🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    turtlemom
    Participant

I have a couple Great Danes. I am always researching food and comparing dry kibble labels. They were on Blue Buffalo but my local store went up on the price to 65 bucks a bag I had to re evaluate my budget for dog food. I went to a crap food and they are eating twice as much so the search is on for a good food again. I loved Blue Buffalo but is there a better dry food out there????

I’d love a high calorie food so they don’t have to eat as much (less poo)
    I’d love glucosamine and Chondroitin and Omega’s

What is a great dog food for Danes? I’d love to eventually do a raw natural diet….. but that is for another research day 🙂

Oh and sorry if this is already answered … I tried to search but only found large breed puppy info.

Thanks !

#15690 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi turtlemom –

Large breed dogs don’t need anything different than any other sized dog once they’re adults. In fact, most “large breed” specific foods are reduced protein and fat and contain less meat than the non-large breed foods – not a good thing! Just look for a quality budget friendly food. Some budget friendly grain-free foods: Earthborn, Victor, NutriSource, Dr. Tim’s. Some budget friendly grain-inclusive formulas: Victor, Native Performance, Healthwise, Pro Pac, Eagle Pack, Whole Earth Farms, NutriSource, Dr. Tim’s. All of these foods are rated at least 4 stars. Native Performance, Dr. Tim’s, Pro Pac, Victor (Hi-Pro formulas) and NutriSource (performance formulas) are pretty calorie-dense. Also keep in mind bag size and calorie content when comparing. Some performance formulas have around 600 kcal. per cup and are much cheaper to feed than most foods even if the cost per pound is similar.

#15693 Report Abuse
    turtlemom
    Participant

Thank you so much for the information. My thoughts were good ingredients but high calorie count for less feed (= less poo). If any dog needs to poo less… it would be a dane!!

I’ll keep comparing … I just wanted to hear it from someone with more knowledge than I that I’m not missing anything about “large breeds” and nutrition.

Thanks again 🙂

#19213 Report Abuse
    supercoop

Marty keep in mind that diet should also be based on caloric needs. I have an eight yr. old 145 lb.
    Anatolian Shep. who at this point in his life thinks rolling over is a lotta effort as compared to a 11
    month old rare breed Tornjak that likes to run anywhere from a mile or two once or twice a day.
    I feed the lazy old big guy a lot differently than my baby girl. Oh, oh yeah….the old guy eats alot less
    than she does and I vary their diets brand wise alot. Ie : tonite he’s getting fed Horizon Pulsar with
    Assorted fresh veggies and she’s getting fed human grade canned sardines, vitamin supplements fresh
    veggies and venison tripe. Maybe tomorrow we’ll do Wellness Grain Free mixed with some Orijen and
    Jasmine Rice. They’re stools are consistently the way they should be and both of them are in great health. Like people they need dietary diversity and with so much great stuff out there to choose from
    along with free delivery, you can’t do wrong

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.