying to find a dry food that she will eat for longer than a few days. We’ve tried Annamaet Lean and that worked for about a week, then California Natural, Fromm Gold and Natural Balance among others. In the past she’s eaten the Wilderness foods, Wellness Core Reduced Fat, Nutrisca, Nutrisource, Taste of the Wild, Earthborne, Rachael Ray Grain Free and Royal Canin LF. She liked the Merrick Classic Chicken, Brown Rice and Pea but it gave her terrible diarrhea, so I think I should stick to Grain free as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#38733 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    Do you mean that your dog gets tired of the food after a few days, or it makes her sick after a few days? If she just is getting tired of it, couldn’t you buy two or three small bags and have them all opened and just switch every couple of days? Feed her the Annament for a few days, then switch to the California Natural, then Fromm, then back to Annament and so on and son on? I’m not sure if you are looking for a new food that helps with her issues, or a food that she will like for more than a couple of days. It sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck.

#38734 Report Abuse
    jgr789

What happens is when I find a food that she will eat, she will eat it for a few days and then won’t touch it again. I don’t think she’s just being picky, she seems genuinely uncomfortable and without an appetite for the food after she’s eaten it for awhile. Even the Vet said she’s tried to think of what would make a dog go off their food every 5 – 7 days, but can’t really come up with any real answers. To answer your question I am looking for a new food that both helps with her issues AND that she will like for more than a few days. Tall order I know which is why I’ve resorted to asking the masses…

#38738 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I have never dealt with that issue as my current and past dogs will eat anything at anytime! I hesitate to make any suggestions due to your pup’s health conditions. I’m not sure if you have checked this out, but on the review side of this site, there is a list of excellent low fat foods. Just click on best dog foods and it will bring up different categories of foods, including low fat. It is my understanding that with diabetes, that kibble is not the best form of food to feed. Canned, dehydrated, cooked or raw is best. I hope someone that can help will jump in. But, I’m not sure that anyone can predict which food your dog will like and for how long. LOL! I feed my dogs with digestive issues Victor grain free mixed with canned, eggs, or sardines or fresh pet select. I also give a digestive and probiotic supplements. I hope you find something that makes your pup better. Good luck!

#38754 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

You can also check out Annamaet Lean and Honest Kitchen Zeal. Also, Orijen Senior. I had to throw that in there even though it has a higher fat percentage just because I love Orijen.

#38755 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Sorry I didnt see that you already tried the Annamaet Lean. Look into Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance Chicken.

#38774 Report Abuse
    llynns

My dog has also had Pancreatitis. At the same time as the pancreatitis, he spent several days in the ER with Gastroenteritis. We fed him a bland diet for 3-4 weeks. In addition to the Pancreatitis issues, he is also allergic to white potatoes. I slowly (very slowly) transitioned him over to Horizon Legacy Grain Free, Salmon. In addition to the food change I started him on digestive enzymes. He’s currently on Wholistic Pet Canine Complete. I think the combination of the food change and the supplement addition is what really worked. I don’t know that just changing the food would have given me the same results as also adding the enzymes and probiotics. I could not advise on the diabetes….I have no experience with that. Good luck on your search.

#38832 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

My boy has Chronic Pancreatitis & IBD & Allergies, Ive been doing alot of reading about Pancreatitis. Ive read that kibble isnt good as the Pancreas has to work harder digesting kibble putting more strain on the Pancreas, have you thought of cooking.. I’ve been boiling chicken breast & pumkin & an egg, I freeze the chicken breast in meals sizes & I freeze the little bits of pumkin, I take out the night before & put in the fridge for breakfast, I boil a egg every second day cause I only give him half boiled egg at breakfast, I shread the chicken & mash the pumkin & mash the egg all together so its all mushed up, easier to digest, also make sure any vegetables or grains are well cooked to make them easier to digest. I then warm in micro wave.. At night I give his kibble only..this has helped the chicken pumkin & egg his pain has gone that he was having under his right rib cage, he’s not coming over to me no more for me to rub his side like when I just had him on kibble.. I’d say that she’s having pain then not wanting to eat. maybe try a low fat can food if u don’t want to cook but I havent found a can food that is low enough in fat, thats why I cook..Ive read that Diabetes & pancreatitis are closely linked, Dogs with Diabetes are often prone to Pancreatitis & vice versa..here’s some Low-Glycemic vegetables you can cook with chicken breast or lean low fat ground beef broccoli or cauliflower, cabbage, summer squashes zucchini, dark leafy greens mustard greens & spinach.. I mite try adding some zucchini, I dont know about spinach I always was told if ur constipated eat spinach…Im reading a book called “Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs” by Lew Olson PhD.. it has easy recipes for Pancreatits, diabetes, bladder, liver, heart, cancer etc, she explains what not to feed when ill..also what vitamins to add, excellent read.. the book cost about $11 online..

#38856 Report Abuse
    jgr789

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually just ordered the Lew Olson book. I tried home cooking once before but the same thing happened, she ate for a few days then refused…

I’ll look into this further as well as any other kibbles that are suggested.

Thanks!

Judy

#39067 Report Abuse
    jgr789

Horizon Legacy Grain Free, Salmon – Min fat listed is 15%
    I need something less than 12% Fat

Grandma Lucy’s has the right amount of fat (9%) but too much fiber. Needs to be < 4% Fiber and this has 6.5% I was also wondering how mushy the food was after it gets mixed.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I need < 12% Fat and < 4% Fiber

#39176 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

‘Holistic Select’ Senior Health Chicken & Rice, Fat-10% fiber-3.50%, when I looked at the Guarenteed Analysis the only thing was the Gluosamine was higher then the other flavours but the fiber was good only 3.50% & the fat is nice & low for Pancreatitis my vet said he likes dogs with Pacreatitis to be under 9% fat I cant find a kibble that low only the vet prescription diets..I want to try this one next

#39945 Report Abuse
    jgr789

I bought the Holistic Select Senior and Canine Caviar Special Needs because both fit the Fat/Fiber requirement even though the Canine Caviar is rated only a two star. Not exactly sure why?

I’ve tried the Canine Caviar and at least she’ll eat it so that’s half the battle. I’m tempted to do the rotation thing and try the Holistic Select as the second food. Just nervous about how and when to introduce the new food as she is so picky I’m afraid she won’t like it and might refuse to go back.

Any suggestions?

#39961 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi again, What I do when I buy a new kibble, Patch cames to the pet shop with me (we can have dogs in Pet Barn as the shop is for them) & I show him the new kibble when we get home, then I start the new kibble as treats & give it to Patch only as a treat for a couple of days, then I mix a very little thru with his old kibble to get his tummy & bowel use to it, I only start adding under 1/4 of a cup for 1 week then if his poos look Ok & he doesnt seem to have any pain the next week I start adding more just under 1/2 a cup with his old kibble I start to know by now if he’ll get his pain from a kibble..In Lew Olson book she has a section about Picky dogs & what not to do..I also show Patch the 2 different kibbles & let him smell them both in the palm of my hands & I ask, “which one do u want to eat” & he’ll pick which hand he wants to eat, its always the newer kibble he picks cause Ive been giving it to him as a treat so he much think its special..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.