Let's talk fleas

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Let's talk fleas

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

Saturday, we dropped off all three dogs at the groomers. Six hours of freedom!!!…..til they called, asking if we knew they had fleas. You could’ve knocked me over with a feather. We had no idea. The groomer said this fall has been bad for fleas up here. They all hot a flea bath.

So much for our day being dog free. We drove the hour plus home, washed all the bedding, blankets etc. No carpets, thankfully but we vacuumed the entire house, sprayed with an all natural spray, dusted the beds & crates with DE, dusted the kennel with it, too. I’m giving the dogs DE in their food as well.

I’ve used Bug Off Garlic for years, the only time we had fleas were just a few on Ginger after a pet expo a few years ago. I don’t want to use topicals so what else should I be doing beside the BOG & DE?

#59744 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can put powder on their body/bedding:

http://neemtreefarms.com/dry-dog-shampoo-p-91.html

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-All-in-One-Flea-Remedy/999013.aspx

Or use essential oil/neem sprays like Halo or similar or spot-ons like Sentry Natural Defense.

#59745 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

DE in the food won’t do anything for the fleas, but you could dust the dogs with it, just be careful of getting it in eyes and nose. Usually, dogs get dog or cat fleas, and these live primarily on the dog, so bathing weekly to kill the fleas on the dog until the problem is resolved is one of the best things to do. That and step up vacuuming. Get a flea collar or flea powder and chop it to pieces and vacuum it up so that any fleas that are vaccuumed die instead of finding their way out.

#59748 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks Sandy. I’m in NH; do I need to use something all winter?

BC: no bathing going on here; can’t do it in the tub & they’re too big for the sink. Do you have any other collars or powder to recommend beside what Sandy linked?

#59750 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I like Sandy’s choices for on the dogs. The collars and powders I put in the vac bag are the ones I wouldn’t use on the dogs, ones with real insectide in them. I want those sucker dead in the bag, and I don’t have to worry about that stuff getting on the dog.

#59757 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Has anybody ever used Capstar? Kills fleas for just 24 hours. Could maybe use for a couple of days until the DE has time to do it’s thing?

#59765 Report Abuse
    Judy M

Wondercide Evolve spray for flea prevention was recommended to me by holistic vet
    go to Wondercide.com ther are some discount coupons available to use on their site, that I think may not yet be over, but I will need to search my email to find one. will look for it if anyone needs…

#59767 Report Abuse
    Judy M

all the f[rodducts at Wondercide have neem oil They also have a great bathing bar soap for flea prevention called “Repel” holding a bar of soap to bathe is easier than having to squeeze a bottle when u need 2 hands for bathing. ‘They have a whole line of flea prevention products t that all include neem oil they are quality products recommended (I even list them for sale on my own poet supply website and have them dropshipped, and use them myself, but having to spray repeatedly periodically isnt as easy as giving a Capostar pill or other like Comfortis,m but I won;t give comfortis anymore, now that the holistic vet told me that spinosad (however it is spelled) is toxic, so don’t want to harm my pet, but she chews herself to death in summer if she getsfleas, so I have to be sure and prevent them ans her sensitive pick skin gets all raw with hot spots once she gets a flea and starts chewing at the bite, so its hard to balance. Where to you get the Bug Of Garlic? is there a way to makeit with health food store garlic, I do think the holistic vet said something about garlic being potentially toxic (probably if wrong dose)?? hate those darn fleasl no easy solution…thankfully now that it is cooler, they seem to not be a problem at the moment, and Im in So CAl

#59768 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi Judy M,

I think only the soap has neem in it. Most of Wondercide’s products are 10% Cedarwood oil and 90% Hydrated silica.

#59771 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Thanks for the info Judy! I get the Bug Off Garlic from SpringtimeInc.com.

#59788 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Has anyone used Flea Away: http://www.chewy.com/dog/flea-away-natural-flea-tick-mosquito/dp/105329 or any other oral preventative? Do they hurt the dog? Do they work? Thanks!

#59791 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Dog Obsessed. Which HW do you use monthly? As we were just discussing on the other forum, I use Sentinel monthly for HW and it has the added benefit of also being a flea preventative. Check to see if your HW meds is also a flea preventative. None of my dogs have ever had fleas. Uh Oh! I hope I haven’t jinxed myself. Nah. Living in the South and having lived on Cape Cod (both flea and tick central) that’s saying a lot.

#59797 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I use Heart guard. I will looking into Sentinel.

#59950 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I went to the Wondercide’s site and found they offer trial sizes of their products. I am going to order the flea spray, skin tonic, citronella soap, and neem soap trial sizes to try out. I checked them out earlier in the summer, but didn’t want to order a big bottle of the flea spray and kind of forgot about it. I’ll be able to try out the soaps and skin tonic right away. This will be a good way to see if my zoo will like the Wondercide if I ever need to use it.

#65718 Report Abuse
    JetJacqui

In my case, the best way to get rid of fleas is the combination of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast. the daily dosage of apple cider vinegar is 1 tablespoon for 60 lbs body weight in drinking water. too much apple cider vinegar (2 tblspoon / 60 lbs) will cause diarrhea; Springtime fresh factor contains nutritional yeast. The dosage is 2 tablet for 60 lbs.

I’ve tried springtime bug off garlic tablet and powder on my yorkie, chihuahua and collie. the garlic tablet is better than the powder because it contains nutritional yeast. i don’t use bug off garlic anymore because their gums and inner ears turned pale after few months. After 1 month without bug off garlic, their gums and inner ear turned back to healthy pink/reddish color.

I’ve tried wondercide repel with citronella and geranium. it didn’t help at all. I bathe my dogs once a month and they’re free from ticks and fleas.

#65719 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

For the past few weeks, I have been using a combination of Sentinel (monthly) and Mercola Natural Defense (twice a week) to prevent fleas. I don’t want to jinx things, but it’s going pretty well. 😀

#65745 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

We never have fleas too bad in January/February. We have them all year round, just in much smaller numbers over the “winter.”

#65915 Report Abuse
    roger m

I have used Frontline and it’s generic version seems ok.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.