🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jo C

I want to make some salmon for my baby girl and don’t know how much is safe for her? Do I mix it with her kibble or just give it by it self? She weighs about 70-80 pounds.

#93813 Report Abuse
    elaine c

I hope you have done the research and know that you can NOT feed Pacific salmon… Also if you are trying to really make the food better.. why not get rid of kibble. Kibble is cooked so much there is nothing left in it… except the profit for the dog food companies.. Check out answerspetfood.com… it is really a great raw food. with fermented items.

#93814 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Pacific salmon may contain flukes that cause salmon poisoning if it has not been frozen for at least 7 days or cooked before being fed. I mix canned salmon, tuna or sardines in my dogs’ kibble at least once a week.

My dogs are about 80 lbs. and I usually add about 100 calories of topper to their meals.

Again, Pacific NW fish is totally safe as long as not fed raw unless has been deep froze for 7 days. This kills the fluke that may have attached itself to the fish. Hope this helps!

#93815 Report Abuse
    Jo C

I believe I got the wild caught Salmon. I have a check up for my gal Thursday to get a better idea on her weight now, exact measurements I should be feeding her vs what I am feeding her now(kibble and homemade). I do have a can of sardines I don’t know how many ounces it is though. I made 1 salmon and topped it with her kibble which was a cup for her dinner. I’m still trying to figure this all out and hopefully the vet can put some light to all this. I have a good quality kibble (chicken Soup for the Soul Dog Food) that the first couple ingredients are meat. However I have been reading a lot and a lot of people said on their blog, post etc that since your kibble is good you don’t need to add much to it. You can vegetables with the kibble, of cottage cheese or eggs, or just more meat etc. So I want to make sure what I am and will be doing is correct.

Thank you

#93816 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Jo C-
    No, you do not have to add anything to a complete and balanced kibble for your dog to get all its required nutrition. However, I feel better adding fresh, less processed food to it. I feel like it’s just a little healthier. There is a download on dogwise.com called See Spot Live Longer by Steve Brown that was helpful to me for ideas and amounts to add to kibble. Also there is info on dogaware.com on the subject.

I rotate adding canned, eggs, tripe, commercial raw and sardines to their kibble meals. Just remember if you choose to do this, decrease the amount of kibble being fed to avoid over feeding. Good luck!

#93824 Report Abuse
    Rusty T

Every other Friday at our house is “Fish Fridays.” I give canned wild caught Alaskan Salmon, sardines or very very very occasionally tuna (packed in water). I generally don’t mix it with kibble. It’s the evening meal. There’s the whole mercury thing that you have to be careful of. Just count the calorie content for whatever combination you are doing and substitute that to equal the same for the usual calories for the evening meal. My Siberian husky/GSD mix is wild for canned fish, but won’t it the kibbles that use fish as the base.

#93826 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Woo Hoo! Fish Friday’s! We have Sardine Sunday at our house. Sardines are not high in Mercury. I believe that generally speaking, the smaller fish have lower levels of mercury.

#93827 Report Abuse
    Rusty T

Not to be confused with Turkey Neck Sundays or Green Tripe Wednesdays.

#93828 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

😉🙂😀!

#93864 Report Abuse
    Rusty T

Sorry Jo C. The side of the can of salmon will tell you how many calories per serving, and how many servings per can. The calorie content varies based on kind of salmon. But say 200 calories per 3.5 oz can.

Then go here for your total calories per day per your dog. I generally try to balance out an average per week over a seven day period in the calories per day. My Siberian/gsd mix tends to put on weight, so we really count his calories while our GSD must have the most amazing metabolism.

/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/

(We’ve a service here where I live which is overseen by a vet with a nutritional background that will custom make your dog and cat food, either raw or gently cooked. All organic, all free range or grass fed. They sell lamb and beef tripe, turkey necks, marrow bones, etc. My two are on a mix of raw diet, kibble, canned food, and cooked foods. Hence my calorie thing. I mix up their diet all the time.)

#93916 Report Abuse
    Jo C

Crazy4cats and Rusty,

Thank you both so much. I’m like super excited for her checkup tomorrow to see how much she weighs now since she was previously weighing in at 70#. I also, got a list of things to ask the vet to see if she can spread some light of the exact amount and calories based on her current weight and depending on her weight if she needs to lose some or gain or remain the same. referring to not having to add toppers as some call it I guess in order to feed more homemade I have to find out tomorrow how much I should be feeding her exactly then I can add more homemade then dry. Right now I am feeding her 1c am/pm dry kibble and I believe 1/2c am/pm homemade. So hopefully I find out more and keep you guys updated. I like the whole “Fish Friday”. She doesn’t like raw and she has been very gassy lately haha I did make coconut oil w/ blueberries and sweet potato treats. It’s coming from something lol. She does shed a lot a lot so I’m also trying to make her coat shiny 🙂

#93917 Report Abuse
    Jo C

also, this is what is in her dog food 🙂 so your both saying she would be good just with that? and if I occasionally want to add more meat like chicken heart or liver of beef I can? or just add more veggies with on top I can?

Ingredients: Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, peas, oatmeal, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, potatoes, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, duck, salmon, egg product, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, Yucca schidigera extract, l-carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid

#93953 Report Abuse
    Susan W

Don’t forget – farm raised salmon does NOT have the same beneficial nutritional values as wild-caught fish.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.