Homemade Dog Treat Recipes ♥

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Homemade Dog Treat Recipes ♥

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jaxons Mom

Hey everyone I’m brand new to raw feeding and I’m trying to learn as much as I can. Like all of you, feeding my lab mix pup the healthiest, most nutritious and enjoyable food and treats possible is extremely important. I think it would be fantastic if there was a thread for anyone who would be so kind to share any recipes they may have for homemade healthy treats that compliment a raw diet! Also I will be investing in a food dehydrator, so recipes & tips for making dehydrated treats is welcome as well.

I go through a lot of treats currently as I do 1-3 sessions daily that last anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I break them up to be pea sized, and I use dehydrated liver, but it gets pricey. Looking forward to trying out some recipes!!

#83173 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I actually use food for treats so I don’t have any homemade suggestions. I’ve used Core Air Dried as treats. They are almost peanut-size.

#83174 Report Abuse
    El

Hi Jaxons Mom, Welcome to the forums!

I make jerky treats for my crew. Here’s a recipe;

Boneless skinless chicken, turkey, or duck breasts. You can also use beef, pork, fish, etc.

– Trim off ALL the external fat.
    – Slice meat as thinly as possible, 1/4 inch MAXIMUM thickness. Try to keep all meat the same thickness.
    – Place on a slightly greased rack in oven.
    – Set oven to lowest temp, usually 200 degrees F.
    – If possible, leave the oven door slightly open, this will allow the moist air to be removed faster.
    – Jerky is done when it snaps in half when you you bend it.

If you are going to use a dehydrator, I recommend this type;

http://www.amazon.com/TSM-Products-Stainless-Dehydrator-Shelves/dp/B002UUT4BY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456011819&sr=8-1&keywords=tsm+dehydrator

If you use a dehydrator like the one above, the things that change are the temp, 165 instead of 200, and if you get one with 3/4 inch holes in the racks, you will NOT have to grease them. If it has racks with 1/4 inch holes, you will still have to grease them. I recommend stainless steel racks with 3/4 inch holes for all types of jerky.

I am very happy with your feeding philosophy, and so are your pups (yes, they told me so) 😉

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by El.
    #83195 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Do you add a small amount of salt and garlic to your jerky?

#88927 Report Abuse
    Linda S

Hi, I actually make & sell a delicious all natural chicken dog treat using Murray’s chicken. Find out all about Murray’s by clicking on this link. Murrayschicken.com If you are interested in trying my product out please email me. You won’t be disappointed. My own dogs luv’em!

#97473 Report Abuse
    Kari P

I LOVE this topic. I’m looking for different recipes to make homemade treats for my dog. I’ve seen dog cakes, biscuits, and ice cream that I would love to replicate.

My boyfriend makes dog treats out of spent grain leftover from brewing homemade beer.

2 cups of spent grain
    1 cup flour
    1 egg
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Spread the mixture thin and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 225 and cook for another 2 hours to dry them out. The treats must be dry otherwise they will mold when you store them.

Our dog and our friends’ dogs happily gobble these treats. Obviously they are not nutritionally balanced, but the ingredients aren’t harmful and its a great way to make home brewing more sustainable.

#97474 Report Abuse
    Kari P

My friend also makes her dogs frozen peanut butter and banana treats. She just slices bananas, dabs PB on top, and freezes them on a cookie sheet.

This summer I’m going to try to make dog ice cream using dog safe ingredients like peanut butter, banana, cheese, sweet potato, carrots, and blueberries. I’m just planning on putting everything in a blender/food processor then freezing it in a muffin tin. I think it would be easy to do and less expensive than buying dog ice cream for him.

#103388 Report Abuse
    Sarah G

I have recently came across a great website, which has a variety of homemade dog treat recipes – Healthy, Organic, Treats for dogs who have diabetes etc… (www.puredogtreats.com). I was looking for new high value treats to use when I am training with my dog. I used to buy dog treats from the store, but they where becoming so expensive, which is why I now make my treats at home. I avoid giving my dog treats that contains unnecessary chemicals, artificial colors and preservatives – so I am always on a hunt for healthy treats that will benefit my dog. I found my dogs new favorite treat on this website,and she goes crazy for it – The treat is called ‘Dehydrated Liver and Oregano Strips’.

#104144 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I make treats for my dog, I use 2 cups of oatflour (you can use any flour you want) and I use beef baby food (infant ones) it only has beef and broth for ingredients, and 1 teaspoon oil and 4 ounces of water., mix the tough and roll and cut with bone cookie cutter. bake at 325 for 30 minutes and lower to 300 bake for 30 more minutes.

#104319 Report Abuse
    Mike P

Great topic, 2 great recipes there Kari P. I made a similar dog ice cream to the one you mention there with sweet potato being the main ingredient as my dog can’t get enough of it

#110803 Report Abuse
    C P

Just found this site. I have a large Golden Retriever who loves these home made frozen treats, though it seems he loves everything so should really knows.

1 15 oz can of pumpkin and a equal amount of vanilla yogurt ( I use a low fat)
    1 banana
    4 tablespoons natural peanut butter
    2 tablespoons honey

Blend it together. We pour it into some dog molds we got of Amazon and store overnight in the freezer

#113042 Report Abuse
    Therok90

Can I add a small amount of sugar to my homemade dog treats?

#115747 Report Abuse
    Michael B

Hello all. I’m a new member from the Great Southern Land ( Australia ) and I have a query about making my own treats for my dog. It’s winter time here and I’m in the process of making a few large batches of Pea and Ham Soup, using a bacon hock as the source of ham. Before I start, I have to take the skin off the hock, which leads me to my question. If I put the skin in my dehydrator and dry it out, would it be OK to give to my dog as a treat?

I know there are all sorts of reason not to give a dog salted and smoke cured meats, but I’m not sure if that applies to the skin as well.

#127007 Report Abuse
    Praveen K

If you want to know how to make homemade dog treats or benefits of the grain-free treats at home for your dog then visit http://www.dogcarehelp.com/best-homemade-food-for-dogs/ and know about the percentage of carbohydrates and protein does a need for homemade dog recipes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.