🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

Since it’s springtime and we have chickens/ducks, there is a surplus of eggs. Currently, each dog gets one raw egg daily (40-70lbs), and Cassy (the 70lb old lab) eats the shell as well.

Would it be safe to give one or two of them an extra egg daily? Should I try to incorporate the shell for all 3 dogs, just let them eat if they want (right now, only Cassy likes to eat the shell), or toss the shells in the garden?

They also get about 1/2-1tbsp coconut oil and a little bit of sardine oil (just the human soft gels. They get 1-3) 4-5 days a week.

#38231 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I feed lightly cooked every other egg. Most kibbles are already high in calcium, so I wouldn’t feed the shell unless you are feeding some boneless meat too.

#38234 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

This book Im reading Raw & Nutural Nutrition for dogs by Lew Olson PhD, she recommends to boil the eggs, leave egg shells on a tray in warm place over night, then ground up.. If ur feeding Raw Meaty Bones they are a great source of calcium, they wont need the extra calcuim if their diet is raw, But if ur dogs aren’t on a Raw diet then..half a teaspoon of grounded egg shells sprinked on meal..Im doing this at the moment grounded up the egg shells & putting in spice jar..

#38237 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Eggshell is an excellent source of calcium, if you need to add calcium to a diet, but they are excess calcium , if you don’t need to add calcium to the diet.

#38242 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I cook for Patch I add half boiled egg for more protein & Im slowly cutting out his kibble as kibble isn’t good for dogs with Pancreatits, wet is better to help with the digestion while the Pancreas isnt working properly & fingers X my Patchy seems to be getting better, finally, no more licking & licking his mouth all morning & looking so ill. he’s playing with himself again, oh that doesn’t sound right playing with himself lol…playing ball, thanks to reading post on here & reading heaps of good books…this site has really help me learn about dog nutrition…Thank-You

#38245 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yeah, that didn’t sound right, but we know what you mean…I hope.

#38279 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’m not sure what the calcium content in their food is, I’d have to look. Seems like shells are around 40-50% calcium, right?

Is there a hazard of feeding raw eggs, or should I rather say – benefit of lightly cooked?

And my dogs don’t get many bones currently. We don’t have access to a good affordable butcher, and my dad didn’t go hunting this year, so the dogs only get occasional leftover (raw, yes) poultry bones. Cassy (dog who eats shells) doesn’t even get the bones, the boyz beat her to em.

Sue, they’re on kibble :/ dang I would love to get to home made, but as I’ve said – I don’t have the funds, resources, or space for it. One day though!

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by Shasta220.
    #38282 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

I’ve always read that they must be cooked, I’d Google “are raw eggs bad for a dog”…I wish Patch was a healthy dog & could eat anything like my last girl, Kibble is so much easier then cooking.. I just did his chicken & Butternut Pumkin it took me 1 hour, thats cooking then putting in freezer bags, but now Im right for a fortnight..I boil his egg every second day as he’s on half a egg cause he’s a small the medium size..Im making him Gluten free Banana & Honey cookies tomorrow, a recipe I got of the net then if they turn out good, Im going to make up little packets of 10 cookies for $5 to sell at the Dog park.. I might make some with normal Flour for the normal dogs & the Gluten free for the dogs that cant have wheat..

#38284 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Sue, so cool you’re doing dog treats! I’m starting up as well, trying to sell them at farmers market. There’s one other guy who sells them too, but his treats have wheat (only one uses rice instead) and dairy. Mine will all be wheat free and I’m even going for GF in a couple. Plus I’m leaning more toward healthy things that might sound good to a person (e.g. Pumpkin Flax, Savory Potato & Chicken), but the other guy just sticks to flavors like cheese, bacon, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll get at least some buyers 😀

#38295 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I won’t swear by my spelling, but here is the scoop on eggs. Raw egg white has a substance called avidin(that’s the spelling?) that binds with biotin so the dog can’t use the biotin in it’s diet. However, there are other very good things in raw egg. Heat deactivates the avidin. So the key is to give raw eggs sometimes, but not all the time. The rest of the time you want the white lightly cooked but the yolk as untouched as possible. Seperating out the white and cooking it by itself is the best method, but a pain in the neck. Soft boiling is probably second, but that still heats the yolk too much to be doing no damage to the heat sensitive stuff in the yolk. Next, would be sunny side up for doing the least damage.

