šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kim L

Very long story short, my vet recently noticed a really slight heart murmur in my 17-pound Shih Tzu Lhasa mix. She suggested Krill oil (as opposed to standard fish oil) to help with his heart and his flaky skin.

I currently have him on Horizon Pulsar Fish Formula (very low glycemic as he has issues with yeast). However, as it is a fish formula, I would not want to give him too much fish oil. This is what Dog Food Advisor says about the fish oil already in the food: “The sixth ingredient is salmon oil. Salmon oil is naturally rich in the prized EPA and DHA type of omega-3 fatty acids. These two high quality fats boast the highest bio-availability to dogs and humans.” I have been looking into Dr. Mercola’s krill oil, and it says to give about one pump per 10 pounds. Does that seem excessive with fish-based food, or no?

This may be a silly question, but I just do not want to give him too much if the food already contains some, and also want to be sure that Krill oil is, in fact, better than an omega-3 fish oil supplement. Thanks!

#47027 Report Abuse

Kim-As your vet to tell you how much DHA and EFA your dog needs per day. I have two that see the cardiologist every 3-6 mths and he was very specific on the amounts that they should receive per day. I give it everyday, unless they are getting fresh tinned sardines on a given day. When I rotate in a fish based food, I give half.

#54612 Report Abuse
    anna r

Our vet recommended Krill Doctor Professional for my York Shire Terrier’s heart & joint. Past 2 years she have been using it and it works great.

#54615 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The regular dose is supposed to be 100 mg combined of DHA and EPA per 10 lbs of body weight. Dogs with particular issues may have this dosage changed for therapeutic reasons.

#54616 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The mercola pump bottle is quite convenient and quicker than poking and squeezing capsules when I’m getting several bowls of food ready at once. Some of the small dogs will chew and spit out a capsule. Another thing to think about is the overall ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. There is an ideal range and dog foods don’t have a requirement for omega 3 so a lot of foods don’t have enough omega 3 nor do they have a good ratio of both. I think the better food brands like Horizon will have a good amount of omega 3. Check the bag and let us know what it says for omegas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.