šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ysabella J

Hello all!

I have followed this forum for some time now but this is my first official post! Yay! Okay, so I am trying to do some research on Joint Supplements and Omega 3 fatty acids to give my 2 year old Golden Retriever (almost 3 on May 25th). We have her on a wonderful diet that consists of Orijen kibble and Merrick canned food for breakfast, a raw meaty marrow bone or a stuffed kong for a snack and a raw Stella & Chewy’s patty for dinner. Her diet does wonders for her health and we learned much about it from this website. As she gets older, I would like to put her on joint supplement. I notice from time to time her joints will pop when she gets up or stretches. We do live in an area that has all 4 seasons and in the winters it gets well below zero. Now that it is springtime we really enjoy taking her out for very long, extensive hikes. She loves to run and swim during our hikes and I would like to have her on some type of anti-inflammatory (omega-3’s?) and a joint supplement. Now I have been doing a ton of research but that just creates a million questions:

First and foremost – Should we give her joint supplements/anti-inflammatories year round? Or do we only give them on days when she will be more active than normal?

Secondly – Which joint/anti-inflammatory would you recommend? I have done research and am seriously considering the Wholistic Pet Organics product line. Has anyone used this and would they recommend it? http://www.thewholisticpet.com/products/canine-product-line/joint-support.html/ Also, does anyone give their pet krill oil vs. salmon oil for omega 3’s?

Thirdly – I am a big fan of holistic medicine and don’t usually like big brand dog medication distributors. Is there anything we can do for her joints, besides swimming and keeping her lean, that will help without any supplement?

And last but not least – if you do recommend a supplement and it’s human grade, what dosage would I give my 65 pound girl?

Thanks so much in advance for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Ysabella J.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 12 months ago by Ysabella J.
    #39521 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

There are several products that I think are good. I also like Wholistic Pet Organics products. I love their salmon oil and their digest all plus. I have used basicly all of their products over the years at one time or another. I also love Springtime, Inc.’s products. I love their joint health chews. It also comes in a powder. I used their chews for my Shih-Poo, Desi, when he was living. He had both rear luxating patellas that were a high grade. The vet I had at the time, since switched to a holistic vet, always remarked that he was close to needing surgery but keep doing what I was doing. He never had surgery in all his 8 years of life. I did kind of restrict his activity, though not much. He passed with another health problem. Anyway, those are the two I’ve used the most. Oh, I almost forgot about Missing Link Joint. I’ve used that and like it pretty well, too. Hope this helps.

#39579 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I like to use different products. Right now I’m using Springtime supplements but I have Actiflex 4000 (horse version) and cetyl myristoleate and krill oil to use in rotation. You can give supplements all year that maintain joint health. For increased activity, you can also give the supplements that have an increased amount of anti-inflammatories/herbals that also help relieve pain/discomfort. Since she already eats some raw food, you can let her have a chicken foot or some raw trachea a couple times a week for the cartilage to maintain joint health.

This Actiflex 4000 dosing came from a raw feeding group: 50-75 pounds: 1 Ā½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days, Ā¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.