Large/Giant Breed Audlt Food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Large/Giant Breed Audlt Food

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer H

Ok, so I have Saint Bernards and have raised and loved this breed for many many years. I am well aware of the recommended kcal/calcium and phosphorus recommendations for Large/Giant breed puppies but am wondering if there are any studies, reports or a general consensus on food for Large/Giant breed ADULT dogs? I know what the AAFCO requirements are but these have A LOT of wiggle room and just wonder if folks with large/giant breed dogs are looking for anything in particular when deciding on what food is best for the gentle giants.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Jennifer H.
    #88338 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi again Jennifer-

As far as I know, there are no actual studies or research on a nutrient profile specificially for large and giant breed adult dogs. Each company kind of just decides what a large and giant breed adult formula should look like. Most of the time what that formulation looks is lower protein, lower fat and lower calories to try to keep weight off them. For the most part I can agree with that formulation, though personally because I have unaltered dogs I find I can feed them higher calorie, higher fat foods (but just feed them for a less active dog) and they don’t gain weight.

Dr. Rebecca Remillard ACVN recommends switching a large/giant breed puppy to a weight management or “light” formula once they hit maturity to keep weight off them, but I personally don’t feel a weight loss formula is needed to keep them lean, though I’m sure some may benefit from it for various reasons.

#88339 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

Thank you pitluv. I think you and I are pretty much in sync on this topic. I have many intact Saints as well as not intact saints and they can all eat the higher calorie and fat foods. In fact my 2 older Saints (almost 10) are doing fine without any real adjustment to their diet. The only one I have had to adjust my regular diet for is a 8-year-old spayed girl who started gaining weight and I adjusted her portion down a small bit and she is doing good with her weight now.
    I just was wondering if there are any different ideas or beliefs that I may have missed. My guys all eat a RAW diet designed and tested to meet the needs of large/giant breed dogs. It is my own formula (with vet, nutritionist and other breeder input) and I just thought I would see if maybe there was anything else I should be considering in my formula that I might have missed. Anyway, thanks for your input and information.

#88340 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Oh yes I remember! And here I am talking to you about kibble haha. Sounds like you most likely have the best information you could have given all the different people you have consulted. Sounds like your pups are doing really well with their diet. Thats great that your 8 year old responded so well to a small change in portion! Keep up the great work with your babies!

#88618 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Carol-

If you are one of our customers, I’d be happy to have you come in, introduce yourself and talk about which food would work the best for your large breed puppy. We carry a good variety of quality foods.

#91083 Report Abuse
    SHERRI O

Would I be able to get the recipe that you are using for your giant breed dogs? We have our first mastiff ever, and I would like to feed him raw food, like we do for our Maine Coon cats! We have a recipe for the cats, using raw meat, vitamins, minerals, etc that is what our breeder used. We freeze it in plastic bowls, the same way you do, it sounds like. But the mastiff pups breeder just used dry food, and I CANNOT find a real recipe anywhere for the giant breed of mastiffs! St Bernards are pretty close in size, and in the same family, so I imagine the needs would be the same. Thank you so much for any direction in this search!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.