#38311 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I see. Very very interesting for sure! If I was ever adventurous, then I’d try sifting out a few days’ worth of whites at a time. So the white doesn’t need to be cooked thoroughly, just till it’s, well, white?

#38357 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I usially give Bruno one raw egg/week, scrambled up and mixed with his kibble. Would that be “rare” enough to not have to cook the white part? I could do it though, if need be.

#38361 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Here is a link from Dogs Naturally: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/feeding-your-dog-raw-eggs-good-or-bad/

The above article pretty much agrees with what the nut expressed earlier. (small n, Patty :))

#38362 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Shasta
    Yes, just til it’s white. Try putting 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of a pan and bring it to a boil. Place however many eggs in there that you want to cook, and put the lid on it. Leave it for 3-4 minutes then run cold water over the eggs. Crack open and feed as soon as they are cool enough.

Hi Naturella
    One a week would be rare enough and yet still a good amount of raw egg for the benefits of raw for a dog Bruno’s size.

#38365 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Thanks C4C,
    I appreciate the lower case n! I thought about saying “Hey, I resemble that remark!”

#40831 Report Abuse
    Sue’s Zoo

I feed raw and usually just add raw eggs on occasion but I didn’t realize the info about avidin and cooking. And I agree that separating egg whites is a pain so now that I’m going to cook some I found a couple of egg separators on Amazon and figured I’d share the info.

The second one had more reviews and a slightly higher rating. And they’re each under $5. I’m sure you can find them at a bed bath and beyond, too.

Always learn something new and useful when I read thru these forums. Wish there was a way to compile all the info. Or a good search engine for the forum!

#40832 Report Abuse
    Sue’s Zoo

Just read the Dogs Naturally article. Apparently it’s better to feed eggs (including whites) raw because cooking depletes the nutritional value. So I may give mine all raw yolks, some raw whites and cook the unused whites for my breakfast :).

#40843 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I don’t mind separating eggs. I just crack the egg and drop the yolk between the two shell-halves. If you want to do several, I’ve seen a trick to crack the eggs in a bowl, then use an empty water bottle, squeeze it a little bit, then put the end over the yolk. It sucks that yolk right up.

I’ll probably keep with the raw eggs, since it’s so much easier to crack an egg right over the food – but if I ever have a leftover egg white, then I’ll be cooking it a tiny bit.
    Thanks all for the help

#42287 Report Abuse
    bryan c

I have a question about mixing the eggs usage and a product I found “Ultra 24 milk replacer” is this a good product and ok to give a 8 week old puppy?

#42293 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Bryan C –

I wasn’t familiar with the product but I just looked it up. My concern with this product would be that it contains generic “animal fat” preserved with BHA, BHT, citric acid and ethoxyquin. 🙁 As far as puppy formulas go, my favorite is Wysong’s Mother’s Milk (http://www.wysong.net/products/mothersmilk-dog-cat-supplement.php) there are also some great recipes out there for homemade formulas – they usually contain ingredients like goat’s milk and egg yolks. Just curious as to why you’re looking to feed formula to an 8 week old puppy? Formula definitely won’t do any harm but a pup that age should be able to eat solid food.

#87414 Report Abuse
    Laurie L

I have an Italian Mastiff he is 1 1/2 yrs old. We rescued him at 99 lbs. We have had him for 4 months and he is now 117. I just started feeding him eggs. At first I was cooking them with coconut oil mainly to melt the organic oil. Also I did not know if he would like them raw. Well I was in a hurry yesterday so I stirred it in raw he actually wanted more food. Which has been a struggle. He needs at least another 30 lbs added to him. My question is how many raw eggs is okay for a 117lb dog?

