šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer C

Would like some advice for help on treatment for chronic yeast / bacteria skin condition for our black lab. We adopted her from animal control as was a stray. She had severe seborrhea (?) – very itchy skin with a lot of flaking and also greasy looking fur. The flaking has certainly cleared up some, but she continues to have itchy skin and gets sores. We do give her baths with vet recommended dog shampoo for treatment of yeast/bacteria and she is better, but am wondering if there is a food that may help with this as well. We currently give her Purina One Lamb/Rice. Would a grain free food help? Any other recommendations? Budget is certainly a concern.

#52657 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jennifer, a grain free would be better then Purina One but I found alot of grain free kibbles have potatos & you need a low carb diet, yeast loves carbs, I few people I know feed the “Holistic Select” Anchovy, Sardines & Salmon meal, for their dogs with bad skin problems & they say its excellent the vet diets never helped their dogs, the Holistic Select also has 2 grain free kibbles Deboned Turkey & Lentils has no potatos & their Salmon Anchovy & Sardine grain free…or you can do an elimination diet to see what foods make him itch, but an elimation diet takes time…Wellness has their Simple limited ingredients range, that way he’s having limited ingredients, less ingredients to make him itch, also sardines in spring water are excellent for itchy skin, I give a couple sardines as a treat…I’m using the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal as my boy cant have potatos or sweet potatos, he’ll break out in a rash all over his stomach & chest, then his ear starts to itch, then his paws go all red & itchy, its awful.. I wouldnt believe it if I didnt see how a little bit of potato can do all this, I found this out buy doing an elimination diet…maybe try raw thats the best for skin problems, cooking or raw works out cheaper then kibbles, ..

#52661 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Jennifer,

The yeast (Malassezia) infection is secondary to the seborrhea. The seborrhea could be the result of a medical issue (like thyroid) or allergies, either environmental (flea bite dermatitis) or food related. If it were thyroid related, you might see issues related to weight loss or gain, as well.

First, I’d like to ask some questions: about how old do you think she is; how long have you had her; did she have the condition when you adopted her; has it ever improved or gotten worse (do you know what caused the change); how long has she been eating the Purina and has she ever eaten anything else? How are her stools?

Without knowing the answers to those questions, my first thought is that changing foods is such an easy way to see if that’s the culprit, that it’s worth trying.

I would choose a simple grain free food that contains a single animal protein. I would choose a protein that your dog hasn’t eaten. She’s been eating lamb, so maybe try something like duck or rabbit. Look for a food that that doesn’t contain other high histamine ingredients like tomato. I would avoid fish oils, in the event that fish is a problem as fish oil, in theory shouldn’t contain protein, but it isn’t a guarantee; same goes for chicken fat. Chicken is a common problem ingredient, so I might avoid all fowl for right now. Look for something that contains none of the ingredients she’s getting now.

I’d recommend Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet in either duck or rabbit. Some other good limited ingredient foods are Zignature, Back to Basics, Wellness and Earthborn Holistics. I’m not a huge fan of Natural Balance or California Natural, but both are affordable.

Figuring out food allergies or intolerance, is very time consuming and can be very frustrating. Keep notes on what you’re feeding and how she reacts to it and be patient, give the new food time to work. A true elimination diet is a lot of work and can be very challenging to do. Feeding a limited ingredient food is easier and keep in mind that treats can be problematic as well.

#52673 Report Abuse
    Jennifer C

. Thank you for the posts! We’ve had her for about two years. She is about 4-7 but that is certainly a guess. So hard to believe she was a stray as she is WONDERFUL. She had worms-giardia-severe skin issues when we adopted her. She was a black lab with white flakes all over. She has an incredible appetite. She is very low key but super sweet. Her stools are formed goes twice a day. Eats AM & PM. Dry skin is better but itching and her ‘event’s are not much better. She alsogets chronic eye infections with lots of discharge / crust. Vet has suggested possibly allergies. Thyriid normal. Has had bouts of UTI x 3. Has always been on Purina one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.