šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kvee

Hello,

Susie is about to turn 10 months! I don’t want to put her on any commercial flea treatment. Miraculously, she’d never had any issues with fleas. She was fresh and clean when we adopted her from a high-kill county shelter. Anyhow, has any of you kept your pooches from those flea meds? I am hesitant to use anything, I’d like to think that whatever is going on with Susie is a deterrent for bugs. You know, like some kids dont catch lice but others do?

I’ve read many things, from the Mercola spray, to lavender oil, to ACV with the mother in their water.
    What are the effects of ACV to a dog if daily consumed?

Thank you in anticipation.

*I apologize if this was already brought up, I was scratching around the forum and didn’t find anything*

#37940 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

My 10 year old Golden Retriever went 8 or 9 years taking GARLIC and NEVER NEVER had a flea. I bought the Whole Foods little round Garlic capsules (pink label) and dropped one in her morning and night bowls and she ate it with the food. NO FLEAS EVERRRRRRR. How easy.

Then my vet put her on Sentinel. It covers fleas. So no more garlic. Check on the health of garlic for dogs before you consider it. I read about it in a HOLISTIC DOG CARE BOOK. It WORKED FOR SURE. And is cheap and I think safe. She is 60 pounds and healthy. Check and be sure it’s healthy first – never know- they’re always finding out bad things about what we think is Good. Otherwise, believe me, it WORKS.

#37954 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I use ACV daily diluted with water. If you don’t dilute it, it can erode the enamel on the teeth. I also give my dogs garlic every other day or 3 days on and 4 days off.

#37956 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi BCnut-
    How much ACV per 80 lb dog. I have started giving a couple cloves of fresh garlic 2 or 3 days a week. Thanks.

#37964 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

ACV – can you give a hint as to what your dilution is? a good guess maybe? Thanks.

#37966 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi kvee,

I wanted so badly to use an alternate methods of flea control this year. I purchased Mercola Natural Flea and Tick Defense, which was later recommended by my integrative vet also.

But, my primary defense was to be Springtime’s Bug Off Garlic. I chose the granules, which is just garlic; but, they also make a chewable with other ingredients. Sadly, my dog with some food intolerance issues had a reaction and I wasn’t able to continue the product. I know plenty of folks here have mentioned that they’ve used this product with amazing success. If you have concerns about garlic, visit this link and be sure to click on the “studies / etc.” tab for lots of great information and studies about giving your dog garlic: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs

#37983 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I give 1/2 tablespoon of ACV per cup of food, no matter what kind of food it is, dry, canned, raw, etc. You have to dilute it at least 50/50 with water, but I also add water to my dogs’ food so I dilute it more than that.

I use freshly crushed cloves of garlic, which is why I don’t use it daily. Freshly crushed cloves are more potent. Springtime has a high sulfur strain of garlic that is excellent for bug control and is probably safer for every day use than fresh garlic, but you lose some of the other benefits of garlic.

#37999 Report Abuse
    kvee

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.