#87418 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Laurie, eggs help make muscle, it’s about 3 eggs a week, carbs will help gain weight like boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes & add some cooked green veggies… Do you feed kibble?? kibble helps gain weight, make sure you look at the Kcals/per cup, its normally on the kibble site under Feeding Guide.. Look for a kibble that’s 370Kcals/per cup & over…
    Here’s a calculator to work out how many calories he should be eating a day…. also feed 3 meals a day divide into 3 smaller meals a day, this way his meals aren’t tooo big (Bloat)
    to eat all at once.. I feed Taste Of The Wild Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb, I just looked in the TOTW booklet at their High Prairie Canine Formula Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison Grain Free is 370kcals per cup & a dog that weights 125lbs-150lbs should eat 5 – 5 3/4 cups a day….if after feeding the 5 & 3/4 cups kibble a day & he hasn’t gained any weight in 2 weeks I’d see a vet…. you can add some fresh whole foods with the kibble as a topper….
    http://www.german-shepherd-lore.com/dog-food-calculator.html

#89522 Report Abuse
    Mandee Y

New to this site, looking forward to reading more good information for my dog Max

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Mandee Y.
    #89524 Report Abuse
    Mandee Y

Susan Ihave been reading up on how many eggs and if to give or not give to our dogs.. Very interesting to read up on so much information can’t wait to go in and start my Max on some eggs he sure will love.. Susan, I was reading on how you not only feed your dog, dog food but other things like banana bread, potatoes.. My question is do you cook like you are cooking for yourself or is there a different way to cook it? Also is there a site that you would know of with recipes for dogs food?

#89559 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Mandee, I cook Patches dinner meal separate then some nights when cooking for myself I add a extra potato & veggies for Patch as well & thenadd a tin of tuna or tin salmon in spring water drained & give 1/2 to Patch for dinner & put the other 1/2 in the fridge for the next night dinner…. I follow Rodney Habib on F/B he’s a Pet Nutrition Blogger. http://www.facebook.com/rodneyhabib/?pnref=story
    Rodney is always posting excellent post he just posted a raw balanced recipe made by Dr Karen Becker & Steve Brown that you can feed raw or cooked & buy all the ingredients at
    supermarket… I sort of make the same recipe for Patch minus the ginger powder & hemp oil cause Patch has IBD 3-4 yrs ago if I feed what Patch is eating now he’d probably have diarrhea, its taken a few years for his stomach & bowel heal, I’m glad I didn’t listen to vets cause poor Patch would be stuck on a vet diet that made him smell itch & have acid reflux..
    I buy lean beef mince then the next time I buy Pork mince I use to buy chicken but Patch has food sensitivities to chicken & gets red paws & itchy skin, I have a mini blender, I add some raw broccoli, parsley, kale, almond & flax meal about 1 teaspoon, turmeric powder about 1/2 a teaspoon & blend in the blender then add & mix thru the mince meat & add 1 whisked egg & mix thru then make 1 cup size rissoles & bake on a baking tray in oven… then I freeze them all when cooled & I also boil a cut up sweet potato, then freeze the boiled pieces as well then take out in the morning for dinner… I have to feed Patch 4 meals a day, at 7am he gets his 1 cup TOTW kibble then I give him a snack around 11am either some peeled apple or yogurt that’s sugar & fat free, then at lunch time, I either feed 1/2 cup kibble or scrambled egg on toast or today I tried Peanut Butter on toast for the first time, dogs love peanut butter..
    but I have to watch his weight it just drops off so I have to make sure I keep his calories up he needs 1000-1100 calories a day… then at 5pm he gets his cooked rissole & sweet potato or 1 cup of his TOTW kibble, then at 8pm he has 1/3 a cup TOTW kibble…if he was a normal dog & didn’t have IBD I’d probably just feed 2-3 meals a day & I’d feed a raw diet….if he keeps doing well I was thinking of trying Raw Diet again its easier there’s no cooking….
    There’s a few healthy cooks groups on F/B there’s, Monica Segal called-K9 Kitchen, Cooking For Dogs, Home Cooking For Dogs, Queeniechi Says Cook Homemade dog food & Canine Nutrition & Natural Health run by Cat Lane its more healthy supplements to feed when dog has illness..
    .. but I love Rodney Habib the best & most of these people follow Rodney.. Good-Luck

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.