🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

I took advantage of the $5 off petflow offered me for using my phone to surf the site, and bought a bag of Nutrisource Super Performance for just $51! That’s about $10 cheaper than buying it local. It’ll be here eventually lol

I hope the dogs do good on it! Anyone use it before?

#37698 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve used it before and my dogs did great on it. Micah is the only one who doesn’t, because it has too many ingredients that he can’t have.

#37699 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Aw, poor guy! I’m glad the rest have done good on it, though. My big guys seem to do good on anything, as long as its not all filler, then Haley drops weight. She can’t handle lower quality foods anymore (which is perfectly fine, because they’ll never be on any as long as I’m in charge of their food).

It sucks that this food is $60 for the 40 pound bag locally. Its the same price to feed the grain free ones if I did that ($45-50 for the 30 pound bags). The lazy person in me wants to just go through all the NS flavors, but the cheapskate in me wants to continue couponing for good deals on everything, at least when I can. Then the person in me that goes to school and works almost full time just to pay for it says “you ain’t got no time for coupons!!” LOL But whatever. It was a good deal and I’ve been wanting to try the dogs on it lol

#37703 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Patty, is Micha your avatar?

#37729 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, Micah is my avatar. I’ve never gotten a good picture of Gideon, not one.

#37740 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Aww! What’s his coloration? Micha is a handsome boy for sure!

#38470 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It’s here!!! I have about 60 pounds of food to go through yet before I can try the dogs on this (provided the expiration date is that far off. I should check that…. lol), but I’m super excited 😀 The bag isn’t as big as I thought it would be, though LOL I was imagining like one of those beastly bags of like Ol’ Roy or something. Nope! It’s not any bigger than a 30 pound bag of food (but it sure does weigh more!!) lol

The dogs are both eating lamb right now, so they’ll be getting a good rotation going lol Well, technically Haley is still on chicken (Wellness CORE), but she’s got just enough left that I can add in the Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Lamb and Rice under it, and then she’ll be on lamb. They’re basically just going back and forth between chicken and lamb right now, though I did nab 15 pounds of salmon Pet Botanics last weekend. I do have plans to try them on either the bison Pure Balance, or the bison (or maybe fish??) Nutrisource next. I guess it just depends on how much money I have in the dog food fund when their food gets low. I just spent it all ($30) on 30 pounds of Pet Botanics dog food, 50 pounds of cat liter, and a few cans of cat food and a bag of cat treats (let me just say, the Blue Buffalo cat treats: kitty crack! LOL). Not bad, though! Woulda cost me close to $150 other wise, so I’d say I did good lol Wasn’t expecting to spend my dog food fund so soon (just replaced it after all that cat food I bought!), but the dogs gotta eat and I got a SUPER awesome deal on that Pet Botanics, and I hate having less than two months worth of food put away.

#38472 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Akari:
    I love it when the packages arrive, don’t care what they are just love getting deliveries. lol If you’re able to, give us an update on how your guys liked and did on the Pet Botanics and Nutrisource!

I just finished Avoderm Trout & Pea (Bobby did awsome & loved it), right now he’s eating 4H GF Beef, had it b 4 & does well on it. Next month I will be feeding Nutrisource Chic & Rice or Nutrisource GF Lamb haven’t decided yet.

#38475 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Packages are always fun! I have two more coming in a few weeks, as well LOL (though they aren’t anything fun, and will probably result in a lot cat scratches when I try to use them LOL).

The big dogs like anything, so I see no problems in that department. Dweezle does well on anything, as well. Really the only thing I’m looking for is how well Haley does on them. She drops weight real quick on “bad” foods. She’s been doing good though, so fingers crosses these slightly lower quality foods will be ok with her crazy system! I’m not put her on a lower calorie food in quite a while, but it’s hot now, so we should be fine.

The NS Small and Medium Breed Puppy is pretty much the same as the Super Performance, and comes in 15 pound bags, if its something you want to try 🙂 I totally want to try the 4Health foods, but Tractor Supply is just too far away. We never go out that way 🙁

#38477 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Shasta
    I missed your post. Micah is red and white.

#38479 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I always like to hear how people’s dogs do on new food so I can bank it. You never know when you need to tweek what your feeding your dog or maybe be able to help someone else out when they need suggestions. Any review (only if you have time) is welcomed by me.

Just an FYI if you are ever by a TSC, here’s some info for you. We were having discussions on the review side about the two new GF formulas, pork and duck. Anyway, after a few of the regular contributors did some sleuthing, they found out Diamond manufactures the two new GF duck and pork. Diamond still makes all the grain inclusive 4Health and Ainsworth is still manufacturing the original GF flavors beef, turkey & whitefish as well as the GF cat food.

I don’t know if you purchase Diamond products or not. I have not bought a Diamond product (intentionally) since 2005.

And I always recommend the 4Health canned cat food; at 49 cents you can’t beat it. I ran them through the carb calculator and they are 5% carbs, if I did it correctly. lol 4Health really helps me keep the pet food expenses down and I feel they are a good product, at least all my furry friends do well on 4Health. You never know, maybe you’ll have a reason to be near a TSC in the future!

#38494 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

When I get there, I will let you know how they do, for sure 🙂

What?? Noooooo! Stupid Diamond… I’m sort of on the fence about them, but leaning more toward the “no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no!!!!!!!!!!” side. Some of their stuff is just sooooo tempting, given the value (Kirkland and Diamond Naturals) or their “quality” (TOTW, Canidae, etc), but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’ve *used* TOTW and Kirkland in the past, not knowing they were made by such a ridiculous company and been just fine, but knowing more these days, I’d rather just not, as tempting as they look.

Is the 49 cents a big can, or a 5.5 oz can? That’d be nice if we were ever in the area.

#38502 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

It’s always an individual choice as to what brand to feed, but I always like to pass on info I feel is nice to know as a consumer.

5.5 oz is 49 cents and they have the large can 12 or 13 oz??? for $1.00. Here’s some of the ingredients for Chic & Beef is: chic, chic broth, liver, beef, dried egg product, brewer’s rice, dried potatoes, barley, guar gum, flaxseed meal, carrots, cranberries, blueberries, apples dried chicory root, dried kelp, parsley, carrageenan, minerals are chelated as well. I have used all flavors and the cats liked them. But as with all the food I buy for them, they get tired of it so I do have to rotate or mix it in with the better canned food I buy for them.

I forgot to mention, but the 4Health canned dog food is excellent as well. It is 99 cents/can for 13.2 oz. Bobby loves all flavors. Come to think of it, I am not sure Bobby has met a meal he didn’t like! lol The lamb & salmon are pate styles and the others are a stew style with huge chunks of meat. They are canned by Simmons.

I mainly buy Pure Balance stews $1 and PB 95% $1.25, all 4Health varieties 13.2/99 cents or 22 oz/$1.59, and Earth’s Pride from BJ’s 8.99/6 pack for Bobby’s canned food. Anything else is from the 50% off rack or on sale. lol I scored 6 cans of Weruva dog food for $1.30 each last week that I was pretty happy with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.