How do you know what your dog needs?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food How do you know what your dog needs?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tarcy m

Hi.. I am a new owner to a rescue pup as of 3 weeks ago. He has severe allergies and is being treated with TemerilP to stop the licking, and scratching. I am not ruling out the food he’s on at the moment as the culprit. At the vets office yesterday he gave me the green light to make his food at home. This is where my confusion begins (sigh): 5 part diet, 1 part only proteins not to exceed 20%, low sodium, low protein. He also told me to buy a petcap multivitamin and add to his food. Warner (2-4 years) has not been diagnosed with anything yet but were in the process of possible heart/lung conditions he believes due to allergies/bronchial, but not certain as the diagnostics are expensive..

I was excited to begin this culinary experience until I googled home made dog food. Do this, don’t do that, egg shells, bones..?? How do I know his nutritional needs and which recipe to achieve this? I am almost ready to throw in the towel, but haven’t given up yet.

What I am asking is anyone who is familiar with the above issues to direct me or give me a break down in figuring out his dietary needs along with what to cook for his max benefits. I’d much rather feed him foods that are of nature and not the preserved bag stuff on the shelf. I appreciate all that took the time to read this post and I hope to hear back soon. Thank you ~ Warner’s Mom

#84641 Report Abuse
    anonymously

http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pd

excerpt below from: http://www.2ndchance.info/Apoquel.htm
    Food Allergies are probably over-diagnosed in dogs (they account for, perhaps 5-10%). Hypoallergenic diets are occasionally, but not frequently, helpful in canine atopy cases but you should always give them a try. Food intolerances are more common – but considerably more likely to result in digestive disturbances and diarrhea than in itching problems.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/category/nutrition/

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=allergies

Hope this helps, try the search engine here for more threads “allergies”

#84642 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Helpful article below:
    By Klaus Loft, DVM
    Angell Dermatology Service

Anyone who suffers debilitating environmental allergies tied to changing seasons, pet dander or household dust mites knows first-hand the misery of a scratchy throat, itchy eyes or painful rashes.

Not everyone knows, however, that our pets can experience similar allergic reactions — and other very bothersome dermatological issues. But our pets need not suffer in silence. Modern veterinary science has evolved such that advanced, comprehensive treatments are now available to treat a range of skin conditions.

Top pet dermatological issues

Our four-legged friends suffer from some of the same skin issues as we do — and several that we do not. The most common conditions we see at Angell include:

•Parasites, such as mites, fleas and mange (scabies)
    •Infectious diseases, such as Staphylococcal pyoderma (“Staph”) skin infections, yeast and fungal infections and skin fold infections
    •Systemic diseases, such as autoimmune diseases
    •Skin cancer, such as Squamous cell carcinoma, cutaneous lymphoma, Mast cell tumors
    •Allergies, such as flea allergy dermatitis, adverse food reactions, environmental allergies, etc.

All of these conditions can become serious and, if untreated, dramatically reduce quality of life. But the tremendous strides made in veterinary innovation, however, is very good news for our pets. Specifically, the testing and treatments for allergies now rivals human healthcare in its sophistication, quality of care and long-term health outcomes.

Unlike humans, dogs and cats cannot tell us about their dermatological health issues. So we as pet owners must look for the signs. The most common indicators that a pet is suffering from some kind of allergy involve frequent episodes of ear infections, red raised or open sores on the skin, constant licking or biting of paws or groin — sometimes causing wounds that will not go away.

Allergies present a particular challenge because there can be hundreds (even thousands) of potential allergens that impact pet health, from foods to pollen from grasses, weeds, trees, dust mites and more. Today’s specialty veterinary hospitals have access to the very latest diagnostic tests to get to the bottom of what’s ailing our pet. Among these tests is the Intra Dermal Test (IDT).

IDT is generally considered the gold standard of testing for identifying allergens that cause pets to suffer from chronic skin and/or ear diseases. IDT involves injections of a series of concentrated allergens into the skin to determine which of them generate allergic reactions in a given animal. The use of fluorescein — a chemical that illuminates the inflammation caused by the injected allergens in order to visualize the strength of individual reactions — is key to accurately diagnosing pet allergies, and is just one of the many ways veterinarians use new technologies to improve care and diagnostics.

