Ideal Dog Food Protein,Fat, and Carb Ratio

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food Ideal Dog Food Protein,Fat, and Carb Ratio

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alexis w

I was wanting to hear people’s opinions on this, what do you think is the ideal ratio of protein, fat and carbs in dog food, homemade or commercial? From what I read on another website the ancestral diet is around 56% protein, 25-30% fat, and 14% carbs and the commercial diet is around 18-32% protein, 8-32% fat, and 46-74% carbs. To me the ancestral diet seems more correct than the commercial one but it still seems a bit unbalanced, what do you all think?

#86267 Report Abuse
    anonymously
    #86286 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I do like to feed some carbs, mostly foods with good levels of antioxidants or super green foods for their micronutrients. I try to feed no more than 20% of the diet as carbs. I like protein to be around twice the % of the fat, but am OK with a 3/2 ratio.

I do have one dog that gets a higher carb %, but that’s because she needs more fiber, so it’s indigestible carbs.

#86287 Report Abuse
    alexis w

thanks @theBCnut what im currently feeding is 14% carbs 36% fat and 50% protein and most of my recipes seem to be within that range give or take a few %. as far as carbs im definitely mostly worried about the indigestible ones which is what most of the ones in my recipes are(coming from stuff like snow peas and then digestible ones from sweet potatoes) no grains in 99% of my recipes and the grains i do use are quinoa or oatmeal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.