How to Introduce Raw Diet to Dogs of Varying Ages?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food How to Introduce Raw Diet to Dogs of Varying Ages?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    LeAndra I

Hi all,

I have two small breed dogs and I would very much like to switch them to a raw diet after lots of reading and research. I have a 5 year old, 16lb Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher Mix and I also have a 5 month old, 6lb Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix. Both dogs suffer from vaccine allergies and are more susceptible to outdoor allergens as well. The 5 year old has also had allergic reactions to some dry kibble. With their allergies and sensitivities, I feel as though a raw or BARF diet will be more suitable for them.

I want to do this slowly and the right way to make sure their meals are balanced and while I can find tons of information out there on what to feed in order to create the best nutritionally balanced meal, I cannot for the life of me seem to find any good examples of graduated meal plans that detail what to feed when starting out over the first few weeks and how much. For example, is it better to start with chicken or turkey? When exactly do we want to begin incorporating veggies and which ones are best in the beginning? How long do we wait before introducing the offal? What about the green tripe? Etc.

I’m aware that a good probiotic is important so I don’t have any questions in regards to that but I need some help on coming up with a good intoductory meal plan for my pups. Especially since they are different ages and weights. My vet office of course is not on board with a raw diet since they are seen at Banfield and thus recommend the kibble sold in the pet stores like Science Diet and Blue. Any insight? It is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.