The results of IDT (as well as a review of the pet’s medical history) can then inform comprehensive immunotherapy treatments to relieve suffering. Veterinary dermatologists rely on IDT to build customized treatment plans for patients called Allergen Specific Immuno Therapy or “ASIT” for short.

ASIT involves a series of injections specifically created for the allergic animal’s skin. These injections, of diluted allergens, are designed to make a pet less sensitive to their allergens over time. In most cases these injections must be continued for life to reduce symptoms, but they are highly effective. Seventy to 90 percent of pets experience a reduction in symptoms as a result of ASIT treatment. These treatments can be delivered even more easily via droplets under the tongue, perfect for pet owners who are squeamish about giving injections to their pet.

This treatment is very new to the North American field of medicine (both human and veterinary) and underscores just how far innovation in veterinary medicine has come.

When it’s time to see the vet

Many pet owners are understandably concerned about taking their animals to the veterinarian because the cost (to say nothing of the fear some animals experience when going do the doctor) may outweigh any perceived reduction in suffering. To help pet owners know when it’s time to bring Fido to the doctor I’ve compiled my “Top Ten” list of dermatological symptoms that should never be ignored:

•Intense itching of the skin (head shaking, running the face into the carpet, furniture, etc.)
    •Biting at the skin that creates red, raw crusting areas of the skin
    •Multiple ear infections (head shaking, odor from ears, scratching at the ears with hind legs)
    •Paw licking or chewing and frequent infections of the skin in the webbed skin of the paws
    •Staining of the fur of the paws and nails on multiple feet
    •Reoccurring skin infections in the groin, under the shoulders, perianal areas (on or under the tail)
    •Greasy scaling skin and/or fur with odorous skin
    •Hair loss, or thinning of the fur
    •Dark pigmentation of the skin that is chronically infected
    •Sudden depigmentation of skin

Allergies and other dermatological issues can be as frustrating for pet owners and their veterinarians as they can be for pets. I encourage any pet owner whose animal is experiencing any of these symptoms to consult with their veterinarian.

#84643 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The thing to remember at this point in your journey is that, just like for people, balancing the diet over time rather than every single meal is just fine. Feed as much variety as possible, which means collect as many different recipes as you can find. Try one and then try another. Dog Aware is one site to find a few recipes. Dr Karen Becker has a book full of ideas. And there are other books out there.

#84685 Report Abuse
    Rebecca` O

Hey,

I was reading this thread and couldn’t help but wonder if you have ever tried Pooch & Mutt’s Bionic Biotic?

It’s a natural health supplement and can be sprinkled on any food for scratching, biting, itching, and other things like solid stools, digestion, and just overall health! It has pre and probiotics in and might be worth a try. They currently have 15% off and full money back guarantee if you don’t see a results, you just need to send the empty pack back. Loads of good reviews on their website and it really worked for my dogs (www.poochandmutt.com/product-reviews/)

https://www.poochandmutt.co.uk/product/bionic-biotic-supplement-for-digestion-skin-coat-and-condition/

#86031 Report Abuse
    alexis w

from my research i have found that a lot of times what seems like a food allergy is actually a nutrient deficiency, have you thought about giving a good supplement with the homemade food? i see you were suggested to give a multivitamin. I have found Nupro All Natural Dog Food Supplement to be very high quality and it supplies calcium as well so you don’t have to worry as much about the amount of calcium you are adding to the diet. I actually feed a low carb, higher protein grain free diet to my pup and since I have started it she has stopped itching and licking. here is a link to my blog with some recipes and a link to the Nupro website at the bottom of each recipe: http://www.calliefoodrecipes.wordpress.com

#86045 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Alexis: just a word of caution: you are spamming this forum with a link to your blog…I’m not a mod here but you may want to stop.

#86047 Report Abuse
    alexis w

sorry didnt know it was considered spam, i won’t post a link again

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.