how often to rotate kibble ?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition how often to rotate kibble ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Peter S

Hi, I’m wondering how often you all rotate your dog kibble…I have 2 adult labs who go through a large (25-30 lb) bag in about 4 weeks…My normal feeding program is kibble (currently Nature’s Logic rabbit ) approx 5 days a week, and on the other 2 days it’s a mix of frz-dried green tripe, pureed greens/veggies, canned pumpkin, raw egg. And included in those 2 ‘whole-fresh-food’ days is usually a 24-hr fast. So ,would it be appropriate for me to switch over to a different brand kibble/protein source after each 4-week period ? Or should I go 2 months(or more) on one brand/protein before switching ? I actually just got a new bag of Farmina N&D low-grain (cod is protein source) delivered today…that will be a curveball for my guys since they’ve never experienced cod as their main protein source (OR spelt or oats near the top of the ingredients list).
    Thanx in advance for all advice and feedback !

#57147 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would switch after every bag. Since I go through bags quickly, I keep 2 bags open at all times and switch back and forth even more often.

#57150 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I rotate every 15-20 lbs for my big guys, since I get better deals buying small bags in bulk. At 5 cups a day, that typically lasts my two a few weeks. For my Mini Dachshund, I rotate every bag, and a small bag last her 3-4 weeks. She also gets 3oz of canned which is rotated every feeding more or less (when ever a can runs out).

#57154 Report Abuse

I buy the small bags. Is it ok to rotate after every small bag or should i give it more time to make sure the dogs do well on it? A small bag usually lasts about 2 weeks. So far i only two in my rotation. NVI and Annamaet. I’m stocked up with both of them until June 2015. I’m going to try Fromm next. I would like to have one more at least.

#57158 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I switch every bag as well, unless I don’t have enough to feed a full meal then it gets mixed. I also buy a range of cans and alternate between a random can and dehydrated for each meals toppers as well. Lots of variety is good, and once your dog has a healthy gut, you won’t need to do any sort of transitional period

#57160 Report Abuse

I top with Wellness cans. I need to add some variety there too as well and try some different canned foods.

#57161 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I rotate every month or so, but I don’t really have much of a choice because Lily takes about a month go through a 5lb bag, longer if mixed with canned. She is 9.5 pounds. From what I’ve heard you can do whatever is most convenient, whether that is every meal or every month.

#57162 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’m going through at least 12 cups per day so I have 2 or 3 bags of different flavors open at a time. Right now it’s 12 cups, but I’m getting 3 more dogs this weekend.

#57166 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I like to keep them on a new food longer, so that I know for sure my one dog is doing fine on it. I start with a small bag, in case he doesn’t react well, and then another. I go for 3 weeks on a new food. If he hasn’t reacted by then, I’m not worried. If he does react, I just give the food to the other 2 dogs. I’ve never had him react to a food that I didn’t know within the first bag, but the last food he reacted to took much longer than any other food has.

#57207 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@pugmomsandy Wait, you foster dogs right?

#57212 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes I do. 260 so far! And I adopted seven chickens!

#57255 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

That’s awesome! I thought it was a bit strange that you were getting 3 new dogs in one weekend, but then I remembered that you said something about fostering one time. I have also fostered, before I got Lily. I’m hoping to do it again sometime soon, but we’ll have to see how it goes with Lily’s training(she starts basic classes in a few weeks.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.