How To Deal With Your Dog's Psychological Issues Like Anxiety?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health How To Deal With Your Dog's Psychological Issues Like Anxiety?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fey W

Despite being man’s best friend, a dog share several personalities, tendencies and overall behaviors with human beings. A dog can be affected psychologically, sometimes due to loneliness, or old age. As the dog grows older, he will develop some behavior, or weaknesses, which can be managed too. Some of these conditions will need you to take your pet to a dog health care for treatment. Nevertheless, most of them can be managed right from your home.
    Some of the most common problems include the following.
    • Urinary Incontinence
    This is the inability of controlling urine from coming out. As a result, it might lead to urinating while sleeping, forming dribbling subsequent to urinating or urinating bit by bit throughout the day. This condition, mostly occurs in older dogs, which might be caused due to;
    • A mass or a growth that obstructs the urethra
    • A stone formation in the bladder due to an added urine alkalinity.
    • Inadequate exercise or access to the fields or yard.
    • Hormone receptive incontinence, this is caused as a result of not being able to hold the urine.

For such a condition, you will be needed to wash the skin around the openings of the urethra in order to avoid urine burning the area from leakage. You can buy protective pads such as the Dog Wrap for males or Pet Bloomers for females.

• Canine Compulsive
    This disorder is typified by too much repetition of a behavior or action. The common behavior associated include tail chasing, excessive licking, chasing reflections or shadows or snapping a flying insect.

For treating this condition, it will depend on the cause, the treatment might include lessening stress or constant interaction with the owner. The anti-anxiety medication that is used in humans has been noted to cut down the compulsive behavior tendencies in dogs. It is advised to use these drugs together with some training, this will help the dog to adjust his behavior and have a lasting result.

• Separation Anxiety
    The most popular symptoms of this condition can include too much vocalization like incessant yelping, barking or crying, escaping, panting, house soiling, anorexia or pacing. A dog loves to socialize and he will experience anxiety or stress when they are left alone by their companions. This has mostly been noted in puppies as they go to a new home, though adult dogs can also be affected by the same.

Separation anxiety is commonly caused by the physical separation of the owner from the dog. This is a predictable incidence noted in the majority of dogs. Nevertheless, it is a state characterized by a change of routine or habitual separation from the owner. For instance, if the work schedule of the owner changes, that will affect the dog, due to the alteration in the time taken when with the owner. It might also be caused due to the excess attention and love shown to the dog immediately before separation.

For managing this condition, you might want to reduce the attachment with the dog and avoiding attention and affection just before leaving and when returning. You could also teach the dog some behaviors or actions like fetching your keys when you want to leave or walking you to the door.

You might also think of counter training, for instance, you could discourage the unwelcome behavior and encourage a new, enviable behavior. For example, you might teach the dog a number of separation routines, shorter than the decisive time when the anxiety takes place. These short separations will teach the dog to get used to the imminent separations. If the dog remains relaxed via a number of short separations, then you might apply the counter trainings. In this process, you could treat the dog with some marrow-bone, pig’s ear when you leave. Ideally, you could leave the dog with something to unwrap as you leave, this would keep him busy and gradually forget about your departure.

These are some of the psychological problems linked with dogs, including old age and boredom. Generally, lack of attention and/or mistreatment would depress the dog, and just like a human being, he would be affected psychologically be the condition. You should limit your absence tendencies, or at least teach the little friend how to cope with the situation. If the dog is still behaving weirdly, you might want to take him to a dog health care for further check up.

#49340 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Fey, I rescued Patch an 4 yr old English Staffy about 20 months ago, as soon as I got Patch I put him into a routine, feed him the same time, walks the same time, bed the same time etc, Patch gets very very excited when he see men & kids when my daughter or friends come over he’ll jump run come back & jump up again, Ive told them to ignore this behaviour & dont touchhim & walk away, I throw a ball so he goes & plays maybe thats wrong also Patch whinges cries when we go to the park & just sit & watch kids playing or if a dogs walks past Patch will start to cry & whinge, he wants to met everyone & say hello, the vet said that Staffys are talkers, he’s just saying hello…Ive tried everything to stop this crying & whinging, I know he just wants to go & met the dog or the kids, but its embarrassing, why does he have to be so vocal I call him a baby also when I go to a shop or library & tie Patch outside, I will hear him outside whinging he only does this whinging when he see someone or a dog….if no one is around he’s nice & quiet…also when he does this whinging people will come to him & say hello & he is getting what he wants a response with his crying, I dont know what happened in his other life, when I got him he had no hair around his whole neck either from a real tight collar or rope he also had rope burn marks on the right side legs front & back like he pulled to see something & the rope cut into his legs & he has I think u call them corns thick skin on the bottom of his back feet from sitting & waiting on a concrete surface.. How do I stop him whinging when he see people kids & dogs?????? as soon as he starts his whinging & whinning I say thats it, we are going home & I get up & walk home, so now as soon as he start I’ll say we’re going home & he’ll stop, what else can I do??

#50217 Report Abuse
    fey W

Hi Sue, probably I understand why Patch always whinging only when he see someone or dog walk past or close to him. And the point is that it’s not always best to automatically try to stop it when you don’t feel well. You know Patch won’t stay quiet when he see somebody around him and you don’t want him whinging. To be honest, you’re avoiding that problem. As mentioned above what I said, a dog can be develop some behavior or weakness, which may due to his past life. Just like our human beings, Once a habit is formed, it is difficult and sometimes impossible to shake it off. But the time and emotions you put into would be the best way to correct Patch. You should give him proper traning, and teach him to get used to that situation he met other people or dogs. You should limit your impatience, try your best to help him how to cope with the situation. Remember that, dog also love to socialize and you don’t need to stop him every time. You can give him a sign to tell that’s not right to cry. I believe Patch will feel what you are meaning and slowly correct his wrong behaviors. Finally,hope you like my advice and can help you out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.