In need of aggressive flea meds

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum In need of aggressive flea meds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    haleycookie

Ok I recently had to move into a small apartment out of my dads place due to my dad becoming sick and loosing his house. So my dog went with my grandma. I usually use advantage to treat my dog for fleas if I ever find them on her. That has always done me well. If I see a flea on her or one of my cats I treat them all however my grandma has dogs of her own and has a feral colony in her house basically. They all used to be indoor outdoor but now are indoor. Over 20 of them. Fleas are quite the problem there and as you can imagine treating 20+ cats can be quite expensive something my grandma can’t afford to do most of the time. She occasionally get cheap stuff from Walmart to treat her dogs and cats but it doesn’t help much. I still use advantage on my dog but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything at all in this situation and it’s so sad for me to see her itch and chew all the time. I’m considering registering her as a emotional support dog to bring her to my apartment. But until then does anyone have suggestions on what kind of flea meds I could use? I was thinking about bravecto since it covers three months but idk tbh I’m not sure anything will keep them off completely. Ideally I’d love to have something that repelled the fleas or killed them instantly if they jumped on her. Any suggestions would be nice. I intend of calling around to vets and asking their opinions as well.

#98684 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Haleycookie-

Geez, I wish I had better news for you. Unfortuntely the way fleas work, if your grandma can’t get them under control in the house you will still find them on your dog. Killing the adult fleas on your dog does not “stop” the infestation because with as many cats as she has in the house there are likely tons of eggs etc. That being said you absolutely still want him on a flea preventative like you said. I’ve used Bravecto for a while now and love it.

Hopefully you can find a way to have her at your apartment! Poor baby 🙁

#98686 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Let me guess. Wall to wall old carpeting?
    If she is going to have multiple animals in her home, I would suggest having the carpeting torn out and replaced with an easy to clean type of vinyl flooring.
    Everything will have to be removed from the house, the occupants will have to stay elsewhere for at least a couple of days so that a professional pest control company can fumigate the place. Anything else would only be a temporary band aid solution (at best) and ineffective.
    This could become a Board of Health issue (or Animal Control)……a neighbor could make a call.

This is just my opinion/speculation based on the limited information provided.
    I could be way off, but I don’t think so based on what you have described.

#98693 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Another thought, maybe you should do an intervention with your Grandma? If she has taken on too many pets to adequately care for and provide medical attention for, maybe she should consider contacting local animal control or a local feral cat rescue group for help placing the animals elsewhere?
    Fleas are disgusting, everyone in the house will get sick if this situation doesn’t get under control.
    I apologize if I am being blunt, I am only trying to help.

#98694 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

She only has carpet in her bedroom. Hard wood everywhere else. Believe me I’ve considered calling the board of health on her myself but she’s usually kept it under control until recently. But now that she has my dog it’s likely that she would be taken and hauled off to the pound like the rest of the animals would be if I called. My grandma is a bit delusional. Idk how to convince her. She believes that the cats all need to go together to one place. She refuses to call anywhere to see if they can take any of that cats. She had to take some of them to the pound where they were put to sleep the next day. I think it traumatized her. It is unfortunate but most no kill places would take even one or two cats let alone 20+.

#98695 Report Abuse
    anonymous

What area are you in? There are animal sanctuaries, they are hard to find, but sometimes if you make a decent donation (money talks) they will take in unadoptable pets and feral cats and they can live out their lives there.

Ps: I think your Grandma needs help, get the family together and discuss.

#98696 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

I live in Indianapolis. Im also of little means so I don’t have a lot of money to donate to places. Most of the cats are friendly as well and could be adopted out.

And I’m aware she needs helps but she’s been rescuing animals her whole life and no one unfortunelty sees anything wrong with it as I come from a family who doesn’t think much of animals. Just kinda has them around. This is the first time it’s gotten out of control for her.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by haleycookie.
    #98698 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Have they been spayed/neutered? Seen a vet lately? Rabies shots?
    This is what any shelter will ask you.

Ps: Be careful about giving the cats away, some folks will take in a pet for free as a toy for nasty little children to entertain themselves with.

#98699 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Everyone of them is fixed. Some have seen a vet recently some have not.

#98700 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Call the local Humane Society, they may have some ideas. Good luck

#98908 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’d be getting my dog out of there and help for grandma.

#99172 Report Abuse
    Tabitha K

I use bravetco for fleas on my dogs. 3 month pill costs about $60

As for the house, you’ll need to get it bombed. If that’s out the price range, there are many carpet treatments and sprays you can use available at any pet or feed store.

Hope that helps

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.