Is powdered garlic OK for dogs ?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Is powdered garlic OK for dogs ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter H

Switching treats from Puperoni to Zuke’s…..which has garlic powder listed as the 4th ingredient listed. Vet says “not to worry”…..Fritz at Zukes says “OK”.

Raw garlic is probably a no-no……what about powdered garlic ?

Thanks

#99283 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Raw garlic, in moderation, is actually fine. You’d have to use heads of garlic for toxicity. I’ve been using Bug off Garlic for years.

#99290 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“Raw garlic is probably a no-no……what about powdered garlic ?”

It depends on who you ask.
    Homeopathic veterinary folks will tell you garlic is okay and even beneficial.
    Science based veterinary medicine says garlic is toxic to dogs and to be avoided (big time).

#99291 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Regarding the treats mentioned, I don’t see the sodium content?
    Whenever you see “powder” such as garlic powder, celery powder etc…..I question the amount of salt mixed in.
    At least I do with stuff I buy for my own consumption. I stopped buying chili powder for my vegetarian chili for that reason.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by anonymous.
    #99302 Report Abuse
    Peter H

There is a huge difference between garlic powder and garlic salt.

Zuke’s beef Hip Action has 43 mg of salt per unit….. and their Chicken Hip Action has 30 mg. per unit. This seems to help bad knee and displasia.

Did not ask about salt in their Jerky Turkey (#12 in ingredients list)….. or in Z-Fillets Beef (#5 in ingredients list).

Have not seen anything definitive about salt for a 60 lb. dog. I have seen 200 mg/day to 2000 mg/day. What are others saying ?

#99303 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #99304 Report Abuse
    anonymous

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=garlic
    Hope this helps.

Ps: I don’t buy “powder” anything, it means other stuff is added to it, such as salt, msg.
    Salt doesn’t help anything, I have been avoiding it for decades, with good results 🙂

Believe what you want. Tons of salt are added to most processed foods anyway